Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nervous about psu

Last response: in Components
December 9, 2012 8:52:23 PM

I just bought a PC from Cyberpowerpc. i5-2500k gtx 670 everything all good. Except I took the cheap route on the PSU. Saving $20 I picked a cheap PSU and now Im worried it will die out and ruin all the parts. I never heard of this PSU so I cant look up any reviews. Is this PSU as bad as I think it is?
Link to the only info I could find : http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=POWERSU...

More about : nervous psu

a c 260 ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 9:33:06 PM

ifrenzy said:
I just bought a PC from Cyberpowerpc. i5-2500k gtx 670 everything all good. Except I took the cheap route on the PSU. Saving $20 I picked a cheap PSU and now Im worried it will die out and ruin all the parts. I never heard of this PSU so I cant look up any reviews. Is this PSU as bad as I think it is?
Link to the only info I could find : http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/spec/getspec.aspx?n=POWERSU...

Hi - It does look like a sub-standard PSU as relating to quality PSU's with modern platforms.
However, It should still be able run your system as is.

PSU's are the last thing that should be skimped on, as a bad one can damage other components,
yet many people do exactly that.

Tom
December 9, 2012 9:33:56 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - It does look like a sub-standard PSU as relating to quality PSU's with modern platforms.
However, It should still be able run your system as is.

PSU's are the last thing that should be skimped on, as a bad one can damage other components,
yet many people do exactly that.

Tom

But is this gonna die after 2 weeks or will this last a long time?
Related resources
a c 260 ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 9:39:55 PM

ifrenzy said:
But is this gonna die after 2 weeks or will this last a long time?

I doubt very much it will die in 2 weeks. Is it a good quality PSU - NO,
but is it capable of runnung your sys - YES.

What you might want to consider is start saving for an upgrade(not watts - but quality),
and plan on replacing in 6 months or so.

Brands to consider Seasonic, Corsair AX, HX, TX series, XFX, PC P&C, Antec, Enermax.

Post your sys specs if you want an idea of what power you need.

Tom
December 9, 2012 9:45:53 PM

toyftw said:
I doubt very much it will die in 2 weeks. Is it a good quality PSU - NO,
but is it capable of runnung your sys - YES.

What you might want to consider is start saving for an upgrade(not watts - but quality),
and plan on replacing in 6 months or so.

Brands to consider Seasonic, Corsair AX, HX, TX series, XFX, PC P&C, Antec, Enermax.

Post your sys specs if you want an idea of what power you need.

Tom

About a month or two I'll be able to have money to spend again. Here are the pc parts.
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card EVGA SUPERCLOCKED

Best solution

December 9, 2012 9:51:50 PM

Looks like its a Xtreme Gear 700W a cheap no name brand Cyberpower uses in there builds, so I would defiantly replace it with a quality unit as soon as possible.

Here are a few I recommend, all units are built by Seasonic and come with a 5 year warranty.

Seasonic
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PC Power & Cooling

XFX

a c 260 ) Power supply
December 9, 2012 9:56:10 PM

ifrenzy said:
About a month or two I'll be able to have money to spend again. Here are the pc parts.
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, HDMI, GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III, 2x Gen2 PCIe x16 & PCI
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card EVGA SUPERCLOCKED

Hi again - When you're ready to purch., come back to the forum here (a lot can change in the next few months)
and you can get an up to date recommendation. I listed several quality brands above, as far as power goes,
your system will function nicely with 500w, so I'd go with a quality 550w unit, 650w & up if you're going to
SLI/CF.

Tom
December 9, 2012 9:56:27 PM

Best answer selected by iFrenZy.
December 9, 2012 10:06:15 PM

toyftw said:
Hi again - When you're ready to purch., come back to the forum here (a lot can change in the next few months)
and you can get an up to date recommendation. I listed several quality brands above, as far as power goes,
your system will function nicely with 500w, so I'd go with a quality 550w unit, 650w & up if you're going to
SLI/CF.

Tom

Thanks for your help! :) 
!