PSU blew up?

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Bought this base build off of a manufacturer but the GPU was terrible. I decided to upgrade the 63w with a 250w and after about 20 minutes of testing on FarCry 3 there was a small bang and the whole system cut off accompanied by a smell of burning wood. Haven't yet plugged it back into the mains as I am cautious of the possibility of it damaging the rest of the build. Anyway, I have bought myself an Corsair CX600 assuming my old PSU is bust. Do you think I should attempt running the IGPU in order to check if the components are working properly or not take the risk? Thanks forum.

Uh, what was your configuration and what happened, what did you change, etc. Its kind of hard to tell in your post. Never haerd of an Altair CX600... Though the Corsair CX600 is decent. I would try it without the gpu in the system to see if it boots first.

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Yes a few typos and autocorrects there, GPU* Corsair* Maybe I'll try it out, I had the AMD FX 4170 quadcore "professionally" overclocked to 4.4GHz, 8GB RAM, just 1 stick and a 2 TB Hard Drive. 78LMT-USB3 MOBO if that's relevant. The GPU that I installed was the GTX 480

That gfx card draws ~300w load, that cpu oc+mobo+ram can reach 200w load, more hdd, fans, i can see it reach 550w or ~600w, and i can see it blowing up with a crappy no name brand psu of 500w or 600w.
The corsair cx 600w might do, and there isn't a on die gpu(igpu) on that cpu(fx-4170).
You could have some components damaged by that.

darksparten

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
You're retarded, there's no other way you can say it.

The GTX480 has a minimum power requirement of 600W, the FX-6300 has a TDP of 95w, both those components share the 12V rail on your 250w power supply. I wouldn't be suprised if they overloaded and blew out your CPU, GPU, PSU, and maybe even your motherboard is dead.

Never cheap out on PSU, I always get at least 100w headroom over what I need for my build.

EDIT: Actually no, I have a decent quality TX750 powering a 3930k and Radeon 7950, I don't overclock. Also, I may have been rude but this is just funny, who puts a real PCI card+current gen tri-core CPU on a tri core CPU.

Also the listed min of a GTX480 is 600w, it probably doesn't use 600 watts, but still, with power draw of 200-300w this build is still a terrible idea.

Oh look, one of those guys that buys 10 dollar 1kw PSUs from ebay. Please do not be rude when you are not entirely sure of what you are talking about.

I can list various sources that completely rip apart your "information". You could however simply type this into google GTX 480 Power requirement.

Depending on the quality of the power supply as well as capacitor aging 100w headroom might not be enough. Take a CX500w,(which isn't bad quality) That can only output around 400w at max load. You do NOT ever want to be at max load. You ideally want to stay in the 60-75% range. Just classifying it as 100w overhead and leaving it at that leaves a lot to be desired. Especially if said buyer wanted to overclock any component.

And yes I am being a bit rude but IMHO you are very much more so. If you continue to act in such ways as to belittle a user I doubt people here will look to favorably in your direction.

Edit: Oh and TDP =/= wattage of a component.

A TX750 can handle 2 7950s + 3930k. Assuming no overclocking.

D05%20Power%20Maximum.png

Not sure what you meant about the "PCI card + current gen tri-core CPU on a tri core CPU"... what?

I am using a 6870 on an athlon 2 x3, does everything I want it to do. Got the CPU on sale and haven't found a reason to upgrade it yet.

Never trust listed minimum specs.

Edit: woops double posted.

olie777

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Well I was told that as the old build was quite low power the new GPU could run on the old pre-installed PSU for a good few months before it decided to give up. Not 20 minutes. Anyway, I've ordered a decent, heard of PSU that should accommodate the GPU with 100w+ left over.
"PCI card + current gen tri-core CPU on a tri core CPU" ???