Sign in with
Your question

Ultimate Silence - Fanless PSU

December 9, 2012 8:57:28 PM

How you all doing?

I am in the process of rebuilding/updating my system. It's a bit of a radical build on my part, not in terms of components, but what I want from it.

So, I'm looking at this Azza Case, Genesis 9000. Like the design, the reversible MB Tray, the front mounted PSU... the option for dual PSUs.

I am interested in dual PSUs because I want to go fanless for the PSU in my next build, and I want the PSU to be 80Plus Platinum. Now, my system takes about 700-750 watts (CPU, Mobo, dual Radeon 6950s which possibly may become dual Radeon 7970s, and a watercooling loop that features a Koolance PMP-400 and an XSPC750).

The largest fanless PSU is 500W, which is clearly not enough. So, that would mean I would either have to give up on going fanless, or go with dual PSUs. I haven't found an actual answer to the question of how dangerous this is. The Y-adapters negate the need for risky self mods, and I would be leaning to two of these Seasonic power supplies, but I can't seem to find a consistent answer to whether there are severe risks with dual PSUs or just people making bad mistakes. So, anyone got any ideas?
!