Sign in with
Your question

Problem with new build

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2012 3:04:21 AM

Hello Toms!

I am a lurker and usually only post when I have problems. I am going to need your services again.

In 2007 I build my first custom PC. It went flawlessly. It has been running beautifully until this day. But, it was time to upgrade. I use it mostly for gaming and movie watching etc.

So, I waited very long for sandy bridge to end and jumped on ivy bridge when it came out. Very happy with it BTW and an SSD is super fast compared to HDD's of old. Sorry I'm rambling.

Current specs are as follows:

I7 3770K (In hindsight I didn't need this and could have gone with the next lower level. Oh well, new good job syndrome I guess)
8GB Kingston HyperX RAM
Gigabyte Z77X-UDH3 mobo
Gigabyte 7870OC
Seasonic 650W Xseries (I think 650, might be 670 but it's in that range)
Ocz vertex 3 120GB SSD
Using old HDD's for continued storage

So that's the meat of my system, now the problem.

I get all the parts an put it together in my case and turn the power on and the fans whirr up but no picture on the screen. The intel 4000HD works though. OK. I can deal with this! Into bios and check to make sure integrated graphics are turned off and such. Start up again and absolutely nothing! Uh oh! Whew, gigabyte has a bios reset on their mobo for goofs like me. Ok, so back to no picture on my 7870.
I swap out to my good old trusty 4870 and it works perfectly. Hmmmmmmm. I then tried my 7870 in another computer and it worked. Wha?!
So I tried my old power supply (just used it on the bench with the two 6-pins plugged into the 7870 in the new system) still nothing.

Here is where the fireworks occurred. I was trying that new Dota2 game during a break from the madness (on my 4870) and the computer just shut off. Sat for 10 sec or so just staring at the screen. OK. Press power button, the fans light up and the the power supply immediately shut off again. GRRR. I unplug power supply from and wait a while and try again. Same thing. I turn it back off and back on again and then turn the computer on and it stays on! Success! zap, a chip on my trusty 4870 starts to glow, redder and redder SHUT THE POWER OFF! (there was a little smoke too, it was a good one)

So, now my trusty 4870 is toast (luckily visiontek offers lifetime warranty which I have used one time prior to this for unbearable squealing sounds from the video card) so I am going to be sending it back for a replacement.
I have also contacted seasonic about what happened to the video card and they said if the power supply is on, it's pretty much working as intended. I measured voltages when I got it and they were good (just on 6-pin because that's where I'm having the problem) but am unsure how to measure the current with my little 10A multimeter.
Gigabyte had me send them the 7870 but they found nothing wrong with it at their end, which I suspected. Now I'm wondering if it the motherboard.

I am very frustrated. I am only home weekends due to work and it's no fun having skyrim half done and just going through a steam sale and not being able to play all the new games during my weekends off :(  I just want to find the problem and get it fixed. Any insight you have would be HUGELY appreciated.

More about : problem build

July 28, 2012 3:09:04 AM

Sounds like the motherboard to me. Gigabyte is a reasonable manufacturer but they're not the best.

Seasonic is right, if the PSU is on and the voltages are stable it's working as intended. If the chip starts glowing it's because there's another problem at work.

Replace that motherboard with an Asus P8Z77 series board instead
July 28, 2012 3:12:32 AM

The weirdest thing is why the 4870 would work in the same motherboard but not the new 7870. Blows my mind.

I still need to hear back from gigabyte regarding the motherboard. I'd like to try to get what I have working first before spending more money, but thanks for the suggesting! I will surely consider it if no other options work.
Related resources
July 28, 2012 3:14:25 AM

festa_freak said:
The weirdest thing is why the 4870 would work in the same motherboard but not the new 7870. Blows my mind.

I still need to hear back from gigabyte regarding the motherboard. I'd like to try to get what I have working first before spending more money, but thanks for the suggesting! I will surely consider it if no other options work.

Some X79 boards required a firmware update to fix sensor and power problems with the 7000 series cards but they still worked and I figured that problem would have been resolved in time for the Z77's initial release. It could have something to do with the PCIe bus negotiation or onboard PCIe power delivery.

Seing as your 4870 popped it might have been the latter.
July 28, 2012 3:16:25 AM

Hmmm, It sounds like your 4870 short circuited (gotta love part warranties though) As for your 7870, it can be multiple things. Does it register in the bios?
July 28, 2012 3:20:32 PM

No it does not. It doesn't display in device manager either. Honestly I'm pretty new to firmware upgrades. With gigabyte they give you this @bios program which automatically updates your bios. Is this all I need to run?

Edit: I upgraded to the newest bios upgrade, F11, with no changes to my problem. I also installed Intel chipset update with no changes.
July 28, 2012 6:13:11 PM

Have you installed the driver disc that came with your new gpu?
July 28, 2012 7:57:37 PM

festa_freak said:
No it does not. It doesn't display in device manager either. Honestly I'm pretty new to firmware upgrades. With gigabyte they give you this @bios program which automatically updates your bios. Is this all I need to run?

Edit: I upgraded to the newest bios upgrade, F11, with no changes to my problem. I also installed Intel chipset update with no changes.

Yeah those are them. Normally they fix minor issues but with the exception of SDRAM and new processors they rarely fix outright incompatibilities
July 28, 2012 9:01:09 PM

AxelTDH said:
Have you installed the driver disc that came with your new gpu?

It doesn't detect the video card in windows so it says that there is no AMD video card to install drivers for. I receive an error and the driver doesn't install.
July 28, 2012 9:34:51 PM

After reviewing all of the information, it seems like the gpu is not the problem. It sounds like something is wrong with your motherboard (this might also explain what happened to your old graphics card) The PCI socket might have gone dead. This would also explain why it will not detect the 7870. I would advise that you get in contact with gigabyte so you can get a replacement board
!