Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
So this will be my first build ever and I would like to get some opinions on my hardware choices.

Case- Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

Mobo- ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77

GPU- HIS IceQ X H787QN2G2M Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB

PSU- SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST85F-G 850W

CPU- Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

RAM- Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB)

DVD Reader and burner- LG DVD Burner Black

Sound Card- Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe

CPU fan- Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Build cost + monitor= $1,298.90

This will be mostly for video editing and design, with some gaming on the side.I'm also on a tight budget so if you have any suggestions to change on my build please make sure it is under the 1400 dollar mark. Thanks. Also if you're curious about the monitor it is a Asus VE228H 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD Monitor with speaker bundled with it.
Thanks for your guy's help. I really appreciate it!

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Are you planning to overclock? Are you planning to add a second gpu? If not, you don't need the Noctua cooler, it is overkill unless you are doing a pretty big overclock and though it works great, its expensive (you said you were on a budget). The 850w power supply is also overkill...I run a more powerful system off a 460w psu (and it actually only draws 270w). For $100 less, you can get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

DeusAres

Distinguished
Here, try this...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ddXA

May as well get the newer tech. Grab the 3770k instead of the 2600k for it's pci gen 3. The cooler master hyper 212 evo cpu cooler is the best bang for the buck cooler on the market. No need for the noctua. The hyper 212 will easily get you to 4.4/4.5GHz. I wouldn't push it any farther though.

For video editing and design, I'd go with 16gb of RAM along with a gtx 670 for it's Cuda cores.

When you get the cash, add a SSD as an upgrade. For now, put as much cash in the GPU, CPU, and RAM for your video editing and gaming needs.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Yes. I got the 2600k for that specific reason, to overclok it, and I made sure that I had enough power for a second gpu. So what psu would you recommend me if I wish to overclock and add a second gpu. I hope to add the Radeon 7970.

Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

That is wonderful! I got all the stuff I listed up there from newegg, but that is much better! Thank you so much! I'm still wondering on the 212 evo though. I have had things from CM before that have been very unreliable. My trust with that company is very low.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Even with my build suggestion, it's less expensive than your original build and you get the gtx 670, the 3770k and the extra RAM. I don't get it. Do you have to buy all your parts from a certain place for more or something? You mentioned your absolute budget above is around $1400. :??:

And no, you sadly can't crossfire the 7870 and the 7970. It has to be the same card. Either crossfire two 7870s or two 7970s. And yes, the hd 7870 is a strong performer. Highly recommend it if you can't afford the gtx 670. :) I'd even recommend the hd 7950. You can sometimes find it on sale on newegg for around $330. :D

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

DeusAres

Distinguished

DeusAres

Distinguished
I'm confused...

Are you trolling me right now? I could've sworn I just read a different message than what I replied to...

What products have you had trouble with before concerning cooler master? I might be able to help clarify that situation for you...or at least offer a better alternative. :)

[Edit]
Ah, nevermind. I see, lol. You changed your mind...YAY!! lmao

Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Lol no I'm not. And I have owned a few fans on my old computer from ibuypower. They were some 140mm fans. I sent them in and got them replaced and the replaced ones died out in half a year like the first ones. But so far the third replacements are doing ok.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Lol no I'm not. And I have owned a few fans on my old computer from ibuypower. They were some 140mm fans. I sent them in and got them replaced and the replaced ones died out in half a year like the first ones. But so far the third replacements are doing ok.

The hyper 212 evo consistently gets great reviews. As long as you mount it correctly, it'll work just fine. It's really no more difficult than mounting the noctua. I can almost guarantee you won't have any trouble. 110% positive. :D

Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

Well if it saves me some money then I'm all for it!Thanks. Bummer that I can't crossfire what I wanted to. So I think I'll go with your build and then next year add another 670 to it. Thanks I appreciate your help! :)

DeusAres

Distinguished

Yeah I really want the gtx 670 but I really can't shell out 400 bucks for it. So right now I'm stuck with the AMD 7870. Which is a good gpu. Performs like the gtx 570 and has 2gb vram. I was thinking to get the AMD 7970 next year and crossfiring them (I think that is possible or I may be mistaken?). Thanks for the 16gig suggestion I would still be in my budget if I got the Kingston hyper x 2x8 gig though! I appreciate that. And the 3770k looks a little too pricy. I would have to choose whether to upgrade the cpu or the ram, and even then it may be over my budget by a bit

That ^ ...glad he changed his mind. Gonna get a big boost in performance with the gtx 670. You won't regret it. :)

DeusAres

Distinguished

Glad I could help. And don't sweat the crossfire issue. You'll be far happier with the gtx 670. Good luck! :D

DeusAres

Distinguished

Damn, that truly is a bummer. :(

You can't sell it and make up the difference for a gtx 670?

Brandon_1877

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks everybody for your help! The final build will cost me around $1450 through newegg. Though if there's a cheaper way that's equally reliable I'm all ears! I appreciate your guys' help very much!

DeusAres

Distinguished
You could downgrade the RAM to 8gb. That'll save you about $50.

You could get this PSU, it'll also save a few bucks...

PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027&Tpk=pc%20power%20and%20cooling%20750w

I'd at least stick with a semi-modular psu for cable management, though.
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139030&Tpk=corsair%20tx750m

You could save a few dollars by downgrading both your case and storage a bit.