  • Boot
  • Customization
  • Windows XP
April 22, 2005 6:58:12 PM

How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
command? How is this done?

Thanks

More about : recovery partition

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:58:13 PM

ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?

you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed? did
they recieve a rescue cd?

when you load the system can you start the recovery console?

basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...

"JCO" wrote:

> How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
> the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
> boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
> command? How is this done?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 6:58:13 PM

You can learn all about accessing the Recovery method of the PC
by reading the User's Guide that came with the PC or by visiting
the PC manufacturer's support web site.

How to Make a Good Newsgroup Post
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

" JCO" wrote:

| How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
| the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
| boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
| command? How is this done?
|
| Thanks
April 22, 2005 6:58:13 PM

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:58:12 GMT, JCO wrote:

> How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
> the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
> boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
> command? How is this done?
>
> Thanks

There's no one procedure for doing this. Each OEM's recovery program can
work a little differently. The variance can also happen with two machines
from the same manufacturer.

Best source for this information would be in the documentation that came
with the system. If none to be found, check the manufacturer's website.
Look up the exact model to avoid getting the wrong set of directions.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Manufacture is HP
My friend wiped the C-drive clean.
No recovery console, however I loaded xp from my CD therefore I can add the
recovery console to it if I can remember how to do that.
He does not have a rescue disk/cd
Also, the Recovery partition is Fat32 and the other two partitions are NTFS.

"tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?
>
> you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed? did
> they recieve a rescue cd?
>
> when you load the system can you start the recovery console?
>
> basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...
>
> "JCO" wrote:
>
> > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
system by
> > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can
you
> > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
> > command? How is this done?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:43:44 PM

You may get some helpful insight from this thread:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17...

" JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p Y8ae.129$Nc.116@trnddc08...
> Manufacture is HP
> My friend wiped the C-drive clean.
> No recovery console, however I loaded xp from my CD therefore I can add
the
> recovery console to it if I can remember how to do that.
> He does not have a rescue disk/cd
> Also, the Recovery partition is Fat32 and the other two partitions are
NTFS.

> "tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?
> >
> > you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed?
did
> > they recieve a rescue cd?
> >
> > when you load the system can you start the recovery console?
> >
> > basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...
> >
> > "JCO" wrote:
> >
> > > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
> system by
> > > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems.
Can
> you
> > > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
> > > command? How is this done?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:47:37 PM

He can't find his stuff that came with the computer or I would of done that.
I'm trying to help him out the best that I know how. I loaded XP from my CD
but don't want to keep my copy on his computer. If I could access the
Recovery, then I can restore it to HIS original computer software.

> You can learn all about accessing the Recovery method of the PC
> by reading the User's Guide that came with the PC or by visiting
> the PC manufacturer's support web site.
>
> How to Make a Good Newsgroup Post
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> " JCO" wrote:
>
> | How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
system by
> | the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can
you
> | boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
> | command? How is this done?
> |
> | Thanks

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 7:47:38 PM

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us...

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=710...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

" JCO" wrote:

| He can't find his stuff that came with the computer or I would of done that.
| I'm trying to help him out the best that I know how. I loaded XP from my CD
| but don't want to keep my copy on his computer. If I could access the
| Recovery, then I can restore it to HIS original computer software.
Anonymous
April 23, 2005 12:01:27 AM

After searching for all exe's (show hidden/system files) on the Recovery
Drive, I found the proper executable that launches the application. I tried
a Destructive Recovery, which means it formats the drive first then
installs. However, it had many errors... not being able to extract lots of
files. This means that I would never have an opportunity to create the
Recovery CD's either...since this image is corrupted.

I guess I have no choice but to somehow get a Recovery Disk from HP (and you
know how tough that will be).