Recovery Partition

How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
command? How is this done?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply
More about recovery partition

    ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?

    you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed? did
    they recieve a rescue cd?

    when you load the system can you start the recovery console?

    basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...

    "JCO" wrote:

    > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
    > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
    > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
    > command? How is this done?
    >
    > Thanks

    You can learn all about accessing the Recovery method of the PC
    by reading the User's Guide that came with the PC or by visiting
    the PC manufacturer's support web site.

    How to Make a Good Newsgroup Post
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:58:12 GMT, JCO wrote:

    > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends system by
    > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can you
    > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
    > command? How is this done?
    >
    > Thanks

    There's no one procedure for doing this. Each OEM's recovery program can
    work a little differently. The variance can also happen with two machines
    from the same manufacturer.

    Best source for this information would be in the documentation that came
    with the system. If none to be found, check the manufacturer's website.
    Look up the exact model to avoid getting the wrong set of directions.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Manufacture is HP
    My friend wiped the C-drive clean.
    No recovery console, however I loaded xp from my CD therefore I can add the
    recovery console to it if I can remember how to do that.
    He does not have a rescue disk/cd
    Also, the Recovery partition is Fat32 and the other two partitions are NTFS.

    "tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?
    >
    > you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed? did
    > they recieve a rescue cd?
    >
    > when you load the system can you start the recovery console?
    >
    > basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...
    >
    > "JCO" wrote:
    >
    > > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
    system by
    > > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can
    you
    > > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
    > > command? How is this done?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    You may get some helpful insight from this thread:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17522

    " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Manufacture is HP
    > My friend wiped the C-drive clean.
    > No recovery console, however I loaded xp from my CD therefore I can add
    the
    > recovery console to it if I can remember how to do that.
    > He does not have a rescue disk/cd
    > Also, the Recovery partition is Fat32 and the other two partitions are
    NTFS.

    > "tiiim" <tiiim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > ok we need more information, who is the manafacture?
    > >
    > > you mention windows 98 but does your friend have windows xp installed?
    did
    > > they recieve a rescue cd?
    > >
    > > when you load the system can you start the recovery console?
    > >
    > > basically we need more info so we know what we are working with...
    > >
    > > "JCO" wrote:
    > >
    > > > How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
    > system by
    > > > the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems.
    Can
    > you
    > > > boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
    > > > command? How is this done?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    He can't find his stuff that came with the computer or I would of done that.
    I'm trying to help him out the best that I know how. I loaded XP from my CD
    but don't want to keep my copy on his computer. If I could access the
    Recovery, then I can restore it to HIS original computer software.

    > You can learn all about accessing the Recovery method of the PC
    > by reading the User's Guide that came with the PC or by visiting
    > the PC manufacturer's support web site.
    >
    > How to Make a Good Newsgroup Post
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > " JCO" wrote:
    >
    > | How do I execute the Recovery Partition that was put on my friends
    system by
    > | the manufacture. He wiped his system clean after having problems. Can
    you
    > | boot using a Win98 boot disk, go to the recovery drive, then execute a
    > | command? How is this done?
    > |
    > | Thanks

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    " JCO" wrote:

    | He can't find his stuff that came with the computer or I would of done that.
    | I'm trying to help him out the best that I know how. I loaded XP from my CD
    | but don't want to keep my copy on his computer. If I could access the
    | Recovery, then I can restore it to HIS original computer software.

    After searching for all exe's (show hidden/system files) on the Recovery
    Drive, I found the proper executable that launches the application. I tried
    a Destructive Recovery, which means it formats the drive first then
    installs. However, it had many errors... not being able to extract lots of
    files. This means that I would never have an opportunity to create the
    Recovery CD's either...since this image is corrupted.

    I guess I have no choice but to somehow get a Recovery Disk from HP (and you
    know how tough that will be).

    > Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    > the steps outlined to perform a "destructive"
    > recovery operation.

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    > Obtaining HP Recovery CDs

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > " JCO" wrote:
    >
    > | He can't find his stuff that came with the computer or I would of done
    that.
    > | I'm trying to help him out the best that I know how. I loaded XP from
    my CD
    > | but don't want to keep my copy on his computer. If I could access the
    > | Recovery, then I can restore it to HIS original computer software.

Configuration Recovery Partition Boot Customization Windows XP