GPU Manufacturer

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hey Guys!

I'm currently looking for an upgrade for my GPU and its come down to a R7850, the only question is what manufacturer to choose...

I've pretty much narrowed down to XFX, Sapphire and maybe ASUS. i haven't had any of those before so i can't chose and behalf of my experience.

The comparison on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=7850&bop=And&CompareItemList=-1|14-150-609^14-150-609-TS%2C14-102-986^14-102-986-TS%2C14-121-623^14-121-623-TS

This is all non overclocked versions. Since i plan on over clocking myself

Note im not from America. So the prices here is different:
The XFX and ASUS is pretty much the same price the only difference is 5$
The Sapphire is about 25$ Cheaper.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The Sapphire card is sold out, so that's a non-option.

The Asus card has a slight advantage in clock speed, so if you're not planning to overclock, it will be slightly faster. Both cards have better coolers than the reference design.

I'd probably go with the Asus card. $10 cheaper and might see slightly better overclockability.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012

Weill if u didn't notice im not buying from Newegg or any other reseller in the US

Im From Denmark and everything is available here :)

Also i edited the first post.

Klaud45

Honorable
May 2, 2012
You really can't go wrong with all 3 of those. Sapphire's have excellent cooling and they make very reliable products. If you are going to be doing some intense overclocking, Asus might be the way to go.

Have you considered mSI? As far as overclocking goes, they seem to have what is considered by many to be the best software in mSI Afterburner.

Personally, I would go for the Sapphire. (And I will, once I start building my tower in a week or so) They always seem to get great reviews from vendor sites, and I just like the way it looks. But again, you can't go wrong with any of these brands, as they all have pretty solid reputations.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Im probably not going to do some intense overclocking.

The MSI card i found was preoverclocked, and i've heard they have some problems in games like Bf3.

My brother just bought the XFX card and its working good for him i think :p

Also is there any reason not to get the cheapest? ie. the Sapphire

Klaud45

Honorable
May 2, 2012

If it's cheaper and it's proven to work, why not get it??? :)

However, you've also had first hand experience of the XFX version being great, and if you aren't on a tight budget, go ahead and get that one.

However, you did mention that the Sapphire version is around $25 less than the others? That sounds pretty significant to me, and the money saved could go towards some nice peripherals.

G

I have MSI Twin Frozr III and it was factory overclocked from 860 MHz to 900 MHz, never went over 59-60 °C under load in most demanding games.

So far I have tested at least 20-30 games (all relatively new, 2008-2012) and no problems in any of them.

I overclocked it to 1050 MHz on stock voltage, temperature doesn't go over 62 °C after 1+ hour in Crysis 2 using ultra settings with DX11 and HD textures.

I think that says enough. :)

FtsArTek

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Asus, in my opinion make some of the best Radeon cards you can get. That said, I have a sapphire 6950 along with my two Asus ones and that is a great card as well. Before that I've had an XFX 9600GT and an MSI 6850 too... All of them were great, although I would personally go with Asus over Sapphire over MSI over XFX.

clay1987

Honorable
May 29, 2012

XFX gets an F by the BBB. Go to the BBB website.

As for rebates, from the zillion comments I have across various forums, it appears that the rebate service for XFX is the worse and good chance will not get promised rebate. In contrast, apparently the rebate service for Gigabyte and Sapphire are better.

But who knows. I have read so many negative comments about rebates and graphics cards, really to to the point I am not figuring the offered rebate in the price and decision-making.

Lazdaa

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
The MSI 7850 is currently selling for 1780 DKR. Which is around 240 $
So i'm probably gonna grab it

But thanks for your help!

Rebates aren't used in the Danish computer hardware market anyway.