Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advise for new monitor

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2012 4:35:00 PM

hello,

I have an older secondary pc with an intel D865GBF board and a crt monitor. I would like to replace the crt with any of the 3 options below :

Dell E190S 19" / E170S 17" / Samsung E1720NR 17"

Can I use any of these monitors that have a VGA connector with my 865gbf board without spending on an AGP graphics card? The monitors use a 15 pin D Sub which i understand is the same as VGA on my board.

The dells have a contrast ratio of 800:1 while the samsung has 3000:1. Does this matter much as I will be using it for office work only.

All monitors have a resolution (native?) of 1280 x 1024. Will I have any display problems pairing it with my board?

kindly help me with this...

regards,

savoy7

More about : advise monitor

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
June 5, 2012 5:44:14 PM

The Intel - D865GBF have the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 graphics controller. The graphics is very old but it should work even with 1280x1024 LED.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8423849_intel-extreme-graphics...
& I quote:
"Resolution Specs
The Intel Extreme Graphics 2 has a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with a frequency, or clock speed, of 350MHz. This specification indicates how frequently a graphics chip generates electronic pulses for converting computer binary code into viewable, analog signals. Using its 350MHz DAC, the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 can support the Quantum Extended Graphics Array (QXGA) resolution. QXGA entails a maximum display resolution of 2048 horizontal lines of pixels by 1536 vertical lines of pixels."

With regards to connection, 15PIN D Sub connectors are standard & will work across CRT or LCD or LED displays.
June 6, 2012 5:32:31 AM

randomkid said:
The Intel - D865GBF have the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 graphics controller. The graphics is very old but it should work even with 1280x1024 LED.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8423849_intel-extreme-graphics...
& I quote:
"Resolution Specs
The Intel Extreme Graphics 2 has a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) with a frequency, or clock speed, of 350MHz. This specification indicates how frequently a graphics chip generates electronic pulses for converting computer binary code into viewable, analog signals. Using its 350MHz DAC, the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 can support the Quantum Extended Graphics Array (QXGA) resolution. QXGA entails a maximum display resolution of 2048 horizontal lines of pixels by 1536 vertical lines of pixels."

With regards to connection, 15PIN D Sub connectors are standard & will work across CRT or LCD or LED displays.

randomkid,

thanks very much...you solved my problem. Very little info available on the net for this board with lcd/ led displays except some people with problems....but i guess those were wide screen monitors with much higher resolutions.

thanks again,

regards,

savoy7
June 6, 2012 5:33:37 AM

Best answer selected by savoy7.
!