EspiritoSanto

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hey all,

Just built my first computer from scratch. I've fooled around with replacing some parts before, but never bought all the parts and assembled them together. Well, I put them all together, and tried to start it up annnnnnnnnd.............nothing. No power. No lights, no fans turning on, nothing. Not sure what I did wrong. Below are a list of my specs:

-RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WW Black / White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-
- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX955WFK4DGM - OEM
- LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors.
-MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-DIAMOND XtremeSound XS51 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

Couple of things to know:

I have no idea where the four wires coming from my case (Led + & -, Power SW, Reset, HD LED) connect to. I just connected them as best I could anywhere on the board. This is probably the issue, but I don't know how to remedy it. Also, I don't have a voltometer (or what that thing is called)

I did connect the 24 pin connector from the power and also the little four pin connector as well. I also unplugged all the fans and everything I thought the compy could live without to see if anything would turn on, but still nothing.

I REALLY hope I didn't damage the motherboard or anything when I installed everything...I did my best to be careful when I was installing the RAM and CPU cooler...how could I tell if I had damaged it?

I hope it is just something that I am doing wrong and not some broken/damaged parts... I sold my less than two years old Alienware M11x in order to finance this new adventure, so I hope I can get it working. Headed to bed now before my wife kills me....thank you for any and all help! I'll be on again in the morning.

lourendo

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
you NEED to read your motherboard manual to connect the front I/O headers properly, remember that they include the POWER BUTTON! so if they are connected incorrectly, your power button will not do anything when pressed.

your manual
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/M7641v3.0.zip

check page 17 for info

also, do not forget to plug in your 4 pin atx power line.

also, do not forget to switch the power switch on the power supply.

if this does not work, it might be a dead PSU, Logisys PSU's are very cheap and thus have a higher chance of being DOA.

EspiritoSanto

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for info everyone. The owner's manual was especially helpful. I'm pretty sure I didn't get one, unless I threw it away by accident. It turns out I was plugging everything in wrong! Go figure!

So I got it started up, but now it is not reading my keyboard or external CD drive. Could this be because they are USB powered? Thanks for all the help!!