Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build not starting

Last response: in Systems
July 28, 2012 4:44:29 AM

Hey all,

Just built my first computer from scratch. I've fooled around with replacing some parts before, but never bought all the parts and assembled them together. Well, I put them all together, and tried to start it up annnnnnnnnd.............nothing. No power. No lights, no fans turning on, nothing. Not sure what I did wrong. Below are a list of my specs:

-RAIDMAX Blade ATX-298WW Black / White Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-
- PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX955WFK4DGM - OEM
- LOGISYS Computer PS550ABK 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply With SATA and 20/24 Pin connectors.
-MSI 760GM-P21 (FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
-Western Digital RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-DIAMOND XtremeSound XS51 5.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler

Couple of things to know:

I have no idea where the four wires coming from my case (Led + & -, Power SW, Reset, HD LED) connect to. I just connected them as best I could anywhere on the board. This is probably the issue, but I don't know how to remedy it. Also, I don't have a voltometer (or what that thing is called)

I did connect the 24 pin connector from the power and also the little four pin connector as well. I also unplugged all the fans and everything I thought the compy could live without to see if anything would turn on, but still nothing.

I REALLY hope I didn't damage the motherboard or anything when I installed everything...I did my best to be careful when I was installing the RAM and CPU cooler...how could I tell if I had damaged it?

I hope it is just something that I am doing wrong and not some broken/damaged parts... I sold my less than two years old Alienware M11x in order to finance this new adventure, so I hope I can get it working. Headed to bed now before my wife kills me....thank you for any and all help! I'll be on again in the morning.

More about : build starting

July 28, 2012 4:47:55 AM

read the motherboard manual

generally the front panel connectors are near the bottom and towards the front of the case
July 28, 2012 5:22:14 AM

you NEED to read your motherboard manual to connect the front I/O headers properly, remember that they include the POWER BUTTON! so if they are connected incorrectly, your power button will not do anything when pressed.

your manual
http://download2.msi.com/files/downloads/mnu_exe/M7641v...

check page 17 for info

also, do not forget to plug in your 4 pin atx power line.

also, do not forget to switch the power switch on the power supply.

if this does not work, it might be a dead PSU, Logisys PSU's are very cheap and thus have a higher chance of being DOA.

July 28, 2012 4:42:43 PM

Thanks for info everyone. The owner's manual was especially helpful. I'm pretty sure I didn't get one, unless I threw it away by accident. It turns out I was plugging everything in wrong! Go figure!

So I got it started up, but now it is not reading my keyboard or external CD drive. Could this be because they are USB powered? Thanks for all the help!!
!