Stack Taskbar Toolbars

April 22, 2005 3:24:04 PM

In Win2k I could "stack" my toolbars in the following way:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Start| "Quick Launch Area" | Address: |_________________| Go | Clock &

Tray Icons |
| | "Task Bar Area"
| |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In WinXP it looks like this:
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|Start|"Quick Launch | "Task Bar Area" | Address: |_______| Go | Clock
& |
| | Area" | |
|Tray Icons |
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In WinXp it appears that this is no longer an option to "stack" toolbars.
Does anyone know of a hack that will allow me to change the way this works?

Thanks,
--
Brandon Moser
IT Manager

More about : stack taskbar toolbars

Anonymous
April 22, 2005 10:01:45 PM

Are you referring specifically to Internet Explorer?
Are you referring to a Task Bar of double width?
Sorry, but I had trouble interpreting your graphic representation.
It is possible to have the sequence you depict if the Taskbar buttons are
arranged in a row below the rest of the icons. The clock, as you probably
know, is anchored to the right.
I find it hard to describe the entire process. Is there one part you are
having trouble bringing into line? Let me know; I'll do my best!

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------|

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------|

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------|

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------|

> In WinXp it appears that this is no longer an option to "stack" toolbars.
> Does anyone know of a hack that will allow me to change the way this
works?

> Thanks,
> --
> Brandon Moser
> IT Manager
> Spence, Driscoll & Company, Inc.
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 11:17:05 PM

Thanks for replying. What I was trying to depict was that in Win2k you could
have 2 rows in the taskbar (Windows) of toolbars. Between the Start button
and the SysTray, on the top row: | Quick Launch | Address | and 2nd row
(bottom) were open apps. Now I can "Stack" the toolbars but instead they sit
next to each other. This is a waste of space, since the Address bar requires
room for entry.

Any thoughts?

Brandon

"T. Waters" wrote:

> Are you referring specifically to Internet Explorer?
> Are you referring to a Task Bar of double width?
> Sorry, but I had trouble interpreting your graphic representation.
> It is possible to have the sequence you depict if the Taskbar buttons are
> arranged in a row below the rest of the icons. The clock, as you probably
> know, is anchored to the right.
> I find it hard to describe the entire process. Is there one part you are
> having trouble bringing into line? Let me know; I'll do my best!
>
> "Brandon Moser" <BrandonMoser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Win2k I could "stack" my toolbars in the following way:
> >
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------|
> > |Start| "Quick Launch Area" | Address: |_________________| Go | Clock &
> > |

> > |-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
> > Tray Icons |
> > | |

> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------|
> >
> > In WinXP it looks like this:
> >
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------|
> > |Start|"Quick Launch | "Task Bar Area" | Address: |_______| Go |
> Clock
> > & |
> > | | Area" | |
> > |Tray Icons |
> >
> |---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ------------------|
> >
> > In WinXp it appears that this is no longer an option to "stack" toolbars.
> > Does anyone know of a hack that will allow me to change the way this
> works?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Brandon Moser
> > IT Manager
> > Spence, Driscoll & Company, Inc.

April 26, 2005 12:38:32 AM

What you want can be done. I assume you have put an Address bar in the
Taskbar and removed the one in the Toolbar?
By the way, we are working with the Task Bar and one Toolbar (Quick Launch)
just to get the terminology straight.
It seems that at the moment, you have an address bar of double width and
with no space to enter anything. Hope this is correct.
I wll do my best to take you through the procedure.
1. Make the Taskbar single width, even though everything is quite crowded.
2. Grab the vertical bar to the left of your taskbar buttons and drag it
down and to the right. This should create a row of taskbar buttons below the
Quick Launch and Address.
3. Now grab the vertical bar to the left of your Address bar and drag it to
the left as far as you want it.
My initial attempt had about 20 steps, but I think I have honed it down to
the basics. Let me know if you run into problems. If #2 is balky, do the
dragging motion forcefully.

Brandon Moser wrote:
> Thanks for replying. What I was trying to depict was that in Win2k
> you could have 2 rows in the taskbar (Windows) of toolbars. Between
> the Start button and the SysTray, on the top row: | Quick Launch |
> Address | and 2nd row (bottom) were open apps. Now I can "Stack" the
> toolbars but instead they sit next to each other. This is a waste of
> space, since the Address bar requires room for entry.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Brandon
>
> "T. Waters" wrote:
>
>> Are you referring specifically to Internet Explorer?
>> Are you referring to a Task Bar of double width?
>> Sorry, but I had trouble interpreting your graphic representation.
>> It is possible to have the sequence you depict if the Taskbar
>> buttons are arranged in a row below the rest of the icons. The
>> clock, as you probably know, is anchored to the right.
>> I find it hard to describe the entire process. Is there one part you
>> are having trouble bringing into line? Let me know; I'll do my best!
>>
>> "Brandon Moser" <BrandonMoser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:71E1972A-9C01-41A5-A64E-A66EE9C60748@microsoft.com...
>>> In Win2k I could "stack" my toolbars in the following way:

---
>> ------------------|

>>> | |

---
>>> ------------------|
>>>
>>> In WinXP it looks like this:

---
>> ------------------|
>>>> |
>>> |Tray Icons |

---
>>> ------------------|
>>>
>>> In WinXp it appears that this is no longer an option to "stack"
>>> toolbars. Does anyone know of a hack that will allow me to change
>>> the way this works?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Brandon Moser
>>> IT Manager
>>> Spence, Driscoll & Company, Inc.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 1:52:29 PM

Thanks...finally got it to work. Win2k didn't require the forceful part. But
it works and I am happy, so thank you very much.

Brandon

"T. Waters" wrote:

> What you want can be done. I assume you have put an Address bar in the
> Taskbar and removed the one in the Toolbar?
> By the way, we are working with the Task Bar and one Toolbar (Quick Launch)
> just to get the terminology straight.
> It seems that at the moment, you have an address bar of double width and
> with no space to enter anything. Hope this is correct.
> I wll do my best to take you through the procedure.
> 1. Make the Taskbar single width, even though everything is quite crowded.
> 2. Grab the vertical bar to the left of your taskbar buttons and drag it
> down and to the right. This should create a row of taskbar buttons below the
> Quick Launch and Address.
> 3. Now grab the vertical bar to the left of your Address bar and drag it to
> the left as far as you want it.
> My initial attempt had about 20 steps, but I think I have honed it down to
> the basics. Let me know if you run into problems. If #2 is balky, do the
> dragging motion forcefully.
>
> Brandon Moser wrote:
> > Thanks for replying. What I was trying to depict was that in Win2k
> > you could have 2 rows in the taskbar (Windows) of toolbars. Between
> > the Start button and the SysTray, on the top row: | Quick Launch |
> > Address | and 2nd row (bottom) were open apps. Now I can "Stack" the
> > toolbars but instead they sit next to each other. This is a waste of
> > space, since the Address bar requires room for entry.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Brandon
> >
> > "T. Waters" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you referring specifically to Internet Explorer?
> >> Are you referring to a Task Bar of double width?
> >> Sorry, but I had trouble interpreting your graphic representation.
> >> It is possible to have the sequence you depict if the Taskbar
> >> buttons are arranged in a row below the rest of the icons. The
> >> clock, as you probably know, is anchored to the right.
> >> I find it hard to describe the entire process. Is there one part you
> >> are having trouble bringing into line? Let me know; I'll do my best!
> >>
> >> "Brandon Moser" <BrandonMoser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:71E1972A-9C01-41A5-A64E-A66EE9C60748@microsoft.com...

> ---

> ---

> ---

> ---

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 5:55:17 PM

So glad it worked. Not intuitive, to say the least!

!