Computer monitor won't turn on, unless I cut the power and reboot

Not sure if this is the right subsection or not, but:

This forum has gotten me out of jams before, but this time I couldn't find a thread already on it. I recently replaced my Nvidia 460 GTX with a Radeon HD 6870. All was going smoothly, but the next day when I tried to start my PC, the screen wouldn't start. If I shut it down either by holding the power button or switching off the PSU, it will reboot and the screen will work. This is, of course, not ideal, especially because it's dangerous. On top of that, it will say it needs to verify my hard drive before it fully boots, which is worrisome.

I have tried:

- sweeping my PC of both my old Nvidia drivers and the AMD ones, and reinstalling the AMD ones.
- Checking the cords, which wasn't the source of any issues.
- Making sure the Graphics card is properly grounded.

The last two wouldn't have been the problem, anyway, as the screen would work without issue after the force shut down, with no tinkering.

I'm somewhat convinced it is a driver issue, still, but even the most recent 6XXX series driver from the NVidia site and the one on the CD that came with the card don't fix the issue.

Please help!

Edit:

My specs are:

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

- AMD Phenom II Quad Core 3.4ghz

- 4 GB RAM

- Windows 7 32 Bit
7 answers Last reply
More about computer monitor turn power reboot
  1. Do you see POST messages (like the ones before Windows is Loading)?

If you do, this might sound a bit extreme but I'd suggest reinstalling windows. If it's a software issue, it will be fixed instantly.

However, if you don't, it must be something to do with hardware. What is your power supply?
  2. @ Sinus
    Hammer to crack a nut comes to mind here.

What I would do is this.

A GPU doesn't need drivers to work. So sweep the drivers and physically install the GPU. Reboot the PC and resize the screen. Shut down and restart and see where you are. If it starts with no issues then bingo its almost certain to be a driver conflict.
    Conflicting with what would be the next question.
    If it does restart ok with no issues i would look at an older release of the drivers from the AMD site.

Mactronix :)
  3. Sunius said:
    Do you see POST messages (like the ones before Windows is Loading)?

If you do, this might sound a bit extreme but I'd suggest reinstalling windows. If it's a software issue, it will be fixed instantly.

However, if you don't, it must be something to do with hardware. What is your power supply?

I don't get anything. Basically, the computer boots up fine, everything but the monitor. The monitor doesn't flinch, it just acts like it's connected to a computer that's turned off.

I have a 600w PSU.

Edit: Added additional specs to OP.
  4. mactronix said:
    @ Sinus
    Hammer to crack a nut comes to mind here.

What I would do is this.

A GPU doesn't need drivers to work. So sweep the drivers and physically install the GPU. Reboot the PC and resize the screen. Shut down and restart and see where you are. If it starts with no issues then bingo its almost certain to be a driver conflict.
    Conflicting with what would be the next question.
    If it does restart ok with no issues i would look at an older release of the drivers from the AMD site.

Alright, I sweeped the drivers, rebooted, and then shut down again. It is still doing it. I also figured out that cutting the power via holding the power button doesn't actually work, only the PSU. This leads me to believed it may be a PSU issue. My 600 watt PSU ran a GTX 460 and a Dual core 3 ghz CPU. I got a new case, a quad core 3.4 ghz CPU, and the new graphics card, and the new case has a built in fan, which may push it over it's limit.
  5. I seem to have found my solution. Apparently the one additional fan I had plugged in that was attached to the rig itself was sapping enough extra wattage to, I'm guessing, send proper wattage to the GPU, causing it not to work. I unplugged it, and everything is booting up fine.
  6. Glad you got it sorted PSU was the next port of call ;)

7. Glad you solved it :).
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics