Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Been playing Max Payne 3 and every once in a while the game will crash with the typical "display driver has stopped responding" error and this is what the visuals turn into:

eiqq9y.jpg

Any idea what this is or what's causing it? Is the card on its way out or is this somehow the fault of the game. I've only had the GPU for three months.

Solution
If your GPU is failing, there would likely be other signs as well, excessive heat, or failure in other applications.

If you are only seeing this behavior in one game, it's pretty safe to assume that there is a problem with the game, or drivers, and not a hardware problem.

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Recon-UK: Early issues with the game? How so?

Blade061188: The temperatures are fine. I have a three-fan cooler on the front of the GPU as well as a backplate. At max load - with the fans at 80% - my temperatures are never above 50 degrees. I haven't overclocked it at all. The speeds are stock. I ran Furmark for 22 minutes with no errors and two passes of the Heaven benchmark with no errors either. Played Saints Row: The Third for a bit today without any issues.

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
You're right Recon. I've been mulling that over also, I'm a bit OCD about things like this (electronics failing specifically - probably because high-end parts are pretty costly).

I'm running the latest 301.42 WHQL drivers, Blade. A fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit as well.

I hope this question isn't too vague, but is there a clear difference between rough game code/driver support as opposed to a malfunctioning GPU? Any sort of telltale signs or symptoms to be able to tell one apart from the other?

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
If your GPU is failing, there would likely be other signs as well, excessive heat, or failure in other applications.

If you are only seeing this behavior in one game, it's pretty safe to assume that there is a problem with the game, or drivers, and not a hardware problem.

Solution

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
@matto17secs, I did that as well. I have the retail version of the game and that's why I decided to do a fresh install of my OS. I wanted to make sure that there were no contributing factors, corrupted files, etc...

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
@blade, I've gotten the impression that that's what would be happening. My GPU idles at about 33 and I never run any graphics-heavy games or applications without increasing the fan speed.

When you say symptoms would appear in other applications, are we talking things as simple as web browsing, video viewing, and photo editing or tasks that put more strain on the GPU (like gaming, for example)?

blade061188

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
More specifically gaming. Try a game that has been out for a while, with better driver support.

Or stress testing. You said you've already done some stress testing. If your gpu was bad, it wouldn't survive stress testing like that very well.

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
@recon, you know, I was so surprised that Rockstar was able to deliver such a stellar PC version that I'd almost forgotten about all of the other shoddy ports they'd graced us with. It should come as no surprise to me that - despite how good the game looks and runs - that there are some stability issues to be worked out. It is still Rockstar. Even the console versions have some rough edges. I've never played Bully for that specific reason. I hear that along with GTA IV, Bully is easily their worst PC port.

Corrupted game textures are not generally a malfunctioning GPU symptom. Crashes, weird graphical anomalies, excessive heat, inconsistent clock speeds, underperformance, etc. are GPU symptoms.

Did you check your Nvidia Control Panel Program settings under Max Payne 3? Maybe there's a setting in there related to texture filtering or Ambient Occlusion that could be causing the problem. Be sure to do a Google search for "Max Payne 3 missing textures" and see if others are having the same issue.

By the way, Furmark is useless. It will cause the GPU to throttle down, so there is no way to actually stress test your card with it.

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
@blade, good to know. I re-downloaded Far Cry 2 off of steam a week or so ago and played through it with absolutely no problems either. It's another pretty requirement-heavy game (especially considering it's a sandbox game) that probably would have exhibited some visual issues. Skyrim has run well, L.A. Noire, Saints Row, and the list goes on.

Loyal-T

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Yes you did. Just play through a few chapters over the last hour or so and no crashes. Leads me to suspect that it is indeed some kind of instability issue within the game. Thanks for the assistance guys.