Interesting new "Standard Mode": 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 22, 2005 7:32:36 AM

According to Canon, there will be many preset "modes", including the
"Standard" mode, which
according to Canon, is a mode for "vivid, crisp images, NOT requiring
post-processing."

It would seem that they are giving users the option to take snap-shots that
will produce images that are just as "pre-processed" as might be found in
their point-and-shoot cameras.

While this might seem strange to other who, like me, want full processing
control most of the time, I have to say this is a welcome *option.* There
are times where I am taking inconsequential photos in high numbers, and it
would be great if I didn't have to fiddle just to get that easy, standard
look.

What do others think?

Oh...and don't worry...among the numerous other "modes" is the "Neutral"
mode, which sounds like the standard we are used to in Canon DSLRs (where
post-processing is expected).

Mark
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:39:11 AM

> According to Canon, there will be many preset "modes", including the
> "Standard" mode, which
> according to Canon, is a mode for "vivid, crisp images, NOT requiring
> post-processing."
>
> It would seem that they are giving users the option to take snap-shots
> that will produce images that are just as "pre-processed" as might be
> found in their point-and-shoot cameras.
>
> While this might seem strange to other who, like me, want full processing
> control most of the time, I have to say this is a welcome *option.* There
> are times where I am taking inconsequential photos in high numbers, and it
> would be great if I didn't have to fiddle just to get that easy, standard
> look.
>
> What do others think?
>
> Oh...and don't worry...among the numerous other "modes" is the "Neutral"
> mode, which sounds like the standard we are used to in Canon DSLRs (where
> post-processing is expected).
>
> Mark

And...No more ridiculous "creative modes" uselessly filling up the dial. :)
I've never EVER used one, and am happy to see them go to the klink file.

So... No built-in flash, and no pesky "creative zones..."
Clearly this camera is not aimed at the masses.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:33:20 PM

I was confused in reading the new announcement information...I thought
the point of shooting RAW rather than JPEG was to leave the
postprocessing out of the camera and in the PC software programs, which
might be more effective than in-camera software. So what's with this
Standard Mode...is it only applicable to JPEG files, and if so, what's
the big deal? If Ishoot JPEG for 'in volume' and relegate RAW to the
'critical needs', how different is this than merely bumping up the
settings for saturation, etc. and storing them in a parameter set?
August 22, 2005 4:07:19 PM

wilt wrote:
> I was confused in reading the new announcement information...I thought
> the point of shooting RAW rather than JPEG was to leave the
> postprocessing out of the camera and in the PC software programs, which
> might be more effective than in-camera software. So what's with this
> Standard Mode...is it only applicable to JPEG files, and if so, what's
> the big deal? If Ishoot JPEG for 'in volume' and relegate RAW to the
> 'critical needs', how different is this than merely bumping up the
> settings for saturation, etc. and storing them in a parameter set?

I don't believe it is different. But for those who might want to use
that feature, it's a lot easier than creating a parameter set; for one
it's well "labelled".

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> wilt wrote:
>> I was confused in reading the new announcement information...I thought
>> the point of shooting RAW rather than JPEG was to leave the
>> postprocessing out of the camera and in the PC software programs, which
>> might be more effective than in-camera software. So what's with this
>> Standard Mode...is it only applicable to JPEG files, and if so, what's
>> the big deal? If Ishoot JPEG for 'in volume' and relegate RAW to the
>> 'critical needs', how different is this than merely bumping up the
>> settings for saturation, etc. and storing them in a parameter set?
>>
> I don't believe it is different. But for those who might want to use that
> feature, it's a lot easier than creating a parameter set; for one it's
> well "labelled".

Actually, it is different.
In fact, within each of those additional new "modes", you can further tweak
them just like you can with "parameter sets." This means there are far more
sets at your disposal.

Even when you bump up perameters, it still was/is assumed that
post-processing would follow.
In this case, the assumption is the opposite.
I shoot RAW only for critical stuff, but I think it would be nice to have
NON-critical shooting times times where I can easily dump snapshots onto a
computer needing post-processing.

These are for non-professional venues, where the ultimate in perfection
takes a back seat to convenience and immediacy. As was noted...it's just
there for those times when that is helpful. For the rest of the time, we
are free to post-process to our perfectionist heart's content!
:)

The other related feature I like is the ability to switch between two
entirely different camera set-ups with one button push. This means that if
you have to, for example, alternate quickly between two very different
lighting situations, you can change back and forth between two full camera
setups, without having to go through and make indiviual changes. This could
apply in many venues...like weddings (where people are moving in adn out fo
sun), or sports, where you need to capture both on-field, and off-field
stuff...or where there are multiple lighting situations requiring different
white balance AND ISO settings, etc. etc.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:46:10 PM

>The other related feature I like is the ability to switch between two
>entirely different camera set-ups with one button push. This means that if
>you have to, for example, alternate quickly between two very different
>lighting situations, you can change back and forth between two full camera
>setups, without having to go through and make indiviual changes.

Now THAT would be very useful...quick, one button (Canon, are you
monitoring these threads?)

I also wish that if you set 'M' for the mode, that you could dial in
flash exposure compensation, but you cannot.

>I shoot RAW only for critical stuff, but I think it would be nice to have
>NON-critical shooting times times where I can easily dump snapshots onto a
>computer needing post-processing.

I shoot RAW along with concurrent JPEG small files, so that I have JPEG
images to quickly send to friends in emails but still have the RAW for
decisions about later uses which require the ultimate quality. I don't
mind that I 'only get' about 100 shots per 2MB CF card...another CF
card is still a lot less to carry around than 3 rolls of 36exp!
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:52:09 PM

"wilt" <wiltw@aol.com> wrote in message
> >The other related feature I like is the ability to switch between two
>>entirely different camera set-ups with one button push. This means that
>>if
>>you have to, for example, alternate quickly between two very different
>>lighting situations, you can change back and forth between two full camera
>>setups, without having to go through and make indiviual changes.
>
> Now THAT would be very useful...quick, one button (Canon, are you
> monitoring these threads?)

I'm reporting what they've **already done.**
-Not what I wish they would do...
According to their 5D release, they have included just such a feature.

Here's the text:
" In a handy new feature, current camera settings can be stored and assigned
to the C (camera settings) position on the Mode Dial. This allows
photographers to switch quickly between two completely different camera
set-ups without having to switch bodies - ideal for photographers who need
to rapidly switch their cameras from an indoor to outdoor shooting
condition, for example. Exposure mode, ISO speed, AF mode, drive mode,
Picture Style, white balance and custom functions are all stored in the
custom setting. There are 21 custom functions with 57 user-definable
settings to enable photographers to configure the camera for their preferred
way of working. "

> I also wish that if you set 'M' for the mode, that you could dial in
> flash exposure compensation, but you cannot.

Just do that on your external flash (you know the 5D has no pop-up flash,
right?)

>>I shoot RAW only for critical stuff, but I think it would be nice to have
>>NON-critical shooting times times where I can easily dump snapshots onto a
>>computer needing post-processing.
>
> I shoot RAW along with concurrent JPEG small files, so that I have JPEG
> images to quickly send to friends in emails but still have the RAW for
> decisions about later uses which require the ultimate quality. I don't
> mind that I 'only get' about 100 shots per 2MB CF card...another CF
> card is still a lot less to carry around than 3 rolls of 36exp!

I'll likely do that with this camera, but since my 10D doesn't offer
this...I don't. :)
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:25:46 PM

> > According to Canon, there will be many preset "modes", including the
> > "Standard" mode, which
> > according to Canon, is a mode for "vivid, crisp images, NOT requiring
> > post-processing."
> >
> > It would seem that they are giving users the option to take snap-shots
> > that will produce images that are just as "pre-processed" as might be
> > found in their point-and-shoot cameras.
> >
> > While this might seem strange to other who, like me, want full
processing
> > control most of the time, I have to say this is a welcome *option.*
There
> > are times where I am taking inconsequential photos in high numbers, and
it
> > would be great if I didn't have to fiddle just to get that easy,
standard
> > look.
> >
> > What do others think?
> >
> > Oh...and don't worry...among the numerous other "modes" is the "Neutral"
> > mode, which sounds like the standard we are used to in Canon DSLRs
(where
> > post-processing is expected).
> >
> > Mark
>
> And...No more ridiculous "creative modes" uselessly filling up the dial.
:)
> I've never EVER used one, and am happy to see them go to the klink file.
>
> So... No built-in flash, and no pesky "creative zones..."
> Clearly this camera is not aimed at the masses.

I thought they called the creative modes P,Av,Tv,M?
The pic mode are the ones that are gone - I hope!
-S
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:25:47 PM

"SimonLW" <anon@anon.com> wrote in message

>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> > According to Canon, there will be many preset "modes", including the
>> > "Standard" mode, which
>> > according to Canon, is a mode for "vivid, crisp images, NOT requiring
>> > post-processing."
>> >
>> > It would seem that they are giving users the option to take snap-shots
>> > that will produce images that are just as "pre-processed" as might be
>> > found in their point-and-shoot cameras.
>> >
>> > While this might seem strange to other who, like me, want full
> processing
>> > control most of the time, I have to say this is a welcome *option.*
> There
>> > are times where I am taking inconsequential photos in high numbers, and
> it
>> > would be great if I didn't have to fiddle just to get that easy,
> standard
>> > look.
>> >
>> > What do others think?
>> >
>> > Oh...and don't worry...among the numerous other "modes" is the
>> > "Neutral"
>> > mode, which sounds like the standard we are used to in Canon DSLRs
> (where
>> > post-processing is expected).
>> >
>> > Mark
>>
>> And...No more ridiculous "creative modes" uselessly filling up the dial.
> :)
>> I've never EVER used one, and am happy to see them go to the klink file.
>>
>> So... No built-in flash, and no pesky "creative zones..."
>> Clearly this camera is not aimed at the masses.
>>
> I thought they called the creative modes P,Av,Tv,M?
> The pic mode are the ones that are gone - I hope!
> -S

Oops. Since I never use them, I got the names mixed up.
Yes...the "pic modes" are gone.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:06:08 PM

"Mark?" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> So... No built-in flash, and no pesky "creative zones..."
> Clearly this camera is not aimed at the masses.

At that price, obviously not! ;)

And to quote dpreview.com:

> "The discreet full frame EOS 5D is the camera many photojournalists
> and agencies have been asking us for," said Mogens Jensen, Head of
> Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. "It will be an indispensable piece of
> equipment for a wide range of professionals - from contemporary
> wedding to reportage photographers."

So that's pretty clear - a camera aimed squarely at pros (or very, very,
very serious amateurs!) that's smaller and lighter than a 1D.

pete
--
pete@fenelon.com "Obviously crime pays, or there'd be no crime"-G Gordon Liddy
!