Looking for a referenced 6870

Solution
Personally I don't think it would be a good choice to liquid cool a 6870. The 6870 has such little headroom for over clocking. Water cooling in an attempt to overclock is going to yield minimal results for the amount of money you will spend.

If you had a Fermi Chip it would make more sense has it has a lot of headroom for overclocking.

If you are going to stick with a 6870 it would be better to go with a non-reference design such as the XFX Double D cooler or the ASUS Direct CU cooler.

Why is it that you are looking for a refrence 6870? It is no faster than any other 6870, and it was only the early 6950's like mine that could be unlocked to the 6970.

A reference 6870 will have an "AMD" insignia on the PCB near the gold connectors, like this one:

amd_radeon_hd6870_01.jpg

krix876

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Hey, Thanks for that.
Thing is I'm looking liquid cool it or use an aftermarket cooler, I keep reading that is hard and not wise to mod a non-ref card because te PCB is different.
So I want to know if either of these cards are moder friendly before i buy it.

Personally I don't think it would be a good choice to liquid cool a 6870. The 6870 has such little headroom for over clocking. Water cooling in an attempt to overclock is going to yield minimal results for the amount of money you will spend.

If you had a Fermi Chip it would make more sense has it has a lot of headroom for overclocking.

If you are going to stick with a 6870 it would be better to go with a non-reference design such as the XFX Double D cooler or the ASUS Direct CU cooler.

Solution

krix876

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thanks i'll keep that in mind.
So The GTX 560 is the better over clocker than the 6870

Only if you buy "full water blocks", the ones that fit the shape of your PCB and cool your GPU AND the VRM and other components, would the PCB shape and holes matter.

if you already have such a waterblock, go with rwayne's recommendation. if you don't and you're buying new, I would suggest you buy a GPU only waterblock. they look a little like the CPU water blocks. you can then buy little heat spreaders for your VRM. the reason being if you buy the full block for the 6870, it's useless when you need to upgrade, and that extra money is much better spent on a better video card instead. if you buy the GPU only waterblock, you can always re-use it in the future.

krix876

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Cool :bounce:
Thanks, I'll go with the 560 then, bcuz i need a monitor too, so keeping a tight budget.
And I see you also have a 6870 so your speaking form experience with it.

krix876

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thank you, i'll also keep that in mind, this would be my 1st water cooling experience, so looking to spend not too much just yet.

That's right. Go ahead and pick me as the best answer :D and that should close it in a matter of days.