New AMD Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberinge

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hi I was using and AMD FX 8120 BE processor but I didn't get the performance I was expecting. The system "freezes" or halts for some moments then it continues; converting video from one format to another is fast enough but the temperature rises "fast" and the software bundled with my motherboard keeps me warning about 65º C. I do HD video editing, some 3d rendering and graphic design. What other processor would you recommend? My system: Processor: AMD FX 8120, MoBo: ASUS M5A97, Ram: 8 Gb Corsair VENGEANGE 1600 (4Gbx2), Graphics: Ati HD Sapphire Vapor-X 6770 and plenty of storage. Thanx.

Solution
Hi

You have a great CPU for what you are doing, it sounds like you are having a cooling issue, are you using the cooler that came with the CPU (its a piece of garbage you can get much better results with a $30 Hyper 212 EVO)? The new 8350 is only a 10-15% improvement so I think you should check your windows system error messages and see what exactly is failing and when. Aida64 allows you to access error messages simply enough. Anyway you have a hunt ahead of you, good luck

Fungi
id say your problem is most likely not enough airflow in your case, or too high ambient temp, or poor heatsink installation. get some case fans to suck the hot air out and replace the cpu heatsink and thermal paste with something better. Hard drive speed would be a more likely cause of freezes and halts, along with a faulty component possibly.

funguseater

Distinguished
Hi

You have a great CPU for what you are doing, it sounds like you are having a cooling issue, are you using the cooler that came with the CPU (its a piece of garbage you can get much better results with a $30 Hyper 212 EVO)? The new 8350 is only a 10-15% improvement so I think you should check your windows system error messages and see what exactly is failing and when. Aida64 allows you to access error messages simply enough. Anyway you have a hunt ahead of you, good luck

Fungi

Solution

bretmh

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Would have to be a airflow / bad mount placement of your cooler. I would double check this.

sig.jpg

cyberinge

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

I think is the cooler like funguseater said, because all the disk are Sata II 7200 rpm and had been using them on other config without a problem. So, waiting for the new FX-8350 is not worth and better change the cooler (cheaper!). Thanx to everyone answering, sometimes you miss the essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.