Sign in with
Your question

Graphic card for Risen 2 on cheap PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2012 9:09:41 PM

Hi guys

I need your help. My new motherboard is Asus F1A55MLX, CPU is AMD APU X2 3300, and 4 GB Geil 1333 DDR3 RAM. I also have old HDD and old 400W standard PSU.

I would like to buy a graphic card to play Risen 2 on max details if possible (also for Max Payne 3 in the future, obviously not on max details though). What GPU would be the best choice considering my CPU and PSU?

I was thinking about Radeon HD 6850 but it is a bit too pricey and I'm not sure if it's not too strong? Will the weak CPU kill some of its power?

What would you guys recommend?

Here are the requirements for the game:

Recommended:

Operating system: Windows XP (with Servicepack 2), Vista (with Servicepack 1) or Windows 7
CPU: dual core with 3 GHz
Memory: 4 GB system RAM
Disk space: 5.5 GB
Graphics adapter: AMD Radeon 4890 or NVidia GeForce GTX260 (1 GB VRAM)
DirectX: version 9.1c
Sound: DirectX compatible sound chip
Input: keyboard/mouse or gamepad required
Internet: connection for online activation required

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 9:21:04 PM

take a look of hd 6770.
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 9:22:51 PM

What is your pricerange?

And I'd have to agree with xtreme5, as with that CPU the 6770 should be great, and is also pretty cheap.
Related resources
June 5, 2012 9:30:23 PM

My max budget is Radeon HD 6850 price. I just dont know if it's worth it considering my rig. Maybe something cheaper will actually be better/more optimal?
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 5, 2012 10:45:18 PM

What is the model of your power supply?
June 6, 2012 9:42:45 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't like to exchange PSU in addition to buying a new card as this would increase the cost significantly. But as the PSU is 5 years old maybe I will have to do it anyway. I don't know really, it works ok so far.

I've 'discovered' Radeon 7750/7770 line which consumes very little power compared to other cards. Is it a good choice for playing Risen 2 on max details on my current PSU?
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 6:14:10 PM

Probably not the 7770. With the 7750 it may work fine but you're taking your chances in my opinion.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 6:19:20 PM

I'd like to give you a little bit of info that might help you upgrade for the game.

When I first started playing Risen 2, I found my FPS kept hitting in the high 20's and low 30's with mostly maxed settings. It would also go way up occasionally as well. It turned out my CPU had reverted to default clocks. After re-enabling my OC, my lows jumped into the high 40's.

The point being, this game is heavily CPU bottlenecked with a low CPU speed. (my clocks went from 2.67ghz to 3.8ghz and improved performance by over 50%.)
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 6:52:11 PM

Haven't played Risen 2 yet so I don't know how CPU limited it is. I'll probably get it soon though. Anyway, if what bystander says is true then your CPU is probably going to keep you from going much above medium. Your CPU isn't exactly a speed demon after all -_-
June 6, 2012 7:17:28 PM

Thank you for all the information gentlemen. Bystander- did you play the game on the pc that is in your sig or some weaker one?

It seems that the best option for me would be to get the game first and then go to a shop and ask if I could test both of the cards, 6850(plus optional PSU) and 7750 and see how the game works :pt1cable: 

Hopefully I'll find the shop that will let me do it.
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
June 6, 2012 7:23:37 PM

I haven't played far into it. I got into playing Diablo 3, but yes, it was the one in the sig, only my CPU defaulted back to 2.67Ghz when the FPS was really low.
!