Uninstalling graphics card and installing new

redexx10

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hi there, Currently I have a Nvidia GTS 250 and I'm looking to upgrade to a Radeon HD 6870 1GB. I'm not quite sure how to transition from Nvidia to Radeon and how to correctly remove all nvidia drivers. If you would be so kind to show me the proper steps to uninstalling my nvidia card completely (drivers, etc) and installing my Radeon properly.

P.s: my motherboard has a onboard graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4200, idk if that would help or anything but yea. Please please please help me!

fantastik250

Distinguished
+1 Chainzsaw

Download driver sweeper. Install the program. Boot into safe mode. Uninstall Nvidia drivers, use driver sweeper. Shut off computer, unplug computer from wall. Install graphics card. Then install latest drivers for your graphics card. Also I'd suggest a 6870 2GB version. Helps you with graphic intensive games and higher resolution.

I disagree with the drive sweeper uninstall. that would only be needed in times of trouble. the add/remove is the best for the average user. straight forward and to the point. shut down remove old and install new. boot up and let windows find the new hardware. then go to the card manufacturers site if you haven't already and get the newest driver............ or go to windows update..... manufacturer is better if you want the ATI CCC.