hammerhead2008

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I'm in two minds about these cards:

ATI HD 7950 (any brand)
EVGA GTX570 Classified

I know both of these cards perform well, and I don't really care about efficiency really. Obviously if I can save a little bit of money that's always a great bonus.

Anyone give me some advice on which card to go for? I did consider saving some more money for a GTX670 but I don't think my budget really allows for that.

I'm looking to spend around the £200 mark, extending to £250 so that budget region.

If anyone has any decent alternatives then I'm happy to do my research on it as I'm always open about new options.

hammerhead2008

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Hey guys and girls :)

Just bunged this on from the sticky for the sake of it

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Couple of weeks BUDGET RANGE: £200-£250 inc VAT

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming - Crysis2, DIRT3 (and showdown), BF3 plus watching films, but any card seems to do that these days.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: XFX HD 4890 and Corsair 650TX 650W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:

Case - Fractal Design XL
Motherboard - Asus P5Q PRO TURBO
CPU - Q6700 @ 2.9
Cooler - Zalman CNPS 9700
Memory - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 Kingston HyperX
Hard Drive 1 - 500GB Seagate
Hard Drive 2 - 250GB WD Black Edition
Hard Drive 3 - 160GB Seagate
Hard Drive 4 - 80GB Maxtor
GPU - XFX HD4890
PSU - Corsair 650W
DVD Drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: amazon.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk, scan.co.uk, ebuyer.co.uk, aria.co.uk COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United Kingdom

PARTS PREFERENCES: Anything really

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Well I was going to crossfire my HD4890 but that never happened so I don't think so now.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: -

I'm in two minds about these cards:

ATI HD 7950 (any brand)
EVGA GTX570 Classified

I know both of these cards perform well, and I don't really care about efficiency really. Obviously if I can save a little bit of money that's always a great bonus.

Anyone give me some advice on which card to go for? I did consider saving some more money for a GTX670 but I don't think my budget really allows for that.

I'm looking to spend around the £200 mark, extending to £250 so that budget region.

If anyone has any decent alternatives then I'm happy to do my research on it as I'm always open about new options.

hammerhead2008

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

I guess I'm getting what I pay for a little extra money, for a bit extra performance.

Do you think it's worth trying to save money to get a GTX670?

Plus, how easy is both cards to overclocked. Not really known how to overclock a video card

AnToN_CheZ

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2011
I have a Sapphire 7950 OC dual fan and I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Now, you can get the 950Mhz version (mine is 900) and it comes on a nicer PCB (black instead of blue) which is actually used on their flagship card, the 7970.

In terms of overclocking, it also has massive potential. You should be able to hit 1100Mhz no sweat with the 7950 as long as you have the appropriate air flow. The 670, in my opinion, seems a little more tricky to OC due to the boost clock. So if you have never overclocked before but would like to start, the 7950 may be the best all round card for you. I have mine running faster than a stock GTX 680 here.

If you are impartial to brand, the 7950 is an excellent choice. If your heart is set on Nvidia, I would save a little extra for the 670. So many great benefits over the 570 for a little extra cash, you will thank yourself later when Crysis 3 and the new Frostbite 2 engine games drop.