Can I connect multiple external storage devices to router?

athorod

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Hi!

I am about to purchace a new wireless router and I am considering one with a USB-port so I can connect an external hard drive as well. But I am wondering if it is possible to connect a USB-hub to the router and thus connect more than one external hard drive to the network?

I guess I'm asking both:
a) if its possible to access an external hard drive that way
b) if I can access several external hard drives if using a USB-hub

Is b)'s possible, and would I need a specific router or usb-hub to be able to do so, or should most do the trick?

I am considering something like the Netgear WNR3500L router.

athorod

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Actually, it seems to be working (I'm too impatient, so I just had to try without knowing if it would work). I have only just barely tried though. But I have set up the router mentioned above, and connected a http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=377068 (at least it looks like that one) along with a couple of USB external hard drives.

After some messing around (or maybe some time passed, making the computer aware of the readyshare-stuff, I really can't say I did much) I manged to find both hard drives both on my computer, I also found both drives when I connected the router to my Blu-Ray player, which is able to play most media files, so that's quick and easy access to the storage devices.

Quite possibly NAS or the like would be quicker transfer from computer to hard drives (USB 2.0 is slow), but at the moment I had to go for the cheaper version and I am delighted that it seemed to work. I didn't even have to install DD-WRT.

MrJackStorm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Fantastic news Athorod and thanks for sharing!
I've been contemplating on the same thing. I've got a Netgear WNDR4300 dual band router with a USB port, and wanted to connect either a USB2.0 or USB3.0 hub to it for 3 external hard-drives. On the basis of your success, i'll def give it a shot later today.

anantharam3

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Hi Athorod, can you help me with more details on how you did that. Are those external hard disks externally powered?

Ashutosh1985

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Dear Friend,

Sure, it can be done. I am using TP-Link W8968 with single usb hub. I have attached a Segate 1TB ultrathin Harddrive with USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 of mu router. After attachment and going through setting in router ( via login page) you can read, write and sync content to attached storage through mobile and laptop. U can watch movies over network with streaming i real time. :bounce:

There are various interesting app that make mobile-harddisk link more interesting like Quickpic , Syncme, ES Explorer ,Dice Player etc.

Refer Youtube tutorial for each content.
I am not responsible for any problem caused.

You can use any USB hub , with power adopter, to attach various gadget at a time, My router supports 6 gadgets at a time. I am using datacard , harddisk , pendrive & mobile charging cable right now at this hub. some time i use led lamp
Caution : USB with power adopter is essential as it will prevent any power load on router , which may go through breakdown due to heat,