Sample Images: 5D

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 22, 2005 7:41:42 AM

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html

Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D

Mark

More about : sample images

August 22, 2005 11:34:21 PM

They look pretty good, except that the landscape images has some kind
of anomoly
in it. For one thing, the edge definition is pretty bad, notice the
distortion of the dandelions
and the two dark "tracks" that seem to extend vertically upward in the
grassy area on the left edge.
I figure this is due to the wide angle lens used.
-Rich
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:52:43 PM

"Rich" <michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> They look pretty good, except that the landscape images has some kind
> of anomoly
> in it. For one thing, the edge definition is pretty bad, notice the
> distortion of the dandelions
> and the two dark "tracks" that seem to extend vertically upward in the
> grassy area on the left edge.
> I figure this is due to the wide angle lens used.
> -Rich

Part of the problem is that most digital users have forgotten what *true*
wide angle shots look like anymore...save for those few who shoot with a
1Ds/1DsMII...

I also noticed that they shot that landscape using the "landscape mode,"
which deepens greens/blues as some films tend to do.

Distortion is normal in a REAL 17mm at teh corners...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:13 AM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message news:4309ae9d$0$50117$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> Mark² wrote:
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>
> Have you noticed how slow that site is?

Yes. They are clearly being slammed with world-wide hits.
Teh site was noted on Dpreview only moments befoe I posted, and i'm sure
this brought on a world-wide slew of hits.

When I first began downloading an image, it quickly loaded about 1/10th of
the way down, and then stopped. I've not been able to load any other
samples since, though the other pages load.
This quick-beginning indecates that they were hit with clicks as we speak.

News that is new and in great demand is like this...
Might have to come back later--perhaps MUCH later...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:13 AM

Mike Warren wrote:
> Mark² wrote:
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>
> Have you noticed how slow that site is?
>
> -Mike

Slow? Times out on me every time.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:13 AM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message news:4309ae9d$0$50117$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> Mark² wrote:
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>
> Have you noticed how slow that site is?

Must be faster now because a 12MB file only took 20 seconds.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:14 AM

In article <2VlOe.11053$cO6.2893@fe04.lga>, rphunter@charter.net says...
> Mike Warren wrote:
> > Mark² wrote:
> >> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
> >>
> >> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
> >
> > Have you noticed how slow that site is?
> >
> > -Mike
> >

> Slow? Times out on me every time.

Someone on the dpreview forums rehosted them:

Family:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/fa...

Landscape:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/la...

Macro:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/ma...

Portrait:
http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/po...

The landscape photo is seriously ugly - I don't think I would have put
that one up on display.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Dave R knows who" <kilbyfan@spamnotAOL.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
> message news:4309ae9d$0$50117$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
>> Mark² wrote:
>>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>>
>>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>>
>> Have you noticed how slow that site is?
>>

> Must be faster now because a 12MB file only took 20 seconds.

Ha! Spoke too soon, some are timing-out.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:15 AM

Brian Baird wrote:

> Someone on the dpreview forums rehosted them:
>
> Family:
> http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/fa...
>
> Landscape:
> http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/la...
>
> Macro:
> http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/ma...
>
> Portrait:
> http://photos.imageevent.com/sipphoto/samplepictures/po...
>
> The landscape photo is seriously ugly - I don't think I would have put
> that one up on display.

Are these straight from the camera or were they doctored or processed
afterwards? If they're straight from the camera untouched then I say this
camera is going to be a winner! I'm strictly Nikon, but that isn't set in
stone. I particularly like the macro shot.

Rita
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:16 AM

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
[]
> Are these straight from the camera or were they doctored or processed
> afterwards? If they're straight from the camera untouched then I say
> this camera is going to be a winner! I'm strictly Nikon, but that
> isn't set in stone. I particularly like the macro shot.

They are processed. At least as much as they have been through a RAW to
JPEG conversion, with all the processing that can be done at that stage.

David
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:53:16 AM

In article <11gk7rt8r37ju8e@news.supernews.com>, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?
Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?= <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> says...
> > The landscape photo is seriously ugly - I don't think I would have put
> > that one up on display.
>
> Are these straight from the camera or were they doctored or processed
> afterwards? If they're straight from the camera untouched then I say this
> camera is going to be a winner! I'm strictly Nikon, but that isn't set in
> stone. I particularly like the macro shot.

They were processed using the Canon RAW software, if I remember
correctly.

Three of the shots are fantastic, as you would expect. That landscape
shot makes me want to lose my lunch - I've seen better out of the 17-40,
even on full frame.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Mark² wrote:
>>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>>
>> Have you noticed how slow that site is?
>
> Yes. They are clearly being slammed with world-wide hits.
> Teh site was noted on Dpreview only moments befoe I posted, and i'm
> sure this brought on a world-wide slew of hits.

> News that is new and in great demand is like this...
> Might have to come back later--perhaps MUCH later...

I'm using a download manager to get the first picture and
it keeps having to reconnect. 52% so far.

-Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:05:18 AM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message news:4309b172$0$83956$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...

>>> Have you noticed how slow that site is?
>>
>> Yes. They are clearly being slammed with world-wide hits.
>> Teh site was noted on Dpreview only moments befoe I posted, and i'm
>> sure this brought on a world-wide slew of hits.
>
>> News that is new and in great demand is like this...
>> Might have to come back later--perhaps MUCH later...
>
> I'm using a download manager to get the first picture and
> it keeps having to reconnect. 52% so far.
>
> -Mike

What download manager are you using?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:05:19 AM

> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
> message news:4309b172$0$83956$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...

>>> Yes. They are clearly being slammed with world-wide hits.
>>> Teh site was noted on Dpreview only moments befoe I posted, and i'm
>>> sure this brought on a world-wide slew of hits.
>>
>>> News that is new and in great demand is like this...
>>> Might have to come back later--perhaps MUCH later...
>>
>> I'm using a download manager to get the first picture and
>> it keeps having to reconnect. 52% so far.
>>
>> -Mike
>
> What download manager are you using?

Ah... Receiving now...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:11:40 AM

Mark² wrote:
> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote
> in message

>>> Yes. They are clearly being slammed with world-wide hits.
>>> Teh site was noted on Dpreview only moments befoe I posted, and i'm
>>> sure this brought on a world-wide slew of hits.
>>
>>> News that is new and in great demand is like this...
>>> Might have to come back later--perhaps MUCH later...
>>
>> I'm using a download manager to get the first picture and
>> it keeps having to reconnect. 52% so far.
>>
>> -Mike
>
> What download manager are you using?

http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id...

-Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:11:41 AM

"Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote in
message news:4309b2f0$0$44298$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
> Mark² wrote:
>> "Mike Warren" <miwa-not-this-bit@or-this-cairnscarsound.com.au> wrote
>> in message

>>> I'm using a download manager to get the first picture and
>>> it keeps having to reconnect. 52% so far.
>>>
>>> -Mike
>>
>> What download manager are you using?
>
> http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProducts_Detail.asp?id...
>
> -Mike

Thanks. Mine pooped out again.
I'll try that...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:13:03 AM

Mark² wrote:
>> What download manager are you using?
>
> Ah... Receiving now...

Maybe mine was taking all the bandwidth <eg>

-Mike
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:43:20 AM

Mark² wrote:

> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>
> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D

The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:43:21 AM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> Mark² wrote:
>
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>
> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.

Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed, but the macro has amazingly
fine detail.

Start saving yer pennies... :(
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:43:22 AM

> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>> Mark² wrote:
>>
>>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>>
>>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>>
>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>
> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed, but the macro has
> amazingly fine detail.
>
> Start saving yer pennies... :(

....That advice from a guy who just paid $400 for two Eagles
tickets...SHEESH! :(
Guess I'll have to save a bit longer than you. :)
August 23, 2005 4:01:51 AM

Geometric distortion is normal in some wide angles, but spherical
aberration, astigmatism, coma and CA are hallmarks of a flawed lens.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:36:39 AM

> Geometric distortion is normal in some wide angles, but spherical
> aberration, astigmatism, coma and CA are hallmarks of a flawed lens.

And...what's your verdict here?

I noticed a bit a fringing at the top of the hill in one spot, too.
August 23, 2005 4:59:26 AM

Mark² wrote:

> Part of the problem is that most digital users have forgotten what *true*
> wide angle shots look like anymore...

I haven't.

> Distortion is normal in a REAL 17mm at teh corners...

But mush isn't. Look at the grass in the lower left hand corner vs the
center of the frame. Or ignore it if you wish... I'm sure this can be
explained away by someone who is SOLD on canon lenses and full frame
sensors. :-)

I'm sure this camera will rock with tele lenses. I'm just not sold on
canon's wide angle zooms on a full frame body.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

> Mark² wrote:
>>
>> Part of the problem is that most digital users have forgotten what *true*
>> wide angle shots look like anymore...
>
> I haven't.
>

>> Distortion is normal in a REAL 17mm at teh corners...
>

> But mush isn't. Look at the grass in the lower left hand corner vs the
> center of the frame. Or ignore it if you wish... I'm sure this can be
> explained away by someone who is SOLD on canon lenses and full frame
> sensors. :-)

I agree that it's a poor corner rendition.

See my other post about this....posted after having a closer look...

> I'm sure this camera will rock with tele lenses. I'm just not sold on
> canon's wide angle zooms on a full frame body.

Ya...we'll soon find out when it gets a full review from various sources.
I'd like to see that same shot at f11 or so, on a fixed lens, and then on
the 16-35. That one was shot at f8. I wonder what it would look like at
f11. The woodpile at the lower right makes it look like it's NOT a DOF
issue... I don't think they were wise to select that picture, but maybe it
was the best they had(!). I wonder what the focus was centered on (how far
up/out the hill it was) because it frankly doesn't appear to be all too well
focussed in general. I just looked at it in photoshop, and if they applied
any sharpening at all, it was minimal. Even with sharping, though, the
corners are obviously "mushy" as you say.

Mark
August 23, 2005 5:08:23 AM

Mark² wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>> Mark² wrote:
>>
>>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>>
>>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>>
>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>
> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed,

Do you really think it was in "execution" or is just showing the limits of
their -legacy- wide zooms used on a digital sensor at wide angle settings?
They shot it at F8, developed it from a RAW file, shot at ISO 100 and at
1/500 second. I bet they also used a tripod for this shot. The focus point
looks correct so I can't blame it on that. Given the center part of the
image is sharp, (even the lower center at the same plane is very sharp) how
do you explain the mushy corners and soft edges to "execution"? What could
they have done to improve it? This is the same sort of output I've seen
from their wide zooms on the 1DsMkII as well, I didn't expect this one to
be any better.

I'm sure with normal to long tele's (and maybe the best prime wide lenses?)
this will be an amazing camera for the money. I'm just not sold on canon's
wide zoom options on the full frame cameras and wouldn't be shocked to see
that a 20D with the "digital" EF-S wide zoom is sharper corner to corner
than the 5D is.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

> Mark² wrote:
>

>> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message

>>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>>
>> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed,
>

> Do you really think it was in "execution" or is just showing the limits of
> their -legacy- wide zooms used on a digital sensor at wide angle settings?
> They shot it at F8, developed it from a RAW file, shot at ISO 100 and at
> 1/500 second. I bet they also used a tripod for this shot. The focus point
> looks correct so I can't blame it on that. Given the center part of the
> image is sharp, (even the lower center at the same plane is very sharp)
> how
> do you explain the mushy corners and soft edges to "execution"? What could
> they have done to improve it? This is the same sort of output I've seen
> from their wide zooms on the 1DsMkII as well, I didn't expect this one to
> be any better.
>
> I'm sure with normal to long tele's (and maybe the best prime wide
> lenses?)
> this will be an amazing camera for the money. I'm just not sold on canon's
> wide zoom options on the full frame cameras and wouldn't be shocked to see
> that a 20D with the "digital" EF-S wide zoom is sharper corner to corner
> than the 5D is.
> --
>
> Stacey

Frankly, neither would I. The one disappointment that I've had in Canon has
been the performance of their wide angles. It's just that the aftermarket
guys haven't even done as well. My 16-35 f2.8L shows some softness on the
edges, even on my 20D, but it is yards better than my Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:08:24 AM

> Mark² wrote:
>

>> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message

>>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>>
>> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed,
>

> Do you really think it was in "execution" or is just showing the limits of
> their -legacy- wide zooms used on a digital sensor at wide angle settings?
> They shot it at F8, developed it from a RAW file, shot at ISO 100 and at
> 1/500 second. I bet they also used a tripod for this shot. The focus point
> looks correct so I can't blame it on that. Given the center part of the
> image is sharp, (even the lower center at the same plane is very sharp)
> how
> do you explain the mushy corners and soft edges to "execution"? What could
> they have done to improve it? This is the same sort of output I've seen
> from their wide zooms on the 1DsMkII as well, I didn't expect this one to
> be any better.
>
> I'm sure with normal to long tele's (and maybe the best prime wide
> lenses?)
> this will be an amazing camera for the money. I'm just not sold on canon's
> wide zoom options on the full frame cameras and wouldn't be shocked to see
> that a 20D with the "digital" EF-S wide zoom is sharper corner to corner
> than the 5D is.

Ya, as I've now noted in other posts (after another look at the pics), I
agree with you. It's a poor corner rendition, and clearly a lens issue.
Trouble is, I don't know of any other wides that even do as well as this.
:(  I'd like to see how my 16-35 2.8 L fares at the corners.
August 23, 2005 6:02:10 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:41:42 -0700
In message <GZhOe.8092$Us5.3250@fed1read02>
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>
> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D

<big grin>

Uh, Mark?

I think anyone reading here who is interested might
have read the preview...the first one you posted...eh?

I demand feature a delta document with 3 columns:

20D 5D 1DsM2

Just so we can see how many 1D functions Canon still
left out of the latest down-graded camera from the
Mark2 <cough,cough> series. ;-()

(At this rate we'll be at a $999 24MP price point in 3 years.)

Jeff
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:02:11 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:D i0lg11e82d2k3sdm008439qjo7i95hehf@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 03:41:42 -0700
> In message <GZhOe.8092$Us5.3250@fed1read02>
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> Japanese web-site with sample images from 5D
>
> <big grin>
>
> Uh, Mark?
>
> I think anyone reading here who is interested might
> have read the preview...the first one you posted...eh?

Ya, but this provided space for comments on several aspects...an occurance
sure to take place anyhow. Also... People tend to like having things
handed to them on silver platters 'round here...
:)
August 23, 2005 7:02:38 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:50:06 -0700
In message <w9wOe.8349$Us5.1766@fed1read02>
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> Also... People tend to like having things
> handed to them on silver platters 'round here...
> :)

Oh, yeah, I forgot... 9 out of 10 readers have
Attention Deficate Disorder, hence the need for
all these auto-mated camera functions... :-)

Jeff
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:02:39 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:p 94lg19rkbae8hnu17ndo9edroa4g4dal9@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:50:06 -0700
> In message <w9wOe.8349$Us5.1766@fed1read02>
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>> Also... People tend to like having things
>> handed to them on silver platters 'round here...
>> :)
>
> Oh, yeah, I forgot... 9 out of 10 readers have
> Attention Deficate Disorder,

I love it. Attention Defecate Disorder.

Can't read (or understand) for S**t.
August 23, 2005 8:30:59 AM

"Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote:

> >> Also... People tend to like having things
> >> handed to them on silver platters 'round here...
> >> :)
> >
> > Oh, yeah, I forgot... 9 out of 10 readers have
> > Attention Deficate Disorder,
>
> I love it. Attention Defecate Disorder.
>
> Can't read (or understand) for S**t.

Hey. HEY! I resemble that remark...

Jeff (no, really... I have good days once in a while...;^)
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:31:00 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:D h9lg11peicld7nb10ubgo6tcgf8gh0306@4ax.com...

>> > Oh, yeah, I forgot... 9 out of 10 readers have
>> > Attention Deficate Disorder,
>>
>> I love it. Attention Defecate Disorder.
>>
>> Can't read (or understand) for S**t.
>
> Hey. HEY! I resemble that remark...
>
> Jeff (no, really... I have good days once in a while...;^)

We shall have no defacating on this...plop...forum...
August 23, 2005 9:03:12 AM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > Start saving yer pennies... :(
>
> ...That advice from a guy who just paid $400 for two Eagles
> tickets...SHEESH! :(
> Guess I'll have to save a bit longer than you. :)

It's not very often one sees a personality split in real time on
usenet. Good luck Mark. (And you too, Mark.) LOL

Jeff
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 9:03:13 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:p dblg1p72d9tlj124r0tj3tr4bjj8mop2o@4ax.com...
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>> > Start saving yer pennies... :(
>>
>> ...That advice from a guy who just paid $400 for two Eagles
>> tickets...SHEESH! :(
>> Guess I'll have to save a bit longer than you. :)
>
> It's not very often one sees a personality split in real time on
> usenet. Good luck Mark. (And you too, Mark.) LOL

Who are you talking to...me? -Or me?
:)
August 23, 2005 11:42:33 AM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> > It's not very often one sees a personality split in real time on
> > usenet. Good luck Mark. (And you too, Mark.) LOL
>
> Who are you talking to...me? -Or me?
> :)

You.

Jeff (that should keep them debating for a while;-()
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:42:34 AM

"Confused" <somebody@someplace.somenet> wrote in message
news:p mklg1lfh3o89762cjvh1g47ti6tlhlh4f@4ax.com...
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> > It's not very often one sees a personality split in real time on
>> > usenet. Good luck Mark. (And you too, Mark.) LOL
>>
>> Who are you talking to...me? -Or me?
>> :)
>
> You.

Mark's not here at the moment, but I am.
August 23, 2005 11:52:25 AM

> >> Who are you talking to...me? -Or me?
> >> :)
> >
> > You.
>
> Mark's not here at the moment, but I am.

Have you noticed that one of you has more issues with
the 5D+Lens than the other? This is beginning to
cause more than a little bit of confusion...

Jeff
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 11:52:26 AM

>> > You.
>>
>> Mark's not here at the moment, but I am.
>
> Have you noticed that one of you has more issues with
> the 5D+Lens than the other? This is beginning to
> cause more than a little bit of confusion...
>
> Jeff

There's a reason for that.
Earlier today, I took a rather quick look at that image, and got an early
impression tat was better than it deserved.

Later today I had another chance to look more carefully, and now see that
there are real problems in the wide corners. I'm not usually home as much
as I am, or have as much time to waste here as in recent weeks, so you're
hearing posts that don't agree with each other.
:)
Right Mark?

Right!

What?
Ya.
:)
August 23, 2005 11:55:46 AM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> Ya, as I've now noted in other posts (after another look at the pics), I
> agree with you. It's a poor corner rendition, and clearly a lens issue.
> Trouble is, I don't know of any other wides that even do as well as this.
> :(  I'd like to see how my 16-35 2.8 L fares at the corners.

I see a 14mm $1800 rectilinear in your future. ;)

Jeff
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:26:23 PM

Mark² wrote:

>>"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message

>>Start saving yer pennies... :(
>

> ...That advice from a guy who just paid $400 for two Eagles
> tickets...SHEESH! :(

And it's still pre-season! You can get 49ers and Raiders tickets here
for face value.

o, wait, *those* Eagles......

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Mark² wrote:
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>

>>>Start saving yer pennies... :(
>>

>> ...That advice from a guy who just paid $400 for two Eagles
>> tickets...SHEESH! :(
>
> And it's still pre-season! You can get 49ers and Raiders tickets here for
> face value.
>
> o, wait, *those* Eagles......

Ya, and what's worse, their computer screwd up, and bumped me from floor
middle front to row 18 side. Wrong tickets sent via pdf in e-mail...
:(  Same sticker-shock price, too. :(
Now that they're willing to attempt to fix it, other seats are gone.
Oh well...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:56:41 PM

"Rich" <michaelanderson4@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> They look pretty good, except that the landscape images has some kind
> of anomoly
> in it. For one thing, the edge definition is pretty bad, notice the
> distortion of the dandelions
> and the two dark "tracks" that seem to extend vertically upward in the
> grassy area on the left edge.
> I figure this is due to the wide angle lens used.

Yep. My theory is that it's a DOF problem. My 35/3.5 for my 645 camera can
look ugly like that at the edges if I'm not careful. While your DOF charts
will tell you it's not a problem, we're looking at the image at 100% on the
screen, which is a much higher magnification than DOF charts are designed
for*. With some wide angles, you can clean up the corners in shots like that
by stopping down to at least f/11** and setting the focus a tad closer than
infinity. But 17mm is pretty wide. The 17-40/4.0 is reported to be sharp and
distortion free in the 20 to 24mm range, and that's seriously wide angle by
any reasonable standards.

Canon does have a tendency to put up really bad sample shots some times.
Sigh.

*: With my MF cameras, I have to use the markings two stops down (e.g. the
f/11 markings with the camera set at f/22) to get acceptably sharp images;
DOF tables lie.

**: My calculation has it that the 5D will allow us to use f/16 without
noticeable sharpness degradation. The 50% MTF point for f/16 is roughly 50
lp/mm, and DSLR res charts usually peter out at about 3 pixels per line
pair, which is a mere 40 lp/mm for the 5D. At 20MP, we may find f/16 a
problem.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:27:13 PM

Confused wrote:

> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
> > Ya, as I've now noted in other posts (after another look at the pics), I
> > agree with you. It's a poor corner rendition, and clearly a lens issue.
> > Trouble is, I don't know of any other wides that even do as well as this.
> > :(  I'd like to see how my 16-35 2.8 L fares at the corners.
>
> I see a 14mm $1800 rectilinear in your future. ;)
>
> Jeff

Another idea would be to spring for a manual focus superwide Zeiss lens
in their Contax mount, and use the Contax CY to Canon adapter.
From what I've read, these lenses are just amazing.
Of course, you'll have to use stop-down metering and focus manually...

(I suspect these Zeiss lenses will fetch ridiculous prices on Ebay...)

N.F.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:52:16 PM

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote:
>> Mark² wrote:
>>> http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos5d/eos5d_sample-e.html
>>
>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>
> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed, but the macro has
> amazingly fine detail.
>
> Start saving yer pennies... :(

And start buying peanut butter futures; there's gonna be a lot of folks who
can't afford much else.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:52:17 PM

"David J. Littleboy" <davidjl@gol.com> wrote in message
news:D eecjn$bvl$1@nnrp.gol.com...

> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>>
>>> The detail in that macro shot using the 100mm f/2.8 is just
>>> breathtaking.. That one impressed me the most.
>>
>> Ya, the landscape wasn't near as well executed, but the macro has
>> amazingly fine detail.
>>
>> Start saving yer pennies... :(
>
> And start buying peanut butter futures; there's gonna be a lot of folks
> who can't afford much else.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

The mice are eating mine... Just trapped 4 mice today with peanut butter on
a trap.
:(
I'm in a nice house...but even decent houses get meeces from time to time.

Maybe I should start feeding them instead of trapping them (though I think I
got them all) so that when I'm REALLY poor...and run out of peanut
butter...I can have myself a
nice hot plate of mouse-ka-bobs...
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:41:15 AM

In article <3mvopeF18flo0U5@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...

> > Distortion is normal in a REAL 17mm at teh corners...

> But mush isn't. Look at the grass in the lower left hand corner vs the
> center of the frame. Or ignore it if you wish... I'm sure this can be
> explained away by someone who is SOLD on canon lenses and full frame
> sensors. :-)

IT's a poor shot. I can't say specifically what they did wrong...
except they put it up on the web in the first place.

> I'm sure this camera will rock with tele lenses. I'm just not sold on
> canon's wide angle zooms on a full frame body.

I've seen better examples (even wide open) with the 17-40 on the 1Ds and
1Ds Mark II. The cathedral shot at dpreview.com comes to mind. (1Ds
Mark II preview for those of you who don't know instantly what I'm
talking about.)
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

"Brian Baird" <no@no.thank.u> wrote in message
> In article <3mvopeF18flo0U5@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
>
>> > Distortion is normal in a REAL 17mm at teh corners...
>
>> But mush isn't. Look at the grass in the lower left hand corner vs the
>> center of the frame. Or ignore it if you wish... I'm sure this can be
>> explained away by someone who is SOLD on canon lenses and full frame
>> sensors. :-)
>
> IT's a poor shot. I can't say specifically what they did wrong...
> except they put it up on the web in the first place.
>
>> I'm sure this camera will rock with tele lenses. I'm just not sold on
>> canon's wide angle zooms on a full frame body.
>
> I've seen better examples (even wide open) with the 17-40 on the 1Ds and
> 1Ds Mark II. The cathedral shot at dpreview.com comes to mind.

You read my mind. I was thinking of that sample too...
It's a very impressive shot.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 12:42:25 AM

In article <3mvpa9F18v40hU1@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> This is the same sort of output I've seen
> from their wide zooms on the 1DsMkII as well, I didn't expect this one to
> be any better.

Samples?
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird