Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Processor for video editing/Gaming.

Last response: in CPUs
December 10, 2012 3:31:12 AM

Hello! I need some help choosing a good cpu for video editing and gaming. i am planning on making videos on youtube quite often. Right now i am told to go with the i7 3820, but i am still not sure. My other choice was the 3770k. note that i want to stay in the price range of the 3820 and the 3770k. the 3770k does better but still what do you guys think?
December 10, 2012 6:09:12 AM

Im confused you are stuck between the 3820 and 3770k? The 3770k is better and has plently of headroom for overclocking. Shouldn't really be much of a decision, buy the 3770k.
Score
December 10, 2012 7:13:40 AM

THG is not a good source for this comparison, since the 3820 isn't even on their CPU charts. You can get a comparison of those two here.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2012 7:28:07 AM

Yea I would go with the 3770k to my knowledge you can't overclock the lowest 2011 chip the 3820.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2012 8:24:53 AM

He's not in the market for a extreme processor and its complete overkill he said "good" not the "best"
Score

Best solution

a c 145 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2012 8:27:54 AM

i7-3770K

Be careful that you match the correct CPU with the correct socket. I build PC's and also do video editing. My advice for you is a setup like this:

1) CPU-> i7-3770K
2) CPU HSF-> suitable heatsink/fan (with 4-pin fan)
3) Motherboard-> 1155/Z77 (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte)
4) RAM-> 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz (if you require 32GB make sure to get a motherboard that supports it, and Windows 7/8 Pro)

*NOTE:
Video editing often requires lots of RAM, however CONVERTING video to different formats is simply processing intensive. Some people say they "edit" video when in fact they just convert it.

The following is a great 32GB kit. You MUST ensure you have support for it:
- Windows 7/8 Pro (regular supports only 16GB)
- Motherboard supports
a) this kit
b) 32GB
c) 1.5V
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65663&vpn=F3-12800CL10...

If in doubt, contact the motherboard manufacturer. You can usually find a LIST of supported RAM for each motherboard but it may not be up to date. However, if it's on the list it's supported. When in the motherboard BIOS, choose the default profile (i.e. XMP). Also, make sure to update the motherboard BIOS as compatibility support is often added for RAM, SSD etc.

CPU Overclocking:
The i7-3770K default setting will TURBO from 3.5GHz to 3.9GHz if needed. It usually can only overclock to a max of 4.6GHz which requires much more power and is significantly noisier. I don't overclock even when video editing since it's only a maximum of an 18% improvement and overall may only be a 10% time saver.

The STOCK FAN is very noisy, it's even noticeable in idle. There are several choices. I don't recommend water cooling for most but if maximum performance is critical then do your research specifically on the i7-3770K and water cooling to see what performance can be had. Something like the following is a great value and quiet:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2012 8:48:54 AM

This is really where you should think about AMD.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2012 9:15:15 AM

hahahahahhahaha! let me collect myself. Gaming intel has AMD beat senseless at the moment and Editing wise man the i7 would beat it again....... Honestly the most helpful post in this thread has been photon. He has laid out and simplified the entire process for him clearly and thought out.
Score
a c 145 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2012 10:26:33 AM

bigshootr8 said:
hahahahahhahaha! let me collect myself. Gaming intel has AMD beat senseless at the moment and Editing wise man the i7 would beat it again....... Honestly the most helpful post in this thread has been photon. He has laid out and simplified the entire process for him clearly and thought out.

Thanks.
As to AMD, there are very limited situations where AMD is a good idea and those have to be researched carefully. As for anything involving a gaming PC, the best value is the i5-3570K Intel CPU, or the i7-3770K for those also editing video.
Score
December 10, 2012 11:52:38 AM

photonboy said:
i7-3770K

Be careful that you match the correct CPU with the correct socket. I build PC's and also do video editing. My advice for you is a setup like this:

1) CPU-> i7-3770K
2) CPU HSF-> suitable heatsink/fan (with 4-pin fan)
3) Motherboard-> 1155/Z77 (Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte)
4) RAM-> 16GB of DDR3 1600MHz (if you require 32GB make sure to get a motherboard that supports it, and Windows 7/8 Pro)

*NOTE:
Video editing often requires lots of RAM, however CONVERTING video to different formats is simply processing intensive. Some people say they "edit" video when in fact they just convert it.

The following is a great 32GB kit. You MUST ensure you have support for it:
- Windows 7/8 Pro (regular supports only 16GB)
- Motherboard supports
a) this kit
b) 32GB
c) 1.5V
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=65663&vpn=F3-12800CL10...

If in doubt, contact the motherboard manufacturer. You can usually find a LIST of supported RAM for each motherboard but it may not be up to date. However, if it's on the list it's supported. When in the motherboard BIOS, choose the default profile (i.e. XMP). Also, make sure to update the motherboard BIOS as compatibility support is often added for RAM, SSD etc.

CPU Overclocking:
The i7-3770K default setting will TURBO from 3.5GHz to 3.9GHz if needed. It usually can only overclock to a max of 4.6GHz which requires much more power and is significantly noisier. I don't overclock even when video editing since it's only a maximum of an 18% improvement and overall may only be a 10% time saver.

The STOCK FAN is very noisy, it's even noticeable in idle. There are several choices. I don't recommend water cooling for most but if maximum performance is critical then do your research specifically on the i7-3770K and water cooling to see what performance can be had. Something like the following is a great value and quiet:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...

Thank you! This helped a lot. I think i while go with the 3770k. i was just going for the 3820 because there is a lot of upgrade room to a lot better cpu's. but i guess i can count on the 1155 getting better or i just go with the 3930k which is a lot more expensive.
Score
December 10, 2012 11:58:32 AM

Best answer selected by ZettaByteMC.
Score
!