Windows Installer Problem

I just started having this problem after one year of flawless performance on
this computer. I have three computers running XP Pro and this has been my
most reliable one until now. When I try to update or install a program I
get the following error message:

"The windows installer service could not be accessed. You many be running
in safe mode or windows installer may not be correctly installed."

I have tried Kelly's suggestions from her website as well as MS kb Q315346
without success. I tried a repair install of XP and that left me with the
same problem. I've run out of possible solutions.

I'm open to any suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks in advance.

David
3 answers Last reply
More about windows installer problem

    Solved the problem myself. How I did it I'm not sure. I went into services
    and turned on almost everything and now windows installer is working fine.
    Now comes the challenge to find out which service or services need to be on
    for it to work the way it's supposed to. I've been using Black Vipers
    suggestions for which services to run and which to turn off but now I'll
    have to be a little more careful about what I'm turning off. I guess it
    just proves that a little knowledge can be dangerous in the wrong hands.

    David

    "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >I just started having this problem after one year of flawless performance
    >on this computer. I have three computers running XP Pro and this has been
    >my most reliable one until now. When I try to update or install a program
    >I get the following error message:
    >
    > "The windows installer service could not be accessed. You many be running
    > in safe mode or windows installer may not be correctly installed."
    >
    > I have tried Kelly's suggestions from her website as well as MS kb Q315346
    > without success. I tried a repair install of XP and that left me with the
    > same problem. I've run out of possible solutions.
    >
    > I'm open to any suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks in advance.
    >
    > David

    Hi David,

    I guess in this case, the service that was needed to be turned on is the "Windows Installer"
    service. The default startup type of this servise is 'Manual' so it is recommended to leave it that
    way. I have seen that fiddling around with services to increase system performance often leads to
    more problems than actually solving any.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    > Solved the problem myself. How I did it I'm not sure. I went into services and turned on almost
    > everything and now windows installer is working fine. Now comes the challenge to find out which
    > service or services need to be on for it to work the way it's supposed to. I've been using Black
    > Vipers suggestions for which services to run and which to turn off but now I'll have to be a
    > little more careful about what I'm turning off. I guess it just proves that a little knowledge
    > can be dangerous in the wrong hands.
    >
    > David
    >

    > "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>I just started having this problem after one year of flawless performance on this computer. I
    >>have three computers running XP Pro and this has been my most reliable one until now. When I try
    >>to update or install a program I get the following error message:
    >>
    >> "The windows installer service could not be accessed. You many be running in safe mode or
    >> windows installer may not be correctly installed."
    >>
    >> I have tried Kelly's suggestions from her website as well as MS kb Q315346 without success. I
    >> tried a repair install of XP and that left me with the same problem. I've run out of possible
    >> solutions.
    >>
    >> I'm open to any suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> David

    Actually, that was one of the first things I checked and It was not the
    problem. Another service or services was turned off and when I turned it
    on, windows installer worked correctly. I just haven't figured out which
    one.

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi David,
    >
    > I guess in this case, the service that was needed to be turned on is the
    > "Windows Installer" service. The default startup type of this servise is
    > 'Manual' so it is recommended to leave it that way. I have seen that
    > fiddling around with services to increase system performance often leads
    > to more problems than actually solving any.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >> Solved the problem myself. How I did it I'm not sure. I went into
    >> services and turned on almost everything and now windows installer is
    >> working fine. Now comes the challenge to find out which service or
    >> services need to be on for it to work the way it's supposed to. I've
    >> been using Black Vipers suggestions for which services to run and which
    >> to turn off but now I'll have to be a little more careful about what I'm
    >> turning off. I guess it just proves that a little knowledge can be
    >> dangerous in the wrong hands.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    >> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    >>>I just started having this problem after one year of flawless performance
    >>>on this computer. I have three computers running XP Pro and this has
    >>>been my most reliable one until now. When I try to update or install a
    >>>program I get the following error message:
    >>>
    >>> "The windows installer service could not be accessed. You many be
    >>> running in safe mode or windows installer may not be correctly
    >>> installed."
    >>>
    >>> I have tried Kelly's suggestions from her website as well as MS kb
    >>> Q315346 without success. I tried a repair install of XP and that left
    >>> me with the same problem. I've run out of possible solutions.
    >>>
    >>> I'm open to any suggestions that anyone might have. Thanks in advance.
    >>>
    >>> David

Configuration Windows Installer Windows XP