Windows 7 Clean Install

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Pardon what might be a very obvious question. I'm building a system soon and there's something I haven't been ale to get clear on. If you already own Windows 7, the Service Packs are available as free updates. But they can be purchased for $100 , cheaper than the base OS. My question is: if I'm building a system, can I ONLY purchase the service pack to install Windows? Asked differently, does the paid service pack already also include the OS?

Many many thanks.

Solution
Ok...

It's not the service pack you're purchasing. The difference between the two versions are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) and Retail.

The $179 version of Windows is the Retail version. Generally speaking this version of Windows can be uninstalled from one PC and re-installed onto another PC without issue.

The $99 version of Windows is the OEM version. Generally speaking this version of Windows can only be installed on a single PC; tied to single motherboard. The ONLY reason you *may* be able to install this version of Windows onto another PC is if you experience a motherboard failure. Additionally, this version of Windows is supposed to only be installed on new systems intended for resale.

Only recently (since SP1 became...

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you are referring to a product such as this:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 - 64bit

Then the answer is this includes the full operating system AND service pack 1.

Now, you stated that you already own Windows 7. If this is the OEM version (like the one linked above), then you *may* be able to install that onto your new system (as long as it's uninstalled from your old system).

If you own the full retail version, then you *should* be able to install that onto your new system (as long as it's uninstalled from your old system).

OEM versions are tied to a single set of hardware (generally the motherboard) and with the exception of hardware failure, generally cannot be installed onto any other system. Retail versions can be moved from system to system, generally without issue. In either case, service pack installations are free.

-Wolf sends

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Thank you, Wolfshadw

1) for the sake of clarity, no - I do not own a copy of Windows

2) the reason I made this post in the first place is because if it is as you say - and I am sure that it is - why would anyone spend $179 for Windows 7 Home Premium when they can buy the Service Pack for $99. Put another way, if I'm building a system, why would I buy the more expensive version if I can do a clean install from the $99 Service Pack since that also includes the base OS?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok...

It's not the service pack you're purchasing. The difference between the two versions are OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) and Retail.

The $179 version of Windows is the Retail version. Generally speaking this version of Windows can be uninstalled from one PC and re-installed onto another PC without issue.

The $99 version of Windows is the OEM version. Generally speaking this version of Windows can only be installed on a single PC; tied to single motherboard. The ONLY reason you *may* be able to install this version of Windows onto another PC is if you experience a motherboard failure. Additionally, this version of Windows is supposed to only be installed on new systems intended for resale.

Only recently (since SP1 became available), did the newer versions of the OEM software become available (also at $99). In time, you should start seeing the $179 Retail version of Windows 7 SP1

-Wolf sends

Solution

claptrap22

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012

I see! Many thanks. That clarifies everything. Great help.