Votes: 11 16.9%
  • AMD exclusively

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Why not?

Same reason as any opinion poll - to get an idea of what people prefer.

Firstly, which side is most preferred, and secondly, of the two preferences, which is more likely to consider the other option, and which would prefer to stick entirely with one option (not that there's anything wrong with that).

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I think that's partly true, but despite what AMD says, both are competing on desktop/enthusiast CPUs, which is what we're mainly looking at on THG. Thanks for the link Scott!

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

AMD has nothing in the enthusiast market. i7 39xx trounces everything they've got by a substantial margin.
And no, 3570K/3770K aren't enthusiast class CPUs.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Who decides what constitutes an enthusiast? You?

I think there are a lot of people on here that would consider themselves enthusiasts, consider their hardware to be enthusiast hardware, and are not using CPUs costing several hundred.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Some really interesting stats here! Among Steam users:

- Firefox is massively more popular than Chrome.
- Almost 30% have uTorrent installed.
- GTX560 Ti is the most popular discrete graphics.
- Intel HD3000 graphics is the most popular of any graphics :pfff:
- System RAM is a near enough split (apparently) between 3GB, 4GB and 8GB.
- Intel have a colossal market share with gamers.

EDIT: Also 5%, 4% and 2% using BitTorrent, Vuze and BitComet respectively. So 30%+ have BitTorrent clients installed (and probably closer to 40% since there's not much reason to install more than one).

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

You're funny

SteveH3671

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Naa, it's voluntary, every month Steam emails a random selection of users and you consent to take part. Well that's what I've done in the recent past.

Of course that's not to say they're not snooping anyway, lol.

bc5

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
It's unfortunate it's not open to all users for a larger sample size. Why just do a random selection? Also disappointing that CPUs can only be broken down by clock speed. Also, unclear whether number of cores is physical cores or logical. Though with the majority using Intel CPUs and 2 or 4 cores, that's probably physical cores.

I'm glad they're doing this anyway!

Dumb question borderline trolling imo

Well I could say that was a dumb comment - didn't really add anything helpful did it? Anyway I didn't ask for a discussion - no need for anyone to post. The purpose is purely to collect votes and see if the results show anything interesting. Valve's hardware survey is excellent for stats though, glad Scott reminded me about that.

Well like I said, I know a lot of people base their decision on exactly that, but I'm not looking for how many people have a preference, but rather, of the people who DO have a preference, which is preferred and is there any room for negotiation. Or to put it another way, I'm interested in preferences, not lack of preferences. If both companies were offering the exact same performance for the exact same money, you'd just have to choose one way or the other.

Maybe I should have put some kind of disclaimer in the opening post stating the purpose of the survey. It shouldn't really be necessary though - it's just a poll collecting votes. Simple as that. At no point did I ask which was better - I asked which was preferred. Maybe I should have looked for an option to disable comments.

G

Ok, I "Prefer" the best performance for my budget at the point of purchase, , and if there is a choice between because they are even, I go with the best supplier deal such as free delivery, and if they are then both the same Oh i don't know Intel--because its blue!