Sign in with
Your question

Help with repeated PSU issues

Last response: in Components
December 10, 2012 10:37:39 AM

New build.... First PSU was a Seasonic X-750, and that emitted a high pitched whine noise when the computer was turned off. I could fix it by unplugging or turning off the PSU, and then it would fade after around 2 seconds. Second PSU was a Corsair HX750 and that had a very noisy fan, sounded like birds chirping. Third one was a Corsair AX750... and that had minor chirping, so I thought I would live with it. So after installing a ton of software, I ran it overnight to copy a bunch of data, and this morning it was shut off. The power button was unresponsive. Only turning the PSU off/on would get it to work, and the fan no longer spins...

Am I just the unluckiest person, or is something else going on here? I have three bad PSU's sitting in my office, and every time I switch a PSU it's hours of work to connect/disconnect everything and get all the cables tied down so they don't go into the CPU fan. Not to mention I now have to RMA three PSU's!

More about : repeated psu issues

a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2012 10:42:32 AM

This does sound very unlucky. Can you try your PSUs in another computer? Mobos still keep certain things powered even when off. It maybe an on board supply on the mobo. Hard to suggest better brands for PSUs. I do like my Silverstone Gold Strider... but your choices were good as well.
-Bruce
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:45:19 AM

Unfortunately I don't have a bunch of hardware to play with... I do have a fully functional older computer that this one is supposed to replace, it just needs to stay that way! I'm a photographer and have deliverables, so I need to keep using the old computer while trying to get this one up and running :( 
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 10:53:17 AM

Check the output voltage of your PSU. Are you using a surge protector? The PSU's may have gone bad due to voltage fluctuations.
m
l
December 10, 2012 10:59:16 AM

manub said:
Check the output voltage of your PSU. Are you using a surge protector? The PSU's may have gone bad due to voltage fluctuations.

I'm actually using a UPS, so voltage should be good and power should be stable... It's the same UPS that's been providing power ( and still is ) to my current computer that still works great.
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:01:00 AM

Hmm that's fine then. Can you check your PSU with an other computer, just to make sure that your PSU is bad.
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:08:08 AM

manub said:
Hmm that's fine then. Can you check your PSU with an other computer, just to make sure that your PSU is bad.

Unfortunately the only other computer I have is working, and needs to remain so... I have photo deliverables to work on! The PSU still works, the computer is able to power on, but the fan doesn't spin anymore. And this model PSU the fan is supposed to be spinning always!
m
l
December 10, 2012 11:50:19 AM

Some people at my office are saying that my motherboard is most likely the problem, and is somehow damaging the PSU(s). Any thoughts?
m
l
December 10, 2012 2:19:30 PM

shizam1 said:
Unfortunately the only other computer I have is working, and needs to remain so... I have photo deliverables to work on! The PSU still works, the computer is able to power on, but the fan doesn't spin anymore. And this model PSU the fan is supposed to be spinning always!

Your PSU may be working but it might not be giving enough output voltage for all the components to run. If you have a multimeter check the voltages.
m
l
December 13, 2012 10:04:04 AM

FYI - fourth PSU works fine. Antec HC-Pro 750. One difference with this one is it did not have a connector that could support four drives, so I had to use two. Drives are CD-ROM, 2X 3TB HDD, 1 SSD. But it's quiet and runs, so I'm happy.
m
l
!