Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Collected questions

Tags:
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 3, 2005 11:47:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Good morning

After playing WoW for some weeks I have come up with some small questions I
can't be bothered to ask separately so here we go and I hope nobody sheeps
me for throwing them together in one thread.

Hunter Pet
----------

- my cat has a red bar below the health bar. it is fully charged when I send
it to attack a mob and then slowly depletes and then stays on zero. what
does it imply? is it some kind of anger/aggro bar similar to a warrior
(never played a warrior, so I don't really know what I'm talking about :-)
can I use whatever that 'red' is for explicitely or is only handled by my
pets AI?

- can I explicitely make use of my pets skills (growl, claw, etc). when in
trying that in a fight, i get 'too far away' or some such message.

- my pet has a zillion of talent/skill points. training it for a new skill
takes one of them. is there any use for the rest of them (now or in the
end game)?


Interface
---------

- in my XP bar there is this small thingie that moves along, usually it is
at the position where the blue/purple of the current XP stands, but
sometimes it's way ahead of my xp bar. I assume it has something to do
with my relaxed/normal status and the XP multiplyer but don't really know
how to read it

- is there any way to store money in the bank? just so I don't keep spending
everything I own :-) now that I've gone past 30 that seems to be a prudent
thought with the mount on the horizon and all...


Reputation
----------

- My main is a dwarf and obviously it started out with a fairly good IF
reputation, however, lately I have played a lot in Westfall, Redridge,
SW and Swamplands (? - Sumpfland in German) and noticed that my SW
reputation is 'friendly' while my IF rep has dropped to 'wohlwollend'
(sorry, don't know how that is translated in the english version, I
guess soemthing along the lines of 'better than neutral but below
friendly').
what could be the reason for that, short of attacking IF forces? how
can it be brought back up? I have yet to take all the Gnomereagen
quests in Tinkertown, could that be the reason?

- I assume that one way to improve my reputation would be to donate lots
of wool and such to the quartermasters? is this correct?


Ranks
-----

- every once in a while I see people with ranks before their names (can't
guess at the english versions, in german they are 'Gefreiter' (private?)
'fussknecht' (?) etc). I /w'ed someone to ask how he got it and he said
he killed horde for it. however, as I am playing on a PVE server I don't
quite see how that works. does one get it for killing other-faction NPCs?
or are there enough pvp-flagged players even on an PvE server to reach
significant rank? is there a rule on how many I have to kill to achieve
rank? how come the trolls in frostmane did not contribute? As you see
there is little I know of this part of the game :-)


Well, before I recall more questions I better stop and make use of the
lovely summer sunday to sit inside and go hunt a little ;-)

Cheers Urbin

--
Urbin (32), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (17), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sneak (7), Troll Rogue (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gorosh (5), Tauren Druid (PvP) @sunstrider.uk

More about : collected questions

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 3, 2005 3:47:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:47:53 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu>
wrote:

>Hunter Pet
>----------
>
>- my cat has a red bar below the health bar. it is fully charged when I send
> it to attack a mob and then slowly depletes and then stays on zero. what
> does it imply? is it some kind of anger/aggro bar similar to a warrior
> (never played a warrior, so I don't really know what I'm talking about :-)
> can I use whatever that 'red' is for explicitely or is only handled by my
> pets AI?

I'm not sure, but I think cats are rogue like beasts and has a energy
bar like them. Basically rogues has 100 energy which regenerates at 20
per tick (1 tick = 2 seconds), they then use this energy to fuel their
special abilities (eg. Siniater Strike costs 45 energy, 40 with some
talents)

>Interface
>---------
>
>- in my XP bar there is this small thingie that moves along, usually it is
> at the position where the blue/purple of the current XP stands, but
> sometimes it's way ahead of my xp bar. I assume it has something to do
> with my relaxed/normal status and the XP multiplyer but don't really know
> how to read it

Yes, this is your rested indicator. I don't think you can read it
using Blizzards standart UI, except for just seeing if you are very
rested or not so much. I use a mod that, besides many other things,
give me a numerical value on my rested xp.

>- is there any way to store money in the bank? just so I don't keep spending
> everything I own :-) now that I've gone past 30 that seems to be a prudent
> thought with the mount on the horizon and all...

No. The only thing you can do, if you are afraid of spending your
money, is to make an alt and send the money to him.

>Reputation
>----------
>
>- My main is a dwarf and obviously it started out with a fairly good IF
> reputation, however, lately I have played a lot in Westfall, Redridge,
> SW and Swamplands (? - Sumpfland in German)

Sumpfland? Is it the zone north of Loch Modan with the city Menethil?
If so, it is called Wetlands in english.
If you care, you can try to look at http://www.kaldorei.com/worldmap/.

> and noticed that my SW
> reputation is 'friendly' while my IF rep has dropped to 'wohlwollend'
> (sorry, don't know how that is translated in the english version, I
> guess soemthing along the lines of 'better than neutral but below
> friendly').

I would guess "honored" which is just above friendly - the reputation
just below friendly is neutral.

> what could be the reason for that, short of attacking IF forces? how
> can it be brought back up? I have yet to take all the Gnomereagen
> quests in Tinkertown, could that be the reason?

Are you sure it went down? The reputation works like your xp bar: It
climbs untill it fills out, and then it empties and you go up one
reputation level.
Here is an easy test: If you are friendly in Stormwind and
'wohlwollend' in Ironforge, then go look at the price of food, or some
other vendor item, both places. If Ironforge is 10% cheaper then
'wohlwollend' definetly means honored (10% rebate on all prices is the
reward you get for being honored with a faction - yay, your mount just
went from 100 gold to "only" 90 :) .

>- I assume that one way to improve my reputation would be to donate lots
> of wool and such to the quartermasters? is this correct?

Yes, basically doing quests for a faction raises your reputation with
that faction. The cloth quest is mearly a repeatable quest which gives
faction.
Btw, you can only donate wool, silk and mageweave once, after that you
can donate as much runecloth as you want.

>Ranks
>-----
>
>- every once in a while I see people with ranks before their names (can't
> guess at the english versions, in german they are 'Gefreiter' (private?)
Yep, private.

> 'fussknecht' (?) etc).
Corporal.

>I /w'ed someone to ask how he got it and he said
> he killed horde for it. however, as I am playing on a PVE server I don't
> quite see how that works. does one get it for killing other-faction NPCs?
> or are there enough pvp-flagged players even on an PvE server to reach
> significant rank? is there a rule on how many I have to kill to achieve
> rank? how come the trolls in frostmane did not contribute? As you see
> there is little I know of this part of the game :-)

Kill PvP enabled horde players.

Try reading http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/basics/honor-guide.ht...
And here for the different ranks:
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/pvp/pvp-article-part2.html

In both URLs you can change "/en/" to "/de/" to get the german version
of the page (that's how I knew that Fußknecht = Corporal).

--
Regards
Simon Nejmann
July 3, 2005 3:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
news:5mafc194ikpm7fcccmsqunccvvmils78r1@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:47:53 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu>
> wrote:
>
>>Hunter Pet
>>----------
>>
>>- my cat has a red bar below the health bar. it is fully charged when I
>>send
>> it to attack a mob and then slowly depletes and then stays on zero. what
>> does it imply? is it some kind of anger/aggro bar similar to a warrior
>> (never played a warrior, so I don't really know what I'm talking about
>> :-)
>> can I use whatever that 'red' is for explicitely or is only handled by
>> my
>> pets AI?
>
> I'm not sure, but I think cats are rogue like beasts and has a energy
> bar like them. Basically rogues has 100 energy which regenerates at 20
> per tick (1 tick = 2 seconds), they then use this energy to fuel their
> special abilities (eg. Siniater Strike costs 45 energy, 40 with some
> talents)
>
>>Interface
>>---------
>>
>>- in my XP bar there is this small thingie that moves along, usually it is
>> at the position where the blue/purple of the current XP stands, but
>> sometimes it's way ahead of my xp bar. I assume it has something to do
>> with my relaxed/normal status and the XP multiplyer but don't really
>> know
>> how to read it

Blue XP bar means you have rested XP left to use up. The little diamond on
the top of the bar marks where you run out of rested XP. When this happens
the bar turns purple and you get no more bonuses (boni?). If the amount of
rested XP takes you in to the next level I don't think there is any way to
see how much you have left until yopu ding, at which point the little
diamond will appear.

> Yes, this is your rested indicator. I don't think you can read it
> using Blizzards standart UI, except for just seeing if you are very
> rested or not so much. I use a mod that, besides many other things,
> give me a numerical value on my rested xp.

>>- is there any way to store money in the bank? just so I don't keep
>>spending
>> everything I own :-) now that I've gone past 30 that seems to be a
>> prudent
>> thought with the mount on the horizon and all...
>
> No. The only thing you can do, if you are afraid of spending your
> money, is to make an alt and send the money to him.

Be very carefull about doing this. My bloodthirsty dwarven warrior was given
bank duty for a week while his trogg wounds healed. In that time IF
corrupted him completely and now I cant get him to leave. His sword
callouses have softened up and the only damage he takes nowadays is liver
damage from too much ale. Last night I logged on and he was naked dancing on
AH bridge. One of these days he is in for a nasty shock.


>>
>>- every once in a while I see people with ranks before their names (can't
>> guess at the english versions, in german they are 'Gefreiter' (private?)
> Yep, private.
>
>> 'fussknecht' (?) etc).
> Corporal.
>
>>I /w'ed someone to ask how he got it and he said
>> he killed horde for it. however, as I am playing on a PVE server I don't
>> quite see how that works. does one get it for killing other-faction
>> NPCs?
>> or are there enough pvp-flagged players even on an PvE server to reach
>> significant rank? is there a rule on how many I have to kill to achieve
>> rank? how come the trolls in frostmane did not contribute? As you see
>> there is little I know of this part of the game :-)
>
> Kill PvP enabled horde players.

On PvE servers Battle Grounds will be the fastest place to get honour
points. Not that I am an expert. I still have no rank, and proud of it. I am
the WoW equivalent of the conscientious objector, I just wish Blizzard would
send me a white feather to wear.

-Fallout.
Related resources
July 3, 2005 3:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Simon Nejmann" <snejmann@worldonline.dk> wrote in message
news:5mafc194ikpm7fcccmsqunccvvmils78r1@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:47:53 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu>
> wrote:

>>- is there any way to store money in the bank? just so I don't keep spending
>> everything I own :-) now that I've gone past 30 that seems to be a prudent
>> thought with the mount on the horizon and all...
>
> No. The only thing you can do, if you are afraid of spending your
> money, is to make an alt and send the money to him.
>


There actually is a mod that does just that....though I don't remember the name
of it.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 3, 2005 4:21:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Urbin wrote:

> Good morning
>
> After playing WoW for some weeks I have come up with some small questions I
> can't be bothered to ask separately so here we go and I hope nobody sheeps
> me for throwing them together in one thread.

If you get sheeped, use your trinket;)

>
> Hunter Pet
> ----------
>
> - my cat has a red bar below the health bar. it is fully charged when I send
> it to attack a mob and then slowly depletes and then stays on zero. what
> does it imply? is it some kind of anger/aggro bar similar to a warrior
> (never played a warrior, so I don't really know what I'm talking about :-)
> can I use whatever that 'red' is for explicitely or is only handled by my
> pets AI?

Different classes use different source of energy to cast their skills.
Most classes use a Mana bar (blue) that starts at an amount depending on
Intelligence stat and Level, and regens slowly at a rate determined by
Spirit stat.
Rogues use an Energy bar that starts at 100 and quickly regenerates over
time.
Warriors use a Rage bar that starts at 0 and regens when struck for
damage or when dealing damage.
Hunter pets have a Focus bar that starts at 100 and regens quickly over
time.

Your pet has a set of skills. Each time it uses its skills the Focus bar
depletes by an amount depending on the skill used. Growl (taunt), Cower
(untaunt), and Bite (damage) for example costs about 30 and have a
cooldown. Claw (damage) costs only about 25 but has no cooldown. So if
your pet has Claw set on autocast its focus bar will deplete quickly.
Right-click on the pet skill button to toggle autocast/manual cast.

Also, the order from left to right determines the order of priority of
the skills your pet will use. Remember that when your focus bar is at 0,
whatever your priority is, the pet will use Claw because it'll always be
the first available pet skill. So turn it off if you don't want to use it :) 

>
> - can I explicitely make use of my pets skills (growl, claw, etc). when in
> trying that in a fight, i get 'too far away' or some such message.

Strange!
Yeah, you can use explicitly use any pet skill. Try turning off autocast
on Claw to make it easier.

>
> - my pet has a zillion of talent/skill points. training it for a new skill
> takes one of them. is there any use for the rest of them (now or in the
> end game)?

There are plans on the Blizzard side to make basic pet abilities like
attack speed, armour or defence be highly customizable.

Remember you can learn new pet skills and train your favourite pet with
these new skills.
http://www.goodintentionsguild.info/hunters.html
gives a summary of all pet skills you can learn. Stable your favourite
pet, and go tame one that has the skill you're looking for. Then have a
few fights with the new pet until you see the message "you have learned
the skill "Claw 56" or something.
Then go back to your stable and teach your main pet the new skill.

>
>
> Interface
> ---------
>
> - in my XP bar there is this small thingie that moves along, usually it is
> at the position where the blue/purple of the current XP stands, but
> sometimes it's way ahead of my xp bar. I assume it has something to do
> with my relaxed/normal status and the XP multiplyer but don't really know
> how to read it

Basically, when your xp bar is blue, it means you have a rest xp bonus
(double xp from solo mob kills). The "thingie" informs you of where
you'll stop benefitting from that bonus.

>
> - is there any way to store money in the bank? just so I don't keep spending
> everything I own :-) now that I've gone past 30 that seems to be a prudent
> thought with the mount on the horizon and all...

You can't store money in the bank. But you can make a banker alt
character, to which you can send your money :) 

>
>
> Reputation
> ----------
>
> - My main is a dwarf and obviously it started out with a fairly good IF
> reputation, however, lately I have played a lot in Westfall, Redridge,
> SW and Swamplands (? - Sumpfland in German) and noticed that my SW
> reputation is 'friendly' while my IF rep has dropped to 'wohlwollend'
> (sorry, don't know how that is translated in the english version, I
> guess soemthing along the lines of 'better than neutral but below
> friendly').
> what could be the reason for that, short of attacking IF forces? how
> can it be brought back up? I have yet to take all the Gnomereagen
> quests in Tinkertown, could that be the reason?
>

Nay, reputation works much like XP and levels. Reputation levels are
given by the label, and the bar is some kind of progress bar. When it's
filled up, you gain a reputation level and it resets. There's no
reputation level between neutral and friendly.

> - I assume that one way to improve my reputation would be to donate lots
> of wool and such to the quartermasters? is this correct?

Yes. It also gives good amounts of XP.

>
>
> Ranks
> -----
>
> - every once in a while I see people with ranks before their names (can't
> guess at the english versions, in german they are 'Gefreiter' (private?)
> 'fussknecht' (?) etc). I /w'ed someone to ask how he got it and he said
> he killed horde for it. however, as I am playing on a PVE server I don't
> quite see how that works. does one get it for killing other-faction NPCs?
> or are there enough pvp-flagged players even on an PvE server to reach
> significant rank? is there a rule on how many I have to kill to achieve
> rank? how come the trolls in frostmane did not contribute? As you see
> there is little I know of this part of the game :-)
>

It only works when killing or contributing in PVP. turn your PVP flag
on, engage other players in your level range with PVP flag on, win the
fight, and you'll get a honourable kill. Enough honourable kills will
get you honour points in the end of the week. Enough honour points will
get you a new honour rank. Enough honour rank will get you new rewards.
"Enough" is intentionally vague because it varies from one server to
another :)  Just make sure you collect more than 25 honourable kills at
the end of a week (from maintenance day to maintenance day) so you
actually get honour points/ranks etc.

If you don't want to bother with PVP, simply ignore that feature in the
game :) 

Otherwise check this excellent honour guide: http://tinyurl.com/cvjqk


>
> Well, before I recall more questions I better stop and make use of the
> lovely summer sunday to sit inside and go hunt a little ;-)
>
> Cheers Urbin
>
Sorry it's sunday morning here and I'm a bit dazzled so my answers may
not be clear at all :) 

Have fun Urbin!
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 3, 2005 8:46:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 07:47:53 +0000 (UTC), Urbin <urbin@dunmorogh.eu> wrote:

Quoting myself instead of following up on all the very useful and friendly
answers I got...

> - my cat has a red bar below the health bar.

after all your hints I double checked and it seems indeed to be the focus
bar. also I now understand why it always only clawed due to the left to
right ordering on autocast. thanks for that hint.

> - my pet has a zillion of talent/skill points

I've now levelled up my pet to claw (4), growl(4), bite(4) and will attempt
to teach it to dash as soon as I find some suitable 'source pet'. however,
I still only use maybe 15 points out of >130. will the cost raise
exponentially or will I just have spare points for the rest of my pets life?

> - in my XP bar there is this small thingie that moves along

silly me, now that you pointed it out I wonder why I didn't realise myself
that this indicates when the bar goes from blue to purple ;-)

> - is there any way to store money in the bank?

i've already started an alt (suitable called Mymule) for the AH and she has
been promoted to keeper of funds as well. I will however keep a tight watch
on her and her habits and by choosing some low level alt she never really
had any callouses to loose ;-)

> - My main is a dwarf and obviously it started out with a fairly good IF
> reputation, however, I noticed that my SW reputation dropped

I didn't understand that the bar I see is for each level, I thought it was
overall and wondered how the 'friendly' bar would be longer than the bar for
my new, higher level. knowing the relativity of those bars of course makes
sense of things

> [lots of input on the honour system]

thanks for this information as well, I just didn't realise that even on a
PvE server so many PvPy things go on :-)

Thanks to all of you for helping me out. And just to keep you in practice, I
have a follow up question:

- I know that someone with enchanting can enchant a soulbound item if I
place it it the special slot of my trade window. is it also possible that
an enchanter can disenchant a soulbound item for me this way?


Going back to Azeroth now...
Urbin

--
Urbin (32), Dwarven Hunter (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gera (17), Human Paladin (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Sneak (7), Troll Rogue (PvE) @dunmorogh.de
Gorosh (5), Tauren Druid (PvP) @sunstrider.uk
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 4, 2005 12:14:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Urbin wrote:

> - I know that someone with enchanting can enchant a soulbound item if I
> place it it the special slot of my trade window. is it also possible that
> an enchanter can disenchant a soulbound item for me this way?

I think they can't!

But if they can then someone tell us please :) 
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
July 4, 2005 12:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

Urbin ytrede sig i <slrndcg5jt.hl3.urbin@stinky.trash.net> med dette:

[snip]
>- I know that someone with enchanting can enchant a soulbound item if I
> place it it the special slot of my trade window. is it also possible that
> an enchanter can disenchant a soulbound item for me this way?

No, unfortunately this can't be done.

It would make it a lot easier and cheaper to raise the enchanting skill,
and make the high level enchants much cheaper as well.
--
Allan Stig Kiilerich Frederiksen
"When you try to change a mans paradigm, you must keep in mind that he
can hear you only through the filter of the paradigm he holds."
-Myron Tribus
July 4, 2005 12:49:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"ASKF" <nospam@askf.dk> wrote in message
news:1jagc1p0qdkj6c9vodatvcpbriees3v37g@4ax.com...
> Urbin ytrede sig i <slrndcg5jt.hl3.urbin@stinky.trash.net> med dette:
>
> [snip]
>>- I know that someone with enchanting can enchant a soulbound item if I
>> place it it the special slot of my trade window. is it also possible that
>> an enchanter can disenchant a soulbound item for me this way?
>
> No, unfortunately this can't be done.
>
> It would make it a lot easier and cheaper to raise the enchanting skill,
> and make the high level enchants much cheaper as well.

But it would also mess up the economy by doing so...enchanting is supposed to
take a lot of money to raise up, since it (can) earn a lot of money at 300.

Plus, i got most of my money selling my enchanting mats to other
enchanters...that would be impossible if you could use soulbound stuff.
Enchanting would be dirt cheap, and if everyone has it it's nothing special.
!