Breakthrough in aesthetics of fine art photography

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 22, 2005 1:55:34 PM

The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
with innovative approaches.

I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
"conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.

You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
this page on my web site:

http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html

If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
you.

Yours for truth and beauty...

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

It will be clearly obvious to viewers of these images, that they are
being allowed a glimpse inside an artists' mind. An exciting concept -
well done!
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 1:55:35 PM

> Robert D Feinman writes ...
>
>I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention
>of "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done
>by anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough

Personally I prefer the Photoshop "creativity filter" plug-in, which
will change the way you use Photoshop ... http://www.tnphoto.com/crfil/
.... you have to click the 'download' link to see the true beauty of
this artistic breakthrough ...

Bill
August 22, 2005 2:15:42 PM

Robert Feinman wrote:
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...

Well, I can only say:

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

"Polar Bear in a Snowstorm" HS art class, Ca.1960's; "White album"; prints
of first roll of over exposed film;...already done. However, radio is
sometimes referred to as the "theater of the mind" and you don't even need a
printer. The blind have other points of view on this type of conceptual art.
Later, Will E.

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:43:35 PM

Robert,
I'm curious... have these photos been edited?
Thanks,
Marcel

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 2:54:50 PM

I guess one has to ask - what equipment are you using?

I suspect that there is more than a little post processing however it works.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 3:27:25 PM

http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/438final/ah43...

> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...

You risk ruining your pictures by storing them a JPEGs (i.e. lossy
compression). Pictures of this kind (as, I suspect, any other picture
from the "conceptual photography" category) will compress quite
successfully with any standard lossless compression algorithm for
obvious reasons. Store them as GIFs to make sure that everyone can see
them in their original beauty.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Robert Feinman wrote:

> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...

Fairly breathtaking. I hope it's all right if I d/l'ed and stored these
images on my personal computer, and tweaked the color balance and range
on my calibrated monitor.

Thanks for sharing your insights! I feel like a real artist today after
viewing and pondering your sundry statements.....

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for
> photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the
> wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my
> invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the
> technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in
> this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do
> not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may
> follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com

It's amazing how like they are to my own work, "The Emporer's New
Clothes".

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

Robert Feinman <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in

> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html

I like the out-of-step (or should I say, out-of-time) Changing Of The Guard
from your 'earlier work' (London Pans).

--
Regards,
Baz

I read your post late last night and thought you sounded awfully full of
yourself...but this morning I did go to your site to see how truly innovated
your work could be and found it not terribly innovative at all! It's been
done...I have several ideas in my head along the same line but haven't gone
that way because so many others have already done it. To be fair...just
because Moon over Halfdome has been done is no reason to avoid it.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter
"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:43:30 PM

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message

> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...

By the way, where is Robert Feinman?
Methinks he flew the proverbial coup...
Marcel
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:15:10 PM

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com

You're displaying them upside down.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:15:11 PM

Do a cartwheel, it looks all right
Marcel

"Ed Lowe" <elowe@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> You're displaying them upside down.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:11:07 PM

> You're displaying them upside down.
Moron! Who are you to decide, Nitwit! Nature has no North, South, East, or
width...these are conceits of man. There is no right direction. Go any
direction and you get to where you now stand. Maybe you are just looking at
them on the wrong side of the planet.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:22:43 PM

In article <LGnOe.818$rA2.94@trndny02>, palmiter_gene@verizon.net
says...
> > You're displaying them upside down.
> Moron! Who are you to decide, Nitwit! Nature has no North, South, East, or
> width...these are conceits of man. There is no right direction. Go any
> direction and you get to where you now stand. Maybe you are just looking at
> them on the wrong side of the planet.

Brilliant! Let's juxtapose these images with the rings of Saturn!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

On further consideration - I never gave the borders much thought before,
may be added a little to the image if chosen carefully but with your
work it appears that with out a border you have nothing. Guess will have
to re-evaluate this thought - borders make the image in some instances.

Ed
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:38:27 PM

In article <u8SdnQO0cbGSl5feRVn-pQ@rogers.com>, cosmar@rogers.com
says...
> Do a cartwheel, it looks all right
> Marcel
>
> "Ed Lowe" <elowe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > You're displaying them upside down.

Make sure you have your gamma set properly or you'll ruin the effect.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:15:10 +0000, Ed Lowe wrote:

> "Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
>> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
>> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
>> with innovative approaches.
>>
>> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
>> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
>> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>>
>> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
>> this page on my web site:
>>
>> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>>
>> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
>> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
>> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
>> you.
>>
>> Yours for truth and beauty...
>>
>> --
>> Robert D Feinman
>> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
>> http://robertdfeinman.com
>> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com
>
> You're displaying them upside down.
Sorry but anyone can see that that is wrong, they are back to front.
--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

In article <11gk61tbnmrl478@news.supernews.com>,
andreytarasevich@hotmail.com says...
> Store them as GIFs to make sure that everyone can see
> them in their original beauty.

But GIF will downsample the colors to only 256! You'll lose all the
tonality!

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

Another critique on the technical level is the frames. I don't like frames
drawn on images for the web. In this case my objection is really stronger as
without the frames the images are more expansive...they work into the page
itself and seem to go on forever.

--
"Andrey Tarasevich" <andreytarasevich@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Robert Feinman wrote:
>> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
>> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
>> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
>> with innovative approaches.
>>
>> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
>> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
>> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> http://www.csulb.edu/~karenk/20thcwebsite/438final/ah43...
>
>> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
>> this page on my web site:
>>
>> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>>
>> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
>> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
>> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
>> you.
>>
>> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> You risk ruining your pictures by storing them a JPEGs (i.e. lossy
> compression). Pictures of this kind (as, I suspect, any other picture
> from the "conceptual photography" category) will compress quite
> successfully with any standard lossless compression algorithm for
> obvious reasons. Store them as GIFs to make sure that everyone can see
> them in their original beauty.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Andrey Tarasevich
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:33:32 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:55:34 -0400, Robert Feinman
<robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote:

>The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
>photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
>continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
>with innovative approaches.
>
>I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
>"conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
>anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
>You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
>this page on my web site:
>
>http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
>If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
>forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
>diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
>you.
>
>Yours for truth and beauty...

Personally, I find they look better in IE than in FireFox.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Robert Feinman wrote in part:

> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.

You're smut has no place in this chatroom.

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:04:19 AM

Robert Feinman wrote:

> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique
> on this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html

Excellent pictures. You've certainly captured the essence of the
subjects.

-Mike
August 23, 2005 7:53:46 AM

Dude - Where's the rule of thirds?

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Robert Feinman" <robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
> photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
> continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
> with innovative approaches.
>
> I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
> "conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
> anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
> You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
> this page on my web site:
>
> http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
> If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
> forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
> diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
> you.
>
> Yours for truth and beauty...
>
> --
> Robert D Feinman
> Landscapes, Cityscapes and Panoramic Photographs
> http://robertdfeinman.com
> mail: robert.feinman@gmail.com
August 23, 2005 8:01:22 AM

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:55:34 -0400, Robert Feinman
<robert.feinman@gmail.com> wrote:

>The usual amateur doesn't spend much time pondering the state of the
>photographic "fine art" community, but, as the prices for photographs
>continue to escalate more and more, photographers try to catch the wave
>with innovative approaches.
>
>I think I have taken this to the logical conclusion with my invention of
>"conceptual photography". I don't believe this has ever been done by
>anyone else and thus, represents a true artistic breakthrough.
>
>You are invited to view my first, modest, attempts with the technique on
>this page on my web site:
>
>http://robertdfeinman.com/conceptual_photography.html
>
>If you appreciate this artistic breakthrough and wish to comment in this
>forum I hope you will frame your remarks in such a way that you do not
>diminish the impact of this innovation for other viewers who may follow
>you.
>
>Yours for truth and beauty...

I thought it was customary to list the aperture and shutter speed so
that other people would know how to follow your lead.
August 23, 2005 8:39:51 AM

> Dude - Where's the rule of thirds?

I was lost in the tritone scale.
!