GTX 670 image soft on CRT?

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
In the Tom's article "Do AMD's Radeon HD 7000s Trade Image Quality For Performance? ", it says " We also tested the GeForce GTX 680 prior to its launch in order to verify the newer card's output is similar to the old one [gtx 580], and it is." ... my questions is, was the gtx 670 also compared when it came out? Might its different hardware config on PCB or other issue be influencing?

I dont know about on an LCD, but it seems on my CRT (a few of us still choose them for gaming) that the 670 is not as 'sharp' or 'crisp' as the 570.
(In both cases using the typical DVI to VGA adapter.)
Fine textures, distant objects, shine, etc seem just a bit dull. nothing major to the casual eye, but just noticeable - hard to get used to after using the old card. Tried scaling settings, refresh rates(which do seem to make some difference, but not enough), made sure FXAA was off... not a contrast,gamma or vibrance issue I tweaked those also. my crt is pretty good 19" NEC apature grille. I run 1600x1200 and it normally looks better at that than anything lower. I doubt anyone else can report this since CRT use is rare. But of course I would like to know if you found the 670 to look as good as 570 etc on LCD. But I'm not sure my issue will appear on LCD. I hooked up one and it looked kinda good sharpness-wise.

thanks for all the great advise and reviews!

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
this is still an issue for me, I've been working on it. But so far only seem to have confirmed its a real issue, not my imagination! if anyone is using CRT with GTX670, or even 680, please let me know your experience. I guess maybe the issue could be called a problem with the analog video output part of the DVI-I connector. It would also be good if anyone can tell me if any of the other ports have analog in them other than the DVI-I output. I know the DVI-D doesnt and therefore can't be connected to VGA monitor with a passive adapter. Im wondering if either the HDMI or the Display port could be used that way but I really doubt it. I think DVI-I is only one, is that correct?
TY

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
solved (mostly): issue appears to be related to driver/contol panel issue with refresh rate switching. some games must be somehow forced to run at certain rate. Also, monitor previously was fine at 60hz. now is MUST be 61 or 62. NOT 60, not 63. That is new behavior. I had to create a custom rate for each HZ to discover that. problem is now mostly solved, a small but acceptable degradation may still exist, and Im having trouble getting all the games to run at correct rate. Nvidia control panel seems to be buggy under the 'adjust desktop size and position area' it keeps reverting to 75 hz, even thought resolution control area shows otherwise.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006

yes, but with nuance. CRT's do get fuzzy at higher rates. but this is new. Now its gets fuzzy at 60, but not 61. (never did that before, used to run fine at 60)) that was 1/2 of problem. the other half was also new, some of the games were not switching to desktop refresh, but running some wierd default 75, which I never instructed them to. I had to find ways to force them to run near 61. i think there is currently an issue with win7 64 bit and refresh rates ?maybe and together with maybe issue with the new 300x drivers for 6xx cards? so all that swirling around was quite a mystery and headache. its still a very minor issue because I cant get some games to run at 61, but either 60 or 63. 63 is almost as good as it gets but not quite as good as 61, but I can certainly live with it. am just glad to not have to mess with it anymore and can just enjoy games again.