Scientist in Sweden need computer help.

Hello
I work in a scientist project in Sweden and need an opinon regarding a new computer that our team have bought. We are using photoshop to fix scanned tissue pictures in TIFF. The pictures are really big, between 1-3 Gb. So of course we need a good computer. We have a computer with 8 Gb RAM and 3,4 GHz processor and that wasn´t enough, so we told the computer guys that we needed a better computer. And of course, we are lab nerds and don´t know so much about computers. So of course we trusted them. What we got was a Dell Precision T5600 Xeon E5-2603 1,8 GHz 16 Gb RAM. But we don´t think the computer is any good. It´s freeses even when your not using photoshop, and sometimes I can´t even send an email. But the computer guys told me that this is how things work. But I doubt it. We runned PC Mark and the score for the new computer was 2462 and for the old one it was 2753. I guess this means that the older computer is better, or? We paid the double price for the new one (3000$ vs 780$ for the old one).
I would really like your opinion. Is it normal that a computer that is 1,5 year old, and ¼ of the price, is better than a new one? Or is there something wrong with the new one. Can I expect something more from a Xeon or is this just wrong computer for image editing. I have seen that you have been discussing Xeon and if they are good for gaming and so on....
I would really like your opinion. Just tell me everything of what you want! :)
//Sofie
3 answers Last reply
More about scientist sweden computer help
  1. Hi, If running Windows 7, can you check the Windows Experience Index for processor, memory and graphics (Control Panel, System, Check the WEI)?
    The system is a professional one, so it should work, unless there's something wrong with the settings.
  2. Send it back for a refund and get yourself a some new IT people.
    Anyone tells you that a new computer freezing is normal needs to be in the unemployment line.

For photoshop get an i7-3770 or 3770k, 16gb to 32gb ram, a small ssd for the OS, a large Storage drive 7200rpm minimum, a destination SSD drive. It doesnt need to be big - just fast, and a scratch disk (an ssd again). Lastly get a supported GPU to aide in processing. Something like and amd 7850 or 7970.

All this should cost about 3k built and tested for you.
  3. I think you guys were scammed big time .. you can build a super high-end pc for $3000.. even $90 AMD Phenom II X4 945 has a better CPU Mark score than Xeon E5-2603.
    are you using a separate graphics card or using IGPU ?? If not I highly recommend getting a high-end nvidia based graphics card with CUDA support since it gives you distinct advantage for softwares like Photoshop .. but first I recommend getting a better cpu .. if you have a good budget I recommend getting a high-end cpu like i7-3960X.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Photoshop Computers Product