Sign in with
Your question

Will the ATI Radeon HD 4850 fit my computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2012 7:43:23 AM

So I'm looking to play games on this computer since my laptop is broken and I need to know if the Radeon HD 4850 will fit my current specs
I'm not really a whiz with computers so if I start talking jibberish I apologize.

AWRDACPI (system model, manufacturer is Award)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
PROCESSOR: Intel Celeron CPU 2.66ghz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
MEMORY: 1248MB Ram
DirectX 10.0

My current graphics card is pretty outdated and doesn't even have pixel shader 2.0 ... this is what it is.

Name: SiS 661FX
Chip type: SiS 661
DAC Type: Internal
Approx. Memory: 32.0 MB
Current Display: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60 HZ)
Monitor: Plug and Play
Main Driver: SiSGRV.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.3930 (English)
Mini VDD: sisgrp.sys

I'm sorry if not enough information was provided since I'm not really knowledgeable. If you need any more information I'd be happy to provide it.
Will the HD 4580 Fit? If not, what do I have to do in order for my motherboard to be compatible?
If this does not fit, could anyone recommend a cheap good alternative under $100? I'm only looking to play League of Legends. Thank you.

Need help ASAP
June 6, 2012 8:19:38 AM

Just measure the inside of the case. From the back to where it first touches something to the front.

Also from the power supply unit, do you have a 6 pin connector to plug into the graphics card? If not, I will give you cards that doesn't need to use the power supply.

XFX 7750 ($109.99) slightly over your budget, Card Dimensions (8.3" x 4.4" x 0.74")
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS 6670 ($92.99) Card Dimensions (6.6" x 4.6")
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also make sure you have a PCI-E x16 slot.

These cards will enable you to play league of legends decently and some other games.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:24:03 AM

I'm not sure if my case is one that opens. It's pretty beaten up as well, the whole front with the USB port is broken. Thanks for the cards.
Do I open the case with a screwdriver? Should I turn it off or leave the PC on?
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2012 8:28:17 AM

No current GPU, 4850 or otherwise, will work with your desktop.

The SiS 661FX chipset is quiet ancient and was designed for Intel S478 systems.
There is no support for PCIe, it only offers an AGP 8x interface (you should check your specific motherboard to see if there is actually an AGP slot avaliable).
AGP cards have not been produced for quite some time and any you find would be overpriced, under performing and would probably require a PSU upgrade.
Even if your system had a PCIe slot available, your CPU and RAM would be massive bottlenecks to any more current GPU.

Sorry, but it looks like you are in need of a full system upgrade.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:34:01 AM

Oh man, not the answer I wanted to hear..
I figured this computer was rather old and useless, would a motherboard upgrade such as the Gigabyte P55 UDR3 be a fitting choice for the 4850? I'm also looking to upgrade to a duo Intel i5 or i7 processor. Speaking of a full system upgrade, does that mean, the motherboard, processor, fan, graphics and sound card and etc all have to be replaced?
Sorry if im not making sense.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:41:57 AM

You say your case is beaten up, so when doing a whole system upgrade I'd change:

1. Motherboard
2. CPU
3. Memory
4. Graphics card
5. The case

Then it depends on what other components you have. Those are Hard Drive, Power supply and DVD drive. They Hard drive or DVD drive has IDE instead of SATA connection, you'll have to replace it as well. For power supply, it really depends on what you have.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:42:27 AM

Well, you could not just upgrade the CPU, motherboard or RAM alone, they all need to be upgraded together.
When you do that, you will need a new PSU, hard drive, DVD drive, case, etc.; which is essentially a full system upgrade (replacing every component).

A new sound card or network card is not necessary as all current motherboards have these integrated.
Depending on your upgrade path, a dedicated GPU is not strictly necessary either.
Both AMD and Intel offer integrated graphics solutions, with AMD's APU's being quite decent for gaming.

Basically, you are looking at several hundred minimum to replace the system.
If you have a few hundred laying around and would like to do so, please post your budget and country of origin.
Generally it is assumed that you will have a USB keyboard + mouse, monitor and speakers.
If you need any of those as well, be sure to let us know!
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:49:41 AM

Thanks for being fairly simple to understand and so helpful too!
Okay. I'm going to crack open my case and have a look at my current system. I'll identify what I have going and I'll work out what needs to be replaced.

I have around$200 laying around and that's about it really.
I'm from Australia. I do have a monitor, but its an outdated Acer AC711 and the screen is pink meaning that its probably old and crappy.
Could you define GPU for me? Not quite clear on it.
What should be the first thing I should buy due to necessity? The motherboard?

Is it possible for me to attach a photo of the current case?
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:52:30 AM

GPU is graphics processing unit aka Graphics card.

And I'm afraid you cannot just buy a motherboard. You'd need new processor and memory as well. And, I'd say, a new case too because if it's panel behind the motherboard is bent - I wouldn't put any motherboard in there because it could fry it.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:56:17 AM

Ah thank you.

Are you saying I couldn't buy the motherboard outright and purchase the processor and RAM later? I'm not looking to go nuts and just jam that thing right into my computer. I want to take special care. I'll just buy the motherboard, purchase the memory and processor later when I get the money as well as probably prioritizing a case as my first item.
m
l
June 6, 2012 8:57:42 AM

Exactly. Your old processor and RAM will NOT fit into the new motherboard.
m
l
June 6, 2012 9:00:54 AM

Yes, I think I'll get the motherboard I listed earlier. It seems budget appropriate and has good reviews. Will an i5 processor work for it?
As well as the HD 4850?
Looking at around possibly... $400-500?
m
l
June 6, 2012 9:02:49 AM

GPU = Graphical Processing Unit, more commonly known as a Video Card
CPU = Central Processing Unit
RAM = Random Access Memory, or more simply just Memory
PSU = Power Supply Unit

Unfortunately, buying any single component alone will not be enough.

Each CPU requires a specific type of socket and chipset from a motherboard.
Before you purchase a new motherboard you first need to know which CPU you are getting.
Your current CPU will never work with any newer motherboard, so you immediacies need both components.

Similarly, you can not reuse your current RAM on any newer system.
All current Motherboards and CPU's use DDR3 memory, compared to your current DDR1.

With a budget of only $200, it does not look good.
Even if inexpensive hardware was available, and I hear Austria is quite expensive, it is simply not enough funds :/ 
m
l
June 6, 2012 9:25:52 AM

InbredPancake said:
Yes, I think I'll get the motherboard I listed earlier. It seems budget appropriate and has good reviews. Will an i5 processor work for it?
As well as the HD 4850?
Looking at around possibly... $400-500?

Not really...

you still don't know what your hard drive is. You didn't tell us whether you had already purchased HD 4850. I know this is probably a bit over your budget, but it's a full build, if you can salvage anything from your old PC, it will bring the prices down:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($27.98 @ Amazon)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($141.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive ($17.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $591.91
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-06 05:25 EDT-0400)
m
l
!