Limited Debuffs Question

Does anyone know of an add-on that shows ONLY the debuffs that your
character has put on a mob or PvP enemy?

Shadrack
52nd Warlock (Perenolde)

no sense to do this i think?!?
i think the number of debuffs a mob can have is limited.. if u put on a
9th debuff, the 1st disappears... and i guess all 8 debuffs r always
shown?!?
(i heard this things.. never proofed it...)

Christian Stauffer a écrit :

> It's only a visual issue. Actually, there are addons that display all
> debuffs.

Ya sure 'bout this? Cause debuff choice seems to be one of the critical
issues in a raid party...

> > I think druids are one of the coolest classes in the game,
>
> At least for PvE: 101% agreed :)
>
> Chris.. but I still need better tanking gear

You're already making our 58 warrior jealous, Chris, so stop whining ;)

Side note, and completely off-topic, healing 8 people is easier than
healing 5. Did you know that? I didn't :)

maxnews01@web.de schreef:
> no sense to do this i think?!?
> i think the number of debuffs a mob can have is limited.. if u put on a
> 9th debuff, the 1st disappears... and i guess all 8 debuffs r always
> shown?!?
> (i heard this things.. never proofed it...)

Maybe it is only visual. Anyways, I was playing in a party of three
(l11) druids, and it was cool to see that our Moonfire spells stacked on
the mob. One for each party member.

I think druids are one of the coolest classes in the game,
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

"Thomas J. Boschloo" <nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:
> maxnews01@web.de schreef:
>> no sense to do this i think?!?
>> i think the number of debuffs a mob can have is limited.. if u put on a
>> 9th debuff, the 1st disappears... and i guess all 8 debuffs r always
>> shown?!?
>> (i heard this things.. never proofed it...)

It's only a visual issue. Actually, there are addons that display all
debuffs.

> Maybe it is only visual. Anyways, I was playing in a party of three
> (l11) druids, and it was cool to see that our Moonfire spells stacked on
> the mob. One for each party member.

DoT spells do stack. Don't know about debuffs, but I'm quite sure
they don't.

> I think druids are one of the coolest classes in the game,

At least for PvE: 101% agreed :)

Chris.. but I still need better tanking gear

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (54) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>> Maybe it is only visual. Anyways, I was playing in a party of three
>> (l11) druids, and it was cool to see that our Moonfire spells stacked on
>> the mob. One for each party member.
>
> DoT spells do stack. Don't know about debuffs, but I'm quite sure
> they don't.

Curses don't stack. If two warlocks cast the same curse only one will
stay on. Different curses will go together if cast by different
warlocks.

Strangely multiple curses of Doom DO stack.

--
Erick

"Erick Pelden" <epelden@excite.com> wrote:

> Curses don't stack. If two warlocks cast the same curse only one will
> stay on. Different curses will go together if cast by different
> warlocks.
>
> Strangely multiple curses of Doom DO stack.

My guess is effects do stack as long as they're damage only. As soon
as there's a another negative effect involved, they don't stack. But
it's only a guess of course.

Chris

--

"Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Christian Stauffer a écrit :
>
>> It's only a visual issue. Actually, there are addons that display all
>> debuffs.
>
> Ya sure 'bout this? Cause debuff choice seems to be one of the critical
> issues in a raid party...

I'm 75% sure about the number ain't limited, and 95% percent sure I've
seen addons for showing more debuffs than the default UI.
(And I'm 100% sure there are situations like in this thread where I'm
just talking out of my ass, which isn't really a problem as there are
enough people who will correct me).

>> > I think druids are one of the coolest classes in the game,
>>
>> At least for PvE: 101% agreed :)
>>
>> Chris.. but I still need better tanking gear
>
> You're already making our 58 warrior jealous, Chris, so stop whining ;)

I don't think Grunter considers his position as our main tanking
machine endangered by me :) But it sure warmed my heart to get
compliments from our grumpy orc.

> Side note, and completely off-topic, healing 8 people is easier than
> healing 5. Did you know that? I didn't :)

"I feel so save having two tanks" ;o)

Chris

--

maxnews01@web.de wrote:
> no sense to do this i think?!?
> i think the number of debuffs a mob can have is limited.. if u put on a
> 9th debuff, the 1st disappears... and i guess all 8 debuffs r always
> shown?!?
> (i heard this things.. never proofed it...)

No sense to this, you think?

I'll tell you the sense: I'm the warlock parked way up on the roof of
the base in Warsong Gulch looking down on the flag room. A whole flock
the enemy storms in for the flag, and I start slapping on the instant
cast debuffs -- 2 on each enemy, plus a curse. I'm using TAB to move
from enemy to enemy, but the chaos is such that I can't even begin to
keep track of who I've tagged, and who I haven't. So then I come to an
enemy with a whole mess of debuffs, and I've got to take two seconds of
valuable time to examine them and determine if I need to debuff or not.
OR I can just slap them on again, possibly wasting mana doing what's
already been done. Usually, I just give up and let the Rain of Fire
fall. But how nice it would be to have a mod that showed only the
debuffs I've given.

And here's where five people tell me to write it myself. :) And maybe
I will once I learn for sure someone hasn't already done it.

Christian Stauffer wrote:
> "Babe Bridou" <babebridou@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Ya sure 'bout this? Cause debuff choice seems to be one of the critical
>> issues in a raid party...
>
> I'm 75% sure about the number ain't limited, and 95% percent sure I've
> seen addons for showing more debuffs than the default UI.
> (And I'm 100% sure there are situations like in this thread where I'm
> just talking out of my ass, which isn't really a problem as there are
> enough people who will correct me).

Well, sorry, but yes, you're wrong. :)

The number of debuffs is limited to 8.

The default UI can't even show that many - it only has room for 5 -
that's why there are mods like DebuffViewer to display all 8. Get that
at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=1453

Blizzard have hinted that they intend to increase the debuff limit in
the future (because it does play havoc with classes like Warlocks that
are heavily dependant on DOTs and curses), but I'm not entirely sure how
they're going to do it without having to do quite a lot of rebalancing
of raid content.

Cheers!
David...

"David Carson" <david@eldergothSPAMTRAP.com> wrote:
> Christian Stauffer wrote:
>
>> I'm 75% sure about the number ain't limited, and 95% percent sure I've
>> seen addons for showing more debuffs than the default UI.
>> (And I'm 100% sure there are situations like in this thread where I'm
>> just talking out of my ass, which isn't really a problem as there are
>> enough people who will correct me).
>
> Well, sorry, but yes, you're wrong. :)
>
> The number of debuffs is limited to 8.

Oops. Thanks for correction. I didn't write anything else. Wasn't me.
*Whistle* Ow hi guys, never seen this newsgroup before, how are ya folks?

> The default UI can't even show that many - it only has room for 5 -
> that's why there are mods like DebuffViewer to display all 8. Get that
> at http://www.curse-gaming.com/mod.php?addid=1453

That made me think the actual number wasn't limited :)

> Blizzard have hinted that they intend to increase the debuff limit in
> the future (because it does play havoc with classes like Warlocks that
> are heavily dependant on DOTs and curses), but I'm not entirely sure how
> they're going to do it without having to do quite a lot of rebalancing
> of raid content.

Nice to know. This limitation feels strange to me, while I can fully
understand other limitations like certain debuffs from different players
don't stack.

Chris

--
[WoW] Wildcard - Treehugging Tauren (54) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]
Lonewalker - Striding Tauren (15) on EN Sunstrider [PvP]

Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> My guess is effects do stack as long as they're damage only. As soon
> as there's a another negative effect involved, they don't stack. But
> it's only a guess of course.

Wrong guess. Curse of Pain deals damage. Curse of Shadows/Elementals
doesn't. Both don't stack.

--
Erick

Christian Stauffer <wildcard666@bluewin.ch> wrote:
>> The number of debuffs is limited to 8.
> Nice to know. This limitation feels strange to me, while I can fully
> understand other limitations like certain debuffs from different players
> don't stack.

Imagine a raid with a whole bunch of warlocks and hunters
cursing/shooting at a boss. After 30 seconds the dps on him will go
through the roof and it's not much of a challenge any more. Limited
number off debuffs means bigger challenge since coordination is
required.

--
Erick

"Erick Pelden" <epelden@excite.com> wrote:

> Imagine a raid with a whole bunch of warlocks and hunters
> cursing/shooting at a boss. After 30 seconds the dps on him will go
> through the roof and it's not much of a challenge any more.

Neither warlocks nor hunters have the highest dps in the game. Even
with all their curses/stings/whatever, and these abilities are
integrated and critical parts of their classes.

So, when your aforementioned situation with that raid would work, it
would even work better by replacing warlocks and hunters by rogues
and mages. And they're not gimped because their damage output isn't
based on DoTs.

> Limited
> number off debuffs means bigger challenge since coordination is
> required.

Limiting the number of debuffs means decreasing the dps of classes
that get their DPS out of debuffs, while other classes still have
their full dps. So, I don't really see that point. If a boss is too
easy, why not just increase his damage output or his health pool
or armor, instead of making certain classes useless in bigger
groups? I'd hardly call that balanced.

Chris