Monitor Suggestions.

The Count

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
So I'm looking to buy a new monitor to replace my old monitor I've had for a few years. The problem is I don't know very much about monitors, so I am looking for some good 1920X1080 monitors. I'm looking to spend about $250 on one and I would prefer a 23" or 24". I have been looking into IPS panels and so far I've kind of narrowed it down to this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260055

Is that any good? Or should I maybe look into TN panels for my price range? What are some other good monitors around my price range? I will be using it mainly for gaming and photo/video editing.

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

One word no, the response time is 8ms I have a 2ms response time 23" that meets your wants here is the link

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=1218428704344&type=product&_requestid=131592

amdwilliam1985

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I have the 22" Dell Ultrasharp IPS screen @ 1920x1080p and I'm not having any problem with Diablo 3.
The screen color is just so much better than other cheap 22" LED screens.

I wouldn't say no to a nice IPS monitor so fast. depending on what games the OP play, response time may not be the biggest factor. and I would certainly not sacrifice color quality of the IPS for a TN monitor for photo/video editing...

po1nted

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
+1

The casual gamer is going to get MUCH more benefit from better color than a 6ms decrease in latency. If you put that crappy monitor linked next to a good IPS monitor the latency would not be noticeable but the color difference most certainly would.

Add in the photo and vid editing and the definite choice is an IPS panel, hands down.

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Response time is everything if you are gaming if it cannot respond fast enough then yuo see noticable choppiness and you cant see those colors if they arent fast enough to respond but I do not know anything about ips monitors so it is a preference thing.

Don't mean to be rude, but the difference between 1ms, 2ms, and 5ms response time is mostly a marketing gimmick. Unless you're a pro gamer in a world tournament you won't notice the difference. besides, to see the difference you'll need something like a rock solid system with above 60fps average. meanwhile, color can allow you to see that guy camouflaged in the bushes that you may not otherwise be able to. also, all the blu-ray movies will look that much better

Trust me, I have a 2ms response time 120Hz monitor sitting next to my dell ultrasharp IPS, and I game on the IPS for all occasions except when I want 3D

2fast4thetown_down

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

I am one of the above 60 fps people so that is why I use a 2ms response time monitor could you explain more about what IPS monitors are?

IPS stands for "In-Plane-Switching". which means the crystals in the pixel cells of the IPS panel are all parallel to each other in the same plane as the monitor surface. meanwhile, TN stands for "Twisted Nematic", and indicates the crystals in the cells of the monitor are not parallel, rather, they're induced to align in various ways when a current is passed through the cell.

There are some other differences, and the wikipedia articles give a fairly good summary of TV panels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_nematic_field_effect

What this ultimately means for the viewer is that IPS panels have much more uniform color every frame, much much wider viewing angels (awesome for watching movies with friends or multi-monitor surround) because the colors don't "grey out" when viewed at from an angle. and IPS usually displays "true color". meaning the blacks are black, whites are white, and all the colors in between don't look slightly grey-ish compared to the TN panel. you can really see the difference in this Youtube comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWXcNlh85Ps