Wanting to upgrade my CPU but can motherboard handle it?

it looks like that motherboard uses the 1156 socket, which uses the first generation core-i chips. if you could find a used chip for cheap, it might be worth it. what CPU are you currently using?

Liam1499

Dec 10, 2012

I am using an Intel i3 540

you should be able to run up to a Intel® Core™ i7-870 in that system. now the question is where to get one without spending alot, as a new midrange i5 will beat that chip hands down. if you can find a used chip somewhere for around 100 it might be worth it, if not, swapping out the motherboard for an LGA 1155 board might suit you better.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Not worth upgrading to i7 870. It goes for $400 for which you can get a new motherboard and i7 3770K which destroys the 870. I'd also have the RAM replaced with 2x4GB dual channel kit since it's dirt cheap nowadays. You can reuse the rest of the components though.

Liam1499

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks I already got someone to upgrade it for me but they wanted to know that information first. They said that there was no use of getting a new CPU if my motherboard cant handle it.

Should I just get a new computer and keep my Graphics card instead(AMD Radeon 6700)of upgrading my motherboard and CPU?

Also I was inquiring about the RAM as well and thinking of buying a 16 GB one. I don't know if my computer has enough spaces aswell to support 2x4GB dual channel kits (which I presume is what they are since I didn't know you could get dual channel kits).

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but what I meant was that you should definitely replace motherboard if you want better performing CPU such as i5 3570K/i7 3770K. So something with Z77 chipset, nothing too fancy though, e.g. ASRock Z77 Extreme4 would do.
Naturally, you'll need more RAM as well, so reusing the old one wouldn't really work since it's only 2+1GB sticks which doesn't work in dual channel mode (and you shouldn't buy kits that are less than 4GB nowadays anyways). 8GB (2x4GB kit) will be plenty for anything that isn't heavy video and/or image editing/3D modelling/rendering but since RAM is so cheap it won't hurt having extra I guess (you can even have a RAMdrive with 16GB).

And as I said earlier, you can just reuse everything else from the old PC.