ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Hello there... first of all i'm new to the forum so if i do something wrong just tell me.

I'm building a new allround rig. Mainly for gaming, but also of video editting and making a lot of room for future developments.

So far what i have is this, but its not set in stone:

Case: Cooler Master HAF XM

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Formula / thunderfx

Graphics card: ASUS GeForce GTX690

Harddrive disk: Western Digital WD2002FAEX

BluRay combo - ASUS BC-B1ST 12x

Now my question about these part are:

What do you thing of these and do you thing its a good combonation?

For a cooling systeem i'm looking around. I'm always used air cooling and have desided to go with the NOCTUA NH-D14. atleast... if it fits in the HAF XM but i think it does.
But i've also started looking at liqued cooling.
what are the pro's en con's between air and liquid and what would you suggest?

DeusAres

Distinguished
What's your budget?

Differences between air and water cooling...money, time, and temperature.

I suggest air cooling if you want to go the "put it in and leave it route".

Get watercooling if you like to tinker with your computer and have to have the absolute state of the art cooling...even if it's just by a couple degrees.

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
I don't really have a budget as long as it doesn't get to crazy.
like... if i can buy a cooler for 400 euro thats only 2 degrees cooler than a 100 euro coller than i'll go for the 100 euro cooler.

And i heard that a liquid cooler is a little more work but have no idea about the rest, that why i'm asking ^^

DeusAres

Distinguished
I see. And yes, the custom wc loop requires maintenance. You really have to pay attention and take care of it. It's not that difficult, but for you, I'd just recommend you get a top notch air cooler and not worry about it.

Try something like this...
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dha6

I personally wouldn't go the gtx 690 route. I'd just go with two gtx 670s in SLI. However, if you absolutely want the gtx 690, then go for it. It's a great card. For what you're doing, you can get similar performance for a little less by going with the build I suggested.

If you want a better looking CPU cooler, go with this...
ZALMAN CNPS12X 120mm Long Life Bearing High Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118097

It looks better than the noctua in my opinion. It also offers similar performance.

Hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Good luck! :)

DeusAres

Distinguished

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
I think i'll go for the aircooling than. As for the case... i just picked it because it has good cooling and is also quiet. but the antec is always good to.

Also i say you sellected a nice motherboard, but one of the reasons i chose the formula is cause of the extra feathures. apart from PCIe 3.0 it also has the possibility for thunderbolt.

DeusAres

Distinguished
I gotcha. The asrock board offers pci gen 3 as well. If you need the other features, feel free to change the mobo back to what you had. It's your build. :) I'm only here to offer suggestions and alternatives.

Good luck!

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
yup.. and thanks for the quick responses.
as for the Memory i'm not compleetly sure what to look for.
It needs to be 16GB (2x 8GB) and a good speed is 9-9-9-24. but that still leaves like hundreds of options. someone suggested Corsai Vengeance or Dominator, but i dont see the difference :p

DeusAres

Distinguished
Make sure you get a kit with 4 dimms. The lga 2011 based mobo you're looking at supports quad channel memory.

There isn't much difference between the RAM kits. Just get a kit that is 1600mhz with these timings 9-9-9-24.

The RAM i recommended will work great. You'll want to make sure you get low profile RAM. This way you won't run into clearance issues with the RAM and the bulky cpu cooler.

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Maximus V Formula is a LGA1155 board. its dual Channel. and accoording to measurement even with a beast like noctua it should fit nicely.
the board is also the reason why i was looking at wc. cause i heard it was specially made to fit nicely with a wc system.

DeusAres

Distinguished
Whoa! Hold up! My apologies, I didn't realize the board you were referring to was an lga 1155. If you go with that board, change that CPU to an i7 3770k. If you want the 3930k, you're gonna have to step that board up to a lga 2011 based mobo.

Lol, we could've had some serious problems if you would've went with that combination. The 3930k won't work on that board. Sorry about that.

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
woops... thats my bad i think..

forgot to mention my processor in the list.

my mind was already set on a i7-3370K.

Also have a topic on that under cpu's but haven't got a reply yet.
I heard that the ivy bridges incl 3370k had some heating issues because of the thermal density and the paste or something.
that was in may, and was wondering if that got fixed yet.

DeusAres

Distinguished
It's due to it's 22nm architecture. It heats up a bit. It's nothing you need to worry about. You'll be fine with the i7 3770k and either the noctua or zalman cooler I recommended. Either of those coolers will keep everything nice and cool.

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Okee nice,

on the cooling part.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018
the noctua is actually about 10-15 degrees cooler than the Zalman.

also the Thermalright Silver arrow is better and much cheaper. its even better than the d14 on some levels.
--------------------------------------

Okee.. you've help me really a lot. i'm actually almost done.
the last part i need is a Power supply.
You linked me the Corsair HX1050.
With all the gear i have now isn't that a little overkill?

DeusAres

Distinguished

The PSU is sort of overkill, but you won't have to upgrade that part for many years to come. It's a solid PSU. I recommended it in the beginning because I thought you were gonna be going with a lga 2011 based build. You could drop it down to a Corsair HX750 or HX850. It's still fully modular and will handle all your needs and a few upgrades.

In that case, I'd go with the noctua all the way. It's better to have the best cooling you can get with the 3770k. Ivy bridge runs a bit hotter than most CPUs.

DeusAres

Distinguished

ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for all the advice.
I'll start ordering in the upcomming week i guess.

if there is any more tips you have i'll take them gladly, if not... thanks again ^^