Rebuilt gaming PC wont start up

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Okay, so my friend has an HP computer. It was 6gb RAM, a quad fore 2.6GHZ or something processor. 640gb HD, and a crappy video card. So i told him to upgrade his GFX card, his PSU to power it, and his case for more airflow and for it to stay cooler..

Well i have everything plugged, and it wont turn on. If hit button, ive flipped the switch in the back. And i think everything is plugged in.

Here is the specs now..
Mobo - HP M2N78-LA (Violet)
Case - Rosewill Gaming
PSU - Corsair GS600
GFX - XFX DD Radeon 6870
HDD - Western Digital 640gb

Ive tried booting it up without the RAM and GFX card.. didnt work.
There was one point in time where i unplugged and plugged back in the big 12vATX cord slowly, and i seen the Power supply flick on and then right back off?

Why wont it start up?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

I have been using the PSU in my gaming PC for about 6 or so months now. Its Corsair. It works beautifully.

That cannot be it.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Also what do you mean on the standoff correctly? I know the board is having to sit in a different position in this case, but that shouldnt make a problem should it?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

How can i know this? This board was like one of the old fashioned ones where its upside down and the PSU is at the top of the tower instead of the bottom. The new case is this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Now i got to the point where the power button works, but i can sit and hit it over and over and once in awhile the computer will power on for like 1/2 a second then go right back off?

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

This is after the new PSU and GFX card being hooked up in the new case.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
ive done just about everything on that link possible. I dont understand.. everyone other PC ive hooked up from scatch worked fine? Could the mobo be dead? or what? or is the mobo too old and outdated for this newer stuff?

Did you try this to see if you get a boot? To eliminate the possiblility of a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU, you will need to pull the motherboard out of the case and reassemble the components on an insulated surface. This is called "breadboarding

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Yes we "breadboarded" it with the original PSU. It worked.

We breadboarded it with the new PSU.. it worked.

The 4/8 Pin Connector to the motherboard was plugged in backwards so it wasnt snapping in right. >.< hours on end and stress, just cuz of that. I feel stupid lol.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Okay nevermind.. i put it all back together with Corsair PSU, and it started up for about 10 seconds, then died. it did this like 10 times.. then it wouldnt start at all anymore.. i dont get it.... it is frustrating me.

Okay, so you found out it worked while breadboarding. Double check when you put the setup in your case that you have the standoffs right.

Did you install the standoffs under the motherboard? Did you place them so they all align with the screw holes in the motherboard, with no extra standoffs touching the board in the wrong place? A standoff installed in the wrong place can cause a short and prevent the system from booting.

ren3gade

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Wait.. the case came with standoffs? What exactly are standoffs?

All we did was set the motherboard in the case, align it with the holes, and screw it in?