BagelAnne

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004
Just got an old TradeWIN PC
Anyone know what kind of modem this is?
It is tiny and has its own special slot.
I need to find and install drivers.
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's likely CNR or AMR. Look up those terms on Tom's to figure out which. Your motherboard CD should have the drivers, if not the manufacturer of your board has them listed under your board's driver set. It's based on the motherboard itself and lacks any significant hardware on the modem "card".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BagelAnne

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks,I will look up CNR and AMR.
I did not know the motherboard held drivers
Thank you again for sharing your knowledge.
I am off to check out your leads.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The motherboard doesn't "hold" drivers, it uses drivers for the chipset and onboard devices. A modem controller codec is integrated into these boards that can be accessed by a simple rizer card (CNR or AMR). The "modem" is enabled/disabled in BIOS, and the driver for it comes with the motherboard when you buy the motherboard seperately. But if you buy a system it often doesn't include the driver CD that came with the motherboard, which usually means you'll have to figure out which motherboard you have in order to download the driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Codecs aren't "real" hardware, they're simple digital/analog converters that rely on the CPU to perform the other functions. Hence AMR and CNR modems have higher CPU overhead than "hardware" modems or even most "software" modems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>