Wireless network WEP Problem (Windows XP)

Last response: in Networking
August 9, 2004 12:32:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

I have been wrestling with this problem for several days and have
'Googled' it to death with no answer. Perhaps someone here can shed
some light on what is wrong and point me to a solution. I am at my wits
end and really need help.

First, I have a DSL connection to a Zoom X5 modem/router. To that are
connected one PC (XP Home) via an Ethernet cable and one Lynksys WAP 11
access point. A Compaq Presario (XP Pro) connects to the WAP 11 through
its built in wireless device. XP's firewall on both machines is
disabled. Static IP addressing is used on both machines. DHCP is off on
the WAP 11.

All work just as I expected. I can connect to the internet from both
machines through the DSL connection and share files between the machines
with no problem AS LONG AS WEP IS DISABLED on the WAP 11.. However, if
I enable WEP
for either 64 or 124 bit encryption, I can neither access the internet
nor share files between the two machines. The Wireless Connection
Status/Support shows Invalid IP Address with WEP enabled and Manual
Configured without it so it doesn't seem to be a 'key' problem.

I have tried two other combinations of routers/access points as well as
other computers with wireless adapters and still have the same
problem -- No WEP = success, WEP = failure.

Please give me any help you can.

Thank you very much.
March 12, 2005 9:28:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

When you enable WEP I'm assuming you do generate the encryption key
and enter it into your wirless connection settings on the router
right?

Also, when you enable WEP, does the hard wired PC still get on the
internet or do you lose connectivity on that machine too?

E-Mail me and I'm positive I can help you out.

Dale Karthauser A+, Network+, CCNA, MCSE
dale@grepico.com

!