Nokia 610 - short-sighted?

Last response: in Brands
August 4, 2004 4:00:00 PM

Just picked up a car with the new Nokia 610 car kit installed. Great. Or so
I thought....

My 3650 won't play with it. The 610 uses the bluetooth SIM access profile
(SAP) - and won't even start to talk to a phone without it.

So - change the phone.

However - only three phones seem to have SAP fitted. All Nokias. The 6230,
the 6810 and the 6820. None of which can handle faxes, which as a
businessman, is a key requirement of mine.

Why are Nokia so stupid? They are selling a great car kit which does not
have a phone that can work with it and is suitable for what is presumably
their main target market.

Not impressed. Any one know if there are any non-Noiia phones out there with
SAP?

Cheers

Tim
August 4, 2004 7:29:34 PM

(SNIP)They are selling a great car kit which does not
have a phone that can work with it and is suitable for what is presumably
their main target market.(SNIP)

You say your self that three phones work with it. Ok, these are all Nokia
phones, but its a Nokia CarKit, its called business. If you buy the kit or a
car with it installed then you are tied to buying a Nokia phone. Maybe a
marketing move. You dont subscribe to NTL/Telewest and then expect to watch
Sky Movies do you?

Its sold as a handsfree car kit and works as such (with the 3 phones that
you mention) but im sure other phones will be released in time that will be
compatible with it.

Steve
Anonymous
August 4, 2004 7:30:11 PM

> However - only three phones seem to have SAP fitted. All Nokias. The
> 6230,
> the 6810 and the 6820. None of which can handle faxes, which as a
> businessman, is a key requirement of mine.

What exactly do you mean by hanling faxes? Can you provide me with a phone
model which does what you require?
August 4, 2004 8:38:27 PM

"Steve" <No@Way.com> wrote in message
> (SNIP)They are selling a great car kit which does not
> have a phone that can work with it and is suitable for what is presumably
> their main target market.(SNIP)
>
> You say your self that three phones work with it. Ok, these are all Nokia
> phones, but its a Nokia CarKit, its called business. If you buy the kit or
> car with it installed then you are tied to buying a Nokia phone. Maybe a
> marketing move. You dont subscribe to NTL/Telewest and then expect to
watch
> Sky Movies do you?
>
> Its sold as a handsfree car kit and works as such (with the 3 phones that
> you mention) but im sure other phones will be released in time that will
be
> compatible with it.
>
> Steve

Possibly a point being missed here.

The 610 is aimed, as Nokia admit, at the mobile businessperson, the heavy
phone user. It is an expensive kit, unlikely to be the solution of choice
for the average user.

Business people, myself included, use a mobile phone to send and receive
faxes. Most new phones have the bluetooth fax profile. EXCEPT for the
three quoted above. My criticism is that it seems nuts to launch this kit
at a market that needs more functionality from their phones than is possible
from the only available phones that can use the car kit.

August 4, 2004 10:53:03 PM

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:29:34 +0000, Steve wrote:

> (SNIP)They are selling a great car kit which does not
> have a phone that can work with it and is suitable for what is presumably
> their main target market.(SNIP)
>
> You say your self that three phones work with it. Ok, these are all Nokia
> phones, but its a Nokia CarKit, its called business. If you buy the kit or a
> car with it installed then you are tied to buying a Nokia phone. Maybe a
> marketing move. You dont subscribe to NTL/Telewest and then expect to watch
> Sky Movies do you?

You can get Sky Movies on Telewest and NTL.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:10:54 AM

> You really think that you should be sending faxes while your
> driving????????

No, the original poster wants to use a mobile phone which supports *both*
sim access profile (for his car kit) and fax profile (for other needs) not
at the same. He just wants a single phone which can do both.

To original poster: being a business user and using so far only Nokia phones
for all my needs, I am not aware of fax profile you mention. Can you point
me to some phone which supports it and/or explain this BT profile?

TIA
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 2:10:55 AM

"Romulus Marius Mare" <romulus_DOT_mare_AT_@interscope.ro> wrote in message

> "Steve" <No@Way.com> wrote in message
> > You really think that you should be sending faxes while your
> > driving????????
>
> No, the original poster wants to use a mobile phone which supports *both*
> sim access profile (for his car kit) and fax profile (for other needs) not
> at the same. He just wants a single phone which can do both.
>
> To original poster: being a business user and using so far only Nokia
phones
> for all my needs, I am not aware of fax profile you mention. Can you point
> me to some phone which supports it and/or explain this BT profile?
>
> TIA

Hi - and yes, spot on, I don't want to send a fax whilst driving, but I
don't want to have to have two phones either!

Bluetooth has a number of profiles in its standard. One recent arrival is
the SIM Access Profile (SAP) that the 610 must find on the phone before it
will talk to it. Nokia only build three phones that have this profile.

To send a fax from a PC using bluetooth, the phone must have the fax profile
in Bluetooth. None of the phones that have SAP have the fax profile. Which
is the issue.

Have a look at:

http://www.nokia.com/phones/comparephones/compare_resul...

Expand all, and you will see that the first and second phones can use the
610 car kit (the third, the 3650, my current phone, can't) and yet the 3650
can handle fax and data calls, the others can just do data. Hopeless.

August 5, 2004 6:22:55 PM

> My 3650 won't play with it. The 610 uses the bluetooth SIM access profile
> (SAP) - and won't even start to talk to a phone without it.

Quote from Expansys web site

Compatibility - The Nokia 610 car kit phone can be paired with 2 different
device classes: Mobile phones supporting Bluetooth SIM Access Profile; Other
devices using Bluetooth technology, such as wireless headsets

Is This wrong??

Steve
Anonymous
August 5, 2004 10:27:22 PM

> Bluetooth has a number of profiles in its standard. One recent arrival is
> the SIM Access Profile (SAP) that the 610 must find on the phone before it
> will talk to it. Nokia only build three phones that have this profile.
>
> To send a fax from a PC using bluetooth, the phone must have the fax
> profile
> in Bluetooth. None of the phones that have SAP have the fax profile.
> Which
> is the issue.
>
> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.nokia.com/phones/comparephones/compare_resul...
>
> Expand all, and you will see that the first and second phones can use the
> 610 car kit (the third, the 3650, my current phone, can't) and yet the
> 3650
> can handle fax and data calls, the others can just do data. Hopeless.

All clear now. The difference I see now is that first two phones are 40
series and last one is 60 series. Not even the upcoming 6860 has fax
transmission. I think you've no choice. Sorry to hear. I am not using mobile
faxes so I am not in this possition...
!