Sign in with
Your question

Computer randomly freezing while gaming.

Last response: in Components
December 10, 2012 9:42:44 PM

So I recently built my new computer, and now when I'm playing games online, the computer will start to slow down and the game will freeze and it will lock up. I was just playing a game of League of Legends with some friends, and my computer locked up and I could hear them talking, but they couldn't hear me. I had to restart my computer, because it wouldn't let me do anything. League isn't the only game it's done it on, it happens everytime I play Forge on steam, and was happening when I would play borderlands 2 with some friends.

PC specs: Core I7 3770k
EVGA gtx 680 2gb
16gb kingston hyperx
asus maximus V formula mobo
using an SSD as a boot drive and everything else is stored on a secondary 1 TB Velociraptor.
850 corsair psu
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

If I managed to leave something out and more info is needed, just let me know and I will provide everything. I'm also running a dual monitor set up if that would have any thing to do with it.
December 10, 2012 11:28:02 PM

Hi :) 

Got to be heat...check the temps...

All the best Brett :) 
December 11, 2012 12:05:07 AM

the stock coolers bxed with intel i5/i7 are terrible. so as above, check temps, use HwMonitor.
Related resources
December 11, 2012 5:01:59 PM

I should have added that in aswell, I'm using the Corsair H100i to cool the CPU.
December 11, 2012 7:53:50 PM

toastytoasts said:
I should have added that in aswell, I'm using the Corsair H100i to cool the CPU.

Sorry if this comes across as a bit insulting, but you did put 2 fans in the proper location and direction on the h100 correct?

Do you have msi afterburner or precision x installed? Use that to monitor the GPU, and to maybe make a more aggressive fan profile to help with temps if you find they are too warm.

Good luck!
December 11, 2012 7:58:00 PM

I think I might have a problem with my mother board. In the bios it is showing my cpu being at a 3.5ghz clock speed and a 35 multiplier, but if I start a prime95 test just to get my usage to 100% and look at cpu-z, it's showing my cpu at a 3.9ghz clock and a multiplier of 39. I checked to see if it was some how on the turbo charge setting, but it wasn't. When I selected turbo, it put it at like 4.5 and pushed the heat of my cores to close to 90C, so I had to restart like immediately to reset clocks. While I have Prime95 running now, it still shows 3.9ghz, and the temps are around 65-56 C.
!