jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I am almost finished building my new PC, but i have a concern, I ordered Windows 7 Home Premium OEM Branded Dell from Softwaresupplygroup, what I recieved was a reinstallation disk, but it has a COA and Product Code, will this work, and is it legal? It says Dell branded but it will work on any computer on their site, but i dont know what to do, i am concerned, any help?

bliq00

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
it's probably not technically legal but it might work. The only trouble you might have is it might have specific drivers included which may cause it to blue screen during installation and/or it might have some sort of mechanism to check if the hardware is really Dell (like trying to read a Service Tag off a ROM on the motherboard or something). But it's also possible it will just work. Sorry I can't help more other than to say try it out. will that place guarantee it will work? because once you open it, most places won't take a return.

This will work just fine. They may have broken an agreement with Dell by selling it to you but under the first sale doctrine you have no agreement with Dell and thus none to break.

The CD key can be used with any Windows installation CD of the edition it is for. You can get the official Windows installation CDs from Digital River here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3316.2-1-microsoft-windows-7-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

Dell just provides the blog post, the links are from Microsoft for trial and re-installation purposes.

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

So I could do a clean install on a brand new computer with a reinstallation disk from dell? I will check out the blog post too, but it has reinstallation and has a COA and product code, so will it work?

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Also i read the blog post, what am i supposed to do with it? Download it then use my key? How do i get it to the new computer?

jackstack10

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

Also how does the first sale doctrine protect me? Sorry for all the questions, you just seem smart :)

The product key is all that you need. You should keep the COA safe. Since you purchased an OEM licence it will be tied to the motherboard of your PC and cannot be transferred to another computer.

The dell "reinstallation CD" could just be a Windows installation CD and nothing more, or it could be some sort of system image with all the included bloatware. This is why I recommend getting the official installation CD from Microsoft and using the product key with that instead, there's no chance of extra crap you don't want.

As for the first sale doctrine it simply means that someone cannot be held accountable to a contract that they were not a party to. This means that if the reseller sold you a licence in violation of their sales contract with Dell then they are on the hook, not you.