Pet Level Up

Hi there,
I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But he's
L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?
TIA

--

"Know who you are, Be what you know"
--LordSpike

LordSpike schreef:
> Hi there,
> I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But he's
> L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?

I am probably stating the obvious, but lots of action??
Thomas
--
Life is like a videogame with no chance to win - ATR

On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 11:18:54 +0200, "Thomas J. Boschloo"
<nospam@hccnet.invalid> wrote:

>LordSpike schreef:
>> Hi there,
>> I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But he's
>> L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?
>
>I am probably stating the obvious, but lots of action??
>Thomas

Take him to where there are critters of around about the same lvl, set
him on aggressive and just act as backup.

Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
Thanks anyway :)

--

LordSpike schreef:
> Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
> something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
> your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
> Thanks anyway :)

You can channel health to your pet right? That should make him last
longer while he is 'in training'..

Didn't know pets had XP though.. I'm pretty new to the game.

Thomas
--

"LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
> something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
> your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
> Thanks anyway :)

I've noticed that taming beasts even 2-3 levels lower than you is a bitch,
trying to get them to catch up with you. I learned never to tame anything
not within 1 level of me, cause it's just too big of a PITA to bother with
leveling them up, otherwise.
-Marshall

"Marshall" <Marshall@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
>> something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
>> your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
>> Thanks anyway :)
>
> I've noticed that taming beasts even 2-3 levels lower than you is a bitch,
> trying to get them to catch up with you. I learned never to tame anything
> not within 1 level of me, cause it's just too big of a PITA to bother with
> leveling them up, otherwise.
> -Marshall

I agree with this. You don't realize just how valuable your pet is until
you have one that can't tank green mobs.

I can only think of one mob that MAY be worth taming below the hunter's
level (named cat in Badlands with 1.0 attack speed for a BM spec with Spirit
Bond). Unless one has a jones for the particular graphic, there is usually
an equal or better tamable closer to the hunter's level. If on the other
hand one is inclined to spend the countless days needed to level a pet up to
your own level because of the compelling graphic of the beast, then you have
two choices. One, find the lowest level and difficulty mob that is still
green to you and kill until you are sick of trying to level the pet. Two,
turn off Growl, turn on Cower and go do mobs you can act as tank against
until you are sick of trying to level the pet. (Don't DARE do any quests
during this time since it will put you ahead of the pet. Don't DARE switch
to your pet that is your level during this time since that will put you
ahead of the low level pet, meaning your same level pet will fall behind in
levels as you level the lower pet. Be prepared to fall behind your friends
in levels since you will in fact level MUCH more slowly during this
process.)

Oh and three... pray that Blizz doesn't change the pet's graphic/attributes
that you desired so greatly. Yes I too was a victim of the Snarler fiasco
(still waiting on the promised trainable resists, lol).

Taming a particular named mob for visuals/attributes really, truly is a
scenario where a little planning will save a lot of heartache. For any
budding young hunters, do your research now and decide whether or not you
want a named or some specific graphic. Find out what level the beast is and
tame it at that level.

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

> Hi there,
> I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But he's
> L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?
> TIA
>
> --
>
> "Know who you are, Be what you know"
> --LordSpike

I posted a more complete response elsewhere in the thread, but wanted to add
one thing. Assuming in a few levels you decide the graphic isn't worth the
very considerable effort of leveling Humar, you are nearing Swamp Jaguar
level (fast approach, 1.2 attack speed) and the named cat in Badlands level
(1.0 attack speed). Either of these cats is an excellent choice for a
hunter since they are as good as or better than any pet in the game,
especially for a BM spec. You may want to consider researching them and
taming them at their level.

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:46:20 +0300, "LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
>something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
>your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
>Thanks anyway :)

I've no idea whether the advice on mob level is good or not - I'm not
convinced - but the answer to getting the XP is to tag the mob. Hit
it once yourself. If another player hasn't already tagged it, it's
yours, and you and your pet get XP.

Cheers - Ian

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:46:30 GMT, "A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net>
wrote:

>"LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>> I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But he's
>> L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>>
>> "Know who you are, Be what you know"
>> --LordSpike
>>

>I posted a more complete response elsewhere in the thread, but wanted to add
>one thing. Assuming in a few levels you decide the graphic isn't worth the
>very considerable effort of leveling Humar, you are nearing Swamp Jaguar
>level (fast approach, 1.2 attack speed) and the named cat in Badlands level
>(1.0 attack speed). Either of these cats is an excellent choice for a
>hunter since they are as good as or better than any pet in the game,
>especially for a BM spec. You may want to consider researching them and
>taming them at their level.
>
>Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

I don't understand what you mean by the Graphic, but I did notice my
GF's Pet has a little icon of a baby seal. What my hunter has I'm not
sure, but I have found that I can keep my pets lvl equal to my own,
probably because she was the same level as me when I caught her.
I am finding the lack of anything about my pet really annoying. What
patch was pet diversity removed in? I fundamentally wanted a hog,
because they were tough, but mine seems to be lacking. I noticed that
the Cat isn't the coleslaw making machine it once was. Even though
Blizzard are saying that its to use training points, I don't see that
they should have got rid of base stats that differed.

> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:46:30 GMT, "A.G. Turner" <nospamplease@my.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>> I have a Hunter L32 and yesterday I tamed Humar the Pridelord :) But
>>> he's
>>> L23. What is the fastest way to level him up to my level?
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "Know who you are, Be what you know"
>>> --LordSpike
>>>

>>I posted a more complete response elsewhere in the thread, but wanted to
>>add
>>one thing. Assuming in a few levels you decide the graphic isn't worth
>>the
>>very considerable effort of leveling Humar, you are nearing Swamp Jaguar
>>level (fast approach, 1.2 attack speed) and the named cat in Badlands
>>level
>>(1.0 attack speed). Either of these cats is an excellent choice for a
>>hunter since they are as good as or better than any pet in the game,
>>especially for a BM spec. You may want to consider researching them and
>>taming them at their level.
>>
>>Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)
>>

> I don't understand what you mean by the Graphic, but I did notice my
> GF's Pet has a little icon of a baby seal. What my hunter has I'm not
> sure, but I have found that I can keep my pets lvl equal to my own,
> probably because she was the same level as me when I caught her.

By graphic I mean the "look" of the pet. Some people tame, not for stats,
but for the pet's appearance. For instance the graphic of King B is
something like a white tiger, the graphic of The Rake is something like a
lion. The effort to level a pet up simply for the "look" (graphic) requires
a lot more dedication than most people have when there is no functional
advantage involved. They lose the levels their character could have risen
had they tamed an even level pet, they lose the game diversity of being able
to do quests freely during that period, they lose the opportunity to pull
out other pets to keep them up to their level, they lose whatever
statistical advantage other pets would give them such as faster attack or
fast approach. On balance that's a lot of downside for the upside of a pet
with a particular "look".

> I am finding the lack of anything about my pet really annoying. What
> patch was pet diversity removed in? I fundamentally wanted a hog,
> because they were tough, but mine seems to be lacking. I noticed that
> the Cat isn't the coleslaw making machine it once was. Even though
> Blizzard are saying that its to use training points, I don't see that
> they should have got rid of base stats that differed.

I can't remember which patch it was, it was something like 3 or 4 patches
back iirc.

Part of keeping pet DPS up to par is dumping some points into Beast Mastery
around pet damage, pet flurry and pet critical hits. If you put points
solely into Marks/Survival instead, your pet will begin to lag behind in
both tank ability and damage output much more quickly. A lot of
Marks/Survival hunters who bemoan the weakness of our pets are talking about
pets with zero points put into enhancing them. When your pet starts
flurrying every time it crits and crits so often you quit paying any
attention to its crits you have a very different dps than when a pet rarely
crits and never flurries. BM points make the difference.

Hogs can't learn Claw which is sort of a continual output of extra dps which
Cats can learn. While Bite has good dps output I note that with both Bite
and Growl on automatic they don't use up their focus on a regular basis.
This, to me, means there is some lost damage output by not enabling Claw
(which soaks up all the free focus that is generated). Plus crits happen on
all types of attacks so the more regular Claws increase the chances of
crits.

I believe between putting points into Beast Mastery, keeping Bite and Claw
up to level for your pet and auto enabling both, plus getting a fast attack
speed cat (1.2 attack speed or better), you will see a noticeable rise in
pet dps. However, as you level, the pet's dps won't keep pace with yours
since the pet's dps is more linear in progression whereas yours is boosted
by equipment which means your dps progression is very likely curving
upwards. This means your pet will not do the same percentage damage to mobs
as you progress, though it's damage will still increase as it levels and as
you update it's skills.

I see Blizzard's point in using training points to give pet's abilities.
That way we can have pets with the abilities but no one is stuck camping a
named, and we don't see every hunter with a Snarler or a Carrion Bird out of
Tanaris.

However, my primary issue with them was not letting us know early on that
they intended to do this in the future. As a result, many people went to
the trouble of leveling up Snarler only to have the very reason we put in
that huge effort removed.

My secondary issue was taking things like pet resistance out without
simultaneously adding in resistance as a trainable skill. As a result, our
pets took a huge hit in higher level instances by losing meaningful
resistances. Had Blizzard timed the removal of innate resistance with the
implementation of trainable resistance we would have been ok .

Anyway, that's my take on the matter. :)

"Ian Noble" <fredd@clara.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 18:46:20 +0300, "LordSpike" <lord_spike@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Same level as he, right? I'll try but I noticed something. When I kill
>>something that doesn't give me XP, Humar also doesn't get XP. So I'll try
>>your advice but I don't think it will do any help.
>>Thanks anyway :)
>
> I've no idea whether the advice on mob level is good or not - I'm not
> convinced - but the answer to getting the XP is to tag the mob. Hit
> it once yourself. If another player hasn't already tagged it, it's
> yours, and you and your pet get XP.
>
> Cheers - Ian

Pets don't get experience for mobs that are grey (no experience) to the
hunter. For a pet to gain experience the mob must be at least green (low
experience) to the hunter.

By green or grey we are refering to the color of the level number in the
icon of the mob when it is targeted. This number can be grey (no
experience), green (low experience), yellow (good experience), orange
(higher experience if you don't die), red (highest experience but you will
likely either have a long fight or die if you aren't in a group). Besides
numbers there is ?? which means you will definitely die solo and that skull
thingie that just means you are insane if you think you even have a prayer.

You are correct with regard to whose mob it is though. If a mob's name is
greyed as the result of another player having tagged it, then neither the
hunter nor the pet will get experience. So, if the hunter doesn't get
experience, the pet won't.

Hope that Helps and Happy Hunting! :)

Thank you for the long and detailed explanation. There is at least one
budding hunter that will get the best out of it :))