IDE/Raid ??

G

Alright I just purchased a new system which has 4 ide spots on it..

IDE1 - Primary, Supports PIO Mode 3,4, UltraDMA 33/Ata66/Ata100 , Ide and Atapi Cdrom
IDE2 - Secondary, same support as above
IDE3 - Supports RAID, Ultra ATA 100, 66, 33, EIDE
IDE4 - Same as #3

Now I have a IBM Deskstar 60gxp 40GB hardrive with my new system which is a ata100 drive..im not quite sure what raid is all about and i also havea 17gig ata66 drive im gonna hooke up fairly soon..im wondering if i should hook the ibm drive up to the primary ide slot or to the raid ide slot ?what does raid offer ?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
raid offers you 3 options....
raid 0
raid 1 and
raid 0+1
with raid 0 the hard drives are as if they merged producing one large volume, the combined size of the hard drives in raid... also increasing the read speeds...
with raid one the hard drives mirror each other, not advisable unless you run a server and are extremely paranoid as hard drives dont fail too often...
with raid 0+1 a minimum of 4 drives is required... there being one virtual volume the size of 2 of the drives added together also mirrored...
with raid using hard drives of different size... speed... manufacturer (or even batch) is not advised, though it should work... performance will not be improved to the potential and perhaps even worsened...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Your not going to want just one drive on the RAID controller so just put it on IDE1. If you run a RAID0 with your 40gig and 17gig your 40gig drive is going to be reduced in size to 17 to match your other hard drive ... the total size is going to show around 24gig in RAID0, so you probably won't want to run it on the RAID controller

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

Ya I started reading after I posted and figured out what raid was all about..only thing now I have to figure out is when my comp starts i get the

Ultra100 Bios Version 2 etc
Promise Inc

Then it searches for devices.., now when my HD is plugged into the IDE1 Primary position it doesnt detect anything..but when its connected to the IDE3 or 4 ide/raid connections it does..should it be doing that and what does that mean??heres my specs if its helps

Athlon 1.4ghz TBird
Gigabyte GA-7DXR with 761 Chipset
256 MB DDR memory
Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS 23 MB DDR Video
SB Live 5.1 Sound
IBM Deskstar 60gxp 40GB

FatBurger

Illustrious
You probably need to disable the onboard RAID. You shouldn't need to, but it's worth a try.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>