Whining noise coming from PC [Video included]

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRooster

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Sup guys, so this is my 3 week old PC which I built myself and as you can hear in the video from 0:09 - 0:12 you may hear a strange whining noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dFMfeYh34&feature=youtu.be

I thought it was my old hard drive which I now use for storage (for my primary drive I got a brand new WD Caviar Black 1TB) but I removed my old drive and the noise still was there. I also do have a SSD in the case aswel.

EDIT: My PC also has no performance issues, its just the noise is REALLY annoying unless I am listening to something with my headset on.

socialfox

Distinguished
That's quite the odd noise from my experience. With the few fans I had, they made a grinding noise when the bearing went bad. Still it could be the bearings like Onus pointed out.

I also know that video cards (mostly high end) and power supplies emits coil whine.

socialfox

Distinguished

I know, that's why I said "quite the odd noise" , in fact I believe that's my first time hearing such a noise... :lol:
So my assumption of power supply is probably not the cause...

McRooster

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I've got a XFX ATI 6950 2GB (Which is about 9 months old) and a Corsair HX 650 (new with the rest of the PC)

socialfox

Distinguished
Well your power supply is a quality one, now for your video card...open the side panel and listen carefully if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I believe (I may be wrong) video cards make coil whine when stressed, I seen the HD 7990 make the most terrible whine ever @ 500 fps on an old game.

Will look up the link...

McRooster

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012

I've never had problems with the video card before, I used to have it in my old PC until I built my new one.

socialfox

Distinguished

If it didn't happen before then don't worry about it....
Anyways this was the link I was going to refer above.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-16.html

Listen to the HD 7990 devil 13, makes such a high pitched coil whine that makes me wanna throw the computer out the window :lol: (Of course, I wouldn't actually do that with such hardware).

Anyways try disconnecting one fan at a time and turning it on and see if you can pinpoint which fan it's coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.