Closed

Whining noise coming from PC [Video included]

Sup guys, so this is my 3 week old PC which I built myself and as you can hear in the video from 0:09 - 0:12 you may hear a strange whining noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_dFMfeYh34&feature=youtu.be

I thought it was my old hard drive which I now use for storage (for my primary drive I got a brand new WD Caviar Black 1TB) but I removed my old drive and the noise still was there. I also do have a SSD in the case aswel.

EDIT: My PC also has no performance issues, its just the noise is REALLY annoying unless I am listening to something with my headset on.
10 answers Last reply
More about whining noise coming video included
  1. That almost sounds like a fan bearing, but it really wasn't long enough.
  2. I agree, that sounds like a fan
  3. That's quite the odd noise from my experience. With the few fans I had, they made a grinding noise when the bearing went bad. Still it could be the bearings like Onus pointed out.

I also know that video cards (mostly high end) and power supplies emits coil whine.
  4. I've heard coil whine, and it might vary with load, but I've never heard a regular quaver like that sound had; I thought of a low-speed fan somewhere instead.
  5. Onus said:
    I've heard coil whine, and it might vary with load, but I've never heard a regular quaver like that sound had; I thought of a low-speed fan somewhere instead.

I know, that's why I said "quite the odd noise" , in fact I believe that's my first time hearing such a noise... :lol:
    So my assumption of power supply is probably not the cause...
  6. socialfox said:
    That's quite the odd noise from my experience. With the few fans I had, they made a grinding noise when the bearing went bad. Still it could be the bearings like Onus pointed out.

I also know that video cards (mostly high end) and power supplies emits coil whine.

I've got a XFX ATI 6950 2GB (Which is about 9 months old) and a Corsair HX 650 (new with the rest of the PC)
  7. Well your power supply is a quality one, now for your video card...open the side panel and listen carefully if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I believe (I may be wrong) video cards make coil whine when stressed, I seen the HD 7990 make the most terrible whine ever @ 500 fps on an old game.

Will look up the link...
  8. socialfox said:
    Well your power supply is a quality one, now for your video card...open the side panel and listen carefully if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. I believe (I may be wrong) video cards make coil whine when stressed, I seen the HD 7990 make the most terrible whine ever @ 500 fps on an old game.

Will look up the link...

I've never had problems with the video card before, I used to have it in my old PC until I built my new one.
  9. McRooster said:
    I've never had problems with the video card before, I used to have it in my old PC until I built my new one.

If it didn't happen before then don't worry about it....
    Anyways this was the link I was going to refer above.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-16.html

Listen to the HD 7990 devil 13, makes such a high pitched coil whine that makes me wanna throw the computer out the window :lol: (Of course, I wouldn't actually do that with such hardware).

Anyways try disconnecting one fan at a time and turning it on and see if you can pinpoint which fan it's coming from.
  10. Would've been nice to keep the video up so other people could have an idea of what a fan bearing sounds like
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Components