Sign in with
Your question

Is this happening because my PSU is too low?

Last response: in Components
December 11, 2012 12:44:19 AM

This is my first build. I changed BIOS to boot from the DVD drive so that I could install Windows. Before this change, my system booted just fine, but after changing BIOS to boot from disk, my computer is not able to complete the boot process. Instead, it seems to get stuck at the DVD drive, which makes a loud clicking noise before the whole thing powers off. Then it powers back on, repeats the boot attempt and powers back off again. This cycle continues until I hold down the power button.

I'll include a complete list of my components below, but in short, my PSU is 500w and my GPU requires a minimum of 500w and +12volt current rating of 30 amps. Is the extra power directed to the DVD drive creating insufficient power for the rest of the system so the whole thing powers off? That I need a higher power PSU is my best guess for why this is happening, but I'd like some opinions (confirmation or otherwise) before purchasing a new PSU.

Here are my components.

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Hard Drive: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Thanks for your input!

More about : happening psu low

a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 1:11:52 AM

While its not a great PSU it actually can make 500w so that is not the problem becuase your video card isn't gaming so its not using its full power, rather its using close to minimum power. Anything lower and it would be asleep. LoL

To me it sounds like you need to get a new DVD drive.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 1:34:32 AM

schizandra said:
This is my first build. I changed BIOS to boot from the DVD drive so that I could install Windows. Before this change, my system booted just fine, but after changing BIOS to boot from disk, my computer is not able to complete the boot process. Instead, it seems to get stuck at the DVD drive, which makes a loud clicking noise before the whole thing powers off. Then it powers back on, repeats the boot attempt and powers back off again. This cycle continues until I hold down the power button.

I'll include a complete list of my components below, but in short, my PSU is 500w and my GPU requires a minimum of 500w and +12volt current rating of 30 amps. Is the extra power directed to the DVD drive creating insufficient power for the rest of the system so the whole thing powers off? That I need a higher power PSU is my best guess for why this is happening, but I'd like some opinions (confirmation or otherwise) before purchasing a new PSU.

Thanks for your input!

That power unit is garbage: ripple out the ass and cannot attain 80% efficiency when delivering over 300w.

Plus it's +12v is only capable of delivering 18 amps.

If I were you I would return the motherboard and power supply if you could, get a reasonable priced one in the ~$140 range and use the savings towards a proper power supply from corsair, seasonic, xfx, antec etc, NEVER cheap out on the part that makes your PC live or die...

m
l
Related resources
December 11, 2012 2:14:07 AM

I could simply keep the motherboard AND get a better power supply. Which I will do, I have my eye on an Antec HCG 750w.

I'm still concerned about what is making my system boot on and off. I disconnected my DVD drive, both power and SATA, and powered on my PC to see what it would do. It still booted on and off. Since the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive, and the system behaves the same whether the drive is connected or not, I'll take that as a likely indication that the the system is unable to access the contents of the drive even when it IS connected, ie a bad DVD drive.

I'll return the drive tomorrow for a replacement and see if that helps. I will also purchase a higher wattage PSU to see if that helps.
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 8:31:13 PM

schizandra said:

Here are my components.

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Power Supply: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Hard Drive: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Video Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Thanks for your input!

agree with popatim - loud clicking noise is either Opt drive or Hdd, most likely opt drive, but if you
remove side panel & try to boot you can tell which right away.

Yes, that PSU is lousy, but it will run your system once you get your other problem fixed

Tom

You don't need anywhere near 750w unless you plan to SLI/CF two GPU's

Tom
m
l
a c 281 ) Power supply
December 11, 2012 8:35:57 PM

schizandra said:
I could simply keep the motherboard AND get a better power supply. Which I will do, I have my eye on an Antec HCG 750w.

I'm still concerned about what is making my system boot on and off. I disconnected my DVD drive, both power and SATA, and powered on my PC to see what it would do. It still booted on and off. Since the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive, and the system behaves the same whether the drive is connected or not, I'll take that as a likely indication that the the system is unable to access the contents of the drive even when it IS connected, ie a bad DVD drive.

I'll return the drive tomorrow for a replacement and see if that helps. I will also purchase a higher wattage PSU to see if that helps.

Could still be a bad hdd, the component that fails most often
m
l
December 11, 2012 10:20:55 PM

To be sure, the loud clicking/buzzing is coming from the DVD drive, not the HDD. But after replacing both DVD drive and the PSU, if I'm still having issues I'll consider the HDD.

Is there any harm in getting a PSU too strong?
m
l
December 12, 2012 12:27:08 AM

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but... The first time I went into BIOS, before I changed the boot device and the whole thing stopped working, my +12v voltage output was really low. The bar was red, and I think the voltage itself was 4. something.

Are you guys certain that a low PSU isn't causing these booting problems
m
l
!