Sign in with
Your question

What cpu should I get for my needs?

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2012 1:13:32 AM

My budget isn't much (130 bucks max), so this is pretty much gonna limit my options to amd, but here's what I'll be doing.

I want to start a youtube channel, and maybe some streaming, so gaming (Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Dota 2, Minecraft with mods and HD texture packs), recording said games with fraps, and rendering videos. There will likely be times here and there when I am doing all of this at once.

So here are my cpu options:
1. Phenom ii x6 1045T (what I'm thinking is probably my best option right now)
2. Phenom ii x4 965 BE
3. Fx 6200

You'll notice I didn't list the fx 6300 or 4300, and I have a reason for that. Within my budget range, there aren't any motherboards that I can get and be 100% certain it will support vishera out of the box. I'm building on a time crunch and I can't afford to send back a board to have the bios updated. Plus, this is my first ever build, and so I'd obviously like to avoid any....unpleasant surprises along the way.

so which cpu should I get? Any advice is appreciated :) 
Also, I probably won't be overclocking yet, as I'm new to building pcs, and I don't feel comfortable OC'ing from the very start.

More about : cpu

December 11, 2012 1:29:08 AM

Do you have a SSD install on your computer yet? If not; this will help with speed; maybe more then an upgrade on your processor.
m
l
December 11, 2012 1:34:10 AM

Harry_Wild said:
Do you have a SSD install on your computer yet? If not; this will help with speed; maybe more then an upgrade on your processor.

I don't have a computer at this point, other than a crummy laptop. I'm basically building it all from the ground up. Unfortunately, I can not afford an ssd for my build.
m
l
December 11, 2012 6:13:05 AM

If you can save for one; it will be worth your while since it vastly improve performance on the entire computer - since it close to being in memory as you can get - no performance hits!

If I were you; I look at Ebay and just explore 4 to 5 year old computers and buy a top of the line desktop or tower for $200+(originally $1,100+) with Windows 7 install too and install a SSD like the Samsung 830 250GB - it like $180!

I was looking for CPU and I just could not believe the prices on full loaded top of the line Lenovos; Dells, etc... The price of the used CPUs were close to the price of a full load computer with the same CPU that I was looking at.
m
l
!