Sign in with
Your question

Three monitors on a GeForce GTX 550 / DQ67SW mobo?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2012 6:02:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new computer here at work. It has an Intel DQ67SW motherboard as well as a GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card

I have been told that I will be unable to run three monitors on this thing.. Is that true or is there a workaround? The video card presently has 2 displays hooked up to it - I figured I could use the onboard video for the third.

Thanks in advance for your advice
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 7:41:03 PM

I don't think you can go more than 2 monitors at a time unless you're running SLI.
June 7, 2012 2:11:54 PM

What's the reason though? There are 2 outputs on the video card and 1 onboard video port on the motherboard. You'd think you'd be able to do a 3 monitor setup.

The board doesn't support SLI either, but.. would another option be to purchase a cheaper video card, stick it into a PCI (not PCI-e) slot, and set it up like that?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 4:09:09 PM

The output on the board is for the integrated graphics. You can't run two displays off of different cards. And no, you can't put a PCI-e card into a PCI slot, I believe. Also, it has to be the same chipset as the one that you're running as a primary for them to work together.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 4:11:42 PM

Quote:
The output on the board is for the integrated graphics. You can't run two displays off of different cards. And no, you can't put a PCI-e card into a PCI slot, I believe. Also, it has to be the same chipset as the one that you're running as a primary for them to work together.

Scratch that, turns out I'm wrong. See greghome's reply.
June 7, 2012 4:21:57 PM

get a hd 5450 they have VGA,dvi and hdmi. then just buy adapters you need and your laughing!
June 7, 2012 6:38:41 PM

This motherboard only has 1 PCE slot - so I can't do SLI

Am I then out of luck? :(  No workarounds?
June 8, 2012 10:16:42 AM

but there rare and pretty expensive.

what connections does your monitor use?
June 8, 2012 3:13:45 PM

I hear conflicting things (here and elsewhere) - some people say that if I want 3 monitors that both my video cards have to be the same - some people say that the video cards have to be connected via SLI - some people say that SLI would limit me to 2 monitors - some say that I can use whatever video cards I want - and some say that I should be able to set my onboard video as primary in BIOS and get 3 displays that way

I'm trying that last thing first and going from there :)  Keep your thoughts coming!
June 8, 2012 7:10:42 PM

This is a work machine so I won't need 3 monitors for gaming, just display purposes. Good to hear!
September 5, 2012 6:32:55 AM

I'm running a gtx550 ti and integrated graphics on my machine. My bios has a setting to keep the onboard video running with the external video but keeping the gtx as primary. I have a vga monitor on both cards and an HDMI connection on the gtx. It works great.

For gaming I use softTH which renders a triple width frame using the gtx and then splits it over all 3 monitors.
October 15, 2012 3:06:07 AM

rob_h said:
I'm running a gtx550 ti and integrated graphics on my machine. My bios has a setting to keep the onboard video running with the external video but keeping the gtx as primary. I have a vga monitor on both cards and an HDMI connection on the gtx. It works great.

For gaming I use softTH which renders a triple width frame using the gtx and then splits it over all 3 monitors.

Hi, quick question: What motherboard are you using? I have a gtx 550 ti also and integrated graphics on my motherboard, but I can seem to get them both working simutaneously. Im in BIOS and I can only choose integrated, pci or pci-e, but not both. Im assuming this is a motherboard thing and I'll have to get another one.
!