Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overheating Cpu under Load

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2012 1:58:10 AM

Ok so
Heres the rundown. Cpu fan is going out. Fan makes alot of noise and i bought a replacement, it hasnt got here yet. I have Core temp and Speed fan installed to monitor it since i still need to use my pc and such between now and when i get the fan. I recently attempted to overclock my gpu, lightly not a lot, and shortly after core temp shut down my pc saying my cpu reached a critical heat on one core and it shut me down. I restarted after letting it cool down, and reversed the over clock on the card. It still over heats on the cpu when i put it under load (it never goes over 26% on the cpu usage meter.) Only one core gets used 100% and its the one that over heats. My question is, is this a fan issue and my new fan should fix it or is a core issue and i need to get it replaced?

More about : overheating cpu load

a c 146 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 4:05:33 AM

rayquazn said:
Ok so
Heres the rundown. Cpu fan is going out. Fan makes alot of noise and i bought a replacement, it hasnt got here yet. I have Core temp and Speed fan installed to monitor it since i still need to use my pc and such between now and when i get the fan. I recently attempted to overclock my gpu, lightly not a lot, and shortly after core temp shut down my pc saying my cpu reached a critical heat on one core and it shut me down. I restarted after letting it cool down, and reversed the over clock on the card. It still over heats on the cpu when i put it under load (it never goes over 26% on the cpu usage meter.) Only one core gets used 100% and its the one that over heats. My question is, is this a fan issue and my new fan should fix it or is a core issue and i need to get it replaced?

You can't run a CPU with a broken or almost dead fan. If the fan is dying or dead heat won't effectively be dissipated causing overheating. If you got a decent fan/heatsink it should solve your problem.
Score
December 11, 2012 7:30:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes i am aware that a cpu fan and heat sync are needed for a cpu to stay cool and function properly. What i was more concerned about was whether or not i should be concerned that only a core overheated and caused my core temp program to shut down my pc or not. Im just afraid that maybe the cpu is damaged. However the fan is on its last legs, and that is most likely the issue. I just wanted to put my mind at ease.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 79 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 8:07:03 AM

rayquazn said:
Thanks for the reply. Yes i am aware that a cpu fan and heat sync are needed for a cpu to stay cool and function properly. What i was more concerned about was whether or not i should be concerned that only a core overheated and caused my core temp program to shut down my pc or not. Im just afraid that maybe the cpu is damaged. However the fan is on its last legs, and that is most likely the issue. I just wanted to put my mind at ease.

Its quiet normal for one single core to take up all the load. that just means that the program or application is not highly threaded that more cores are required. Rest assured.

As for running your cpu without a heatsink/fan, you can try downclocking your cpu by setting the multiplier to its minimum value in the BIOS to limit the heat but please read about "hot carrier damage" first.

For a fact I can tell you that my downclocked i5 (refer sig) reaches 60 C running 4 thread SMP Folding. In simpler words, with a Heatsink/Fan, running a taxing program still heats a downclocked cpu

I recommend against running your cpu without a heat sink fan but if you do decide to try it, try to navigate BIOS quickly coz it also runs a busy loop on one core and you system might shutdown even before you can change a setting.

Amen for Temp Diodes and Fail-safes

-satyam
a c 146 à CPUs
December 11, 2012 2:26:03 PM

rayquazn said:

No whatver you were doing happened to be using mostly one core and it overheated.
Score
December 11, 2012 5:17:29 PM

Thank you all for putting my mind at ease. Im a tech nerd my self, but heating is something that i have less than stellar experience with. I just bought this six core processor last year and ive been a tad worried around every corner that i did something wrong or something was broken, only to find out it was a simple problem. The fan is still running, but its making a lot of noise, and it seems to be running slower. My new fan is getting here on thursday, so as long as i dont do any video editing or gaming i should be fine. thanks again all. :hello: 
Score
December 11, 2012 5:18:13 PM

Best answer selected by rayquazn.
Score
!