Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Upgrade Help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 6, 2012 7:32:05 PM

Heya everyone.

I have a pc thats a few years old now. I do some online gaming, mostly on World of Warcraft and It runs pretty well on it. Usually at 40-60(capped) fps in god areas. A little less in busy places, but definately comfortably playable. I kept the settings as reccomended in WoW which are mostly on Good.

My boyfriends PC is a little naff, and whilst a whole new pc really is in order, for a temporary measure I suggested to him about trying out a better graphics card himself. At the moment he is running a Radeon HD 5450, and in busy areas he's dropping to 2-10 fps. I've done some research and figured that that is a very basic card.

So I was thinking, if I upgraded my card to something a little better, then he could have my graphics card.

Could anyone recommend an upgrade to my 4850? I don't want to spend more than £100 really.

My PC is this: http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/11642561/-/Product.html
with an upgraded Power supply to 650w.

Thanks in advance.

More about : graphics upgrade

June 6, 2012 7:41:44 PM

auntarie said:
Get a GTX 550ti. It will be beastly for WoW. But you might still get lag in crowded areas, because that depends on the CPU. I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thankyou for your advice. I don't know much about the GeForce range, but it looks pretty good. I was told some time ago that if I have a AMD it's better to stick with a radeon.. not sure if thats at all true?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 7:47:11 PM

Not really, it comes down to personal preference and to which games you play. But Blizzard's games favor Nvidia, so I'd go with that.
June 6, 2012 8:35:42 PM

auntarie said:
Not really, it comes down to personal preference and to which games you play. But Blizzard's games favor Nvidia, so I'd go with that.

ahh ok, It seems to have good ratings so I will think about that one. What do you think about the HD 6850? Would that be an increase to what I have also?
a b U Graphics card
June 6, 2012 8:58:53 PM

Yes, it will. It will be a lot more powerful, less noisy and more power efficient too. It is actually more powerful than a GTX 550ti, so if you can find one somewhere for a good price that will probably be your best option.
June 6, 2012 9:18:56 PM

Thankyou very much, you've been very helpful :) 
June 6, 2012 9:22:50 PM

If you aren't very good with software, keeping Radeon might relive some hassle of having to change out drivers, etc.

A 6850 is going to run great. My wife has a 6870 in her rig, and it does WoW great.
Usually 45-60(CAP) @ 1680x1050 Ultra 8XAA.
Then again, so does my 6970 @ 1920x1080 Ultra 8XAA, but that's due to CPU limit.
We all have AMD systems.

I wouldn't waste much money on a GPU at this point, because it's not going to net you a whole lot.
A 6850 is going to play a lot like a 4850 because you're limited by the CPU in this situation, both cards are powerful enough that you hit a wall with your processor.

The one place you'll see a difference is if you can turn on the DX11 with a newer card.
As long as you're on Vista or 7 you can do this in the game and net a few more FPS.
You may look at something like a 5770/6770/7770. That's really the lowest point you should go before you'll see the difference.
June 6, 2012 9:36:15 PM

dannoddd said:
If you aren't very good with software, keeping Radeon might relive some hassle of having to change out drivers, etc.

A 6850 is going to run great. My wife has a 6870 in her rig, and it does WoW great.
Usually 45-60(CAP) @ 1680x1050 Ultra 8XAA.
Then again, so does my 6970 @ 1920x1080 Ultra 8XAA, but that's due to CPU limit.
We all have AMD systems.

I wouldn't waste much money on a GPU at this point, because it's not going to net you a whole lot.
A 6850 is going to play a lot like a 4850 because you're limited by the CPU in this situation, both cards are powerful enough that you hit a wall with your processor.

The one place you'll see a difference is if you can turn on the DX11 with a newer card.
As long as you're on Vista or 7 you can do this in the game and net a few more FPS.
You may look at something like a 5770/6770/7770. That's really the lowest point you should go before you'll see the difference.

Ohrite I see. I am pretty happy with the card I have atm, but like I say, I was thinking about giving it to him and getting a little upgrade. If you say 6870 runs her rig on Ultra at those fps thats brilliant. I only run my wow at Mostly Good for the best setting. I have view distance up high. I think I can get hold of a 6850 between £100-130, although I just noticed something.

I saw it is PCI Express 2.1, will that be ok for my system or wont it accept it?
June 6, 2012 9:39:15 PM

The only setting dropped is the ultra shadows, because they cripple everything. They're coded terribly.

PCI Express is backwards compatible, so at the worst you'll be at PCIe 2.0 which you won't be able to notice.

Even the most advanced GPUs don't see benefit past PCIe 2.0 x8. Others will argue that the 1-2 fps prove they do...whatever. :D 

I think you'd be really happy with the 6850, they're great cards.
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 6:09:15 AM

^2 fps mean the world, man :D  Anyways, the 6870 is a terrific card, but you don't really need it for WoW. A 6850 will be your best bet because it's the best bang-for-buck out of all the mentioned.

Btw, can you post some of your boyfriend's PC specs? If his current card is weak and it is a pre-built PC, there's a good chance the PSU won't be powerful enough for a newer, faster card.
June 7, 2012 2:12:59 PM

auntarie said:
^2 fps mean the world, man :D  Anyways, the 6870 is a terrific card, but you don't really need it for WoW. A 6850 will be your best bet because it's the best bang-for-buck out of all the mentioned.

Btw, can you post some of your boyfriend's PC specs? If his current card is weak and it is a pre-built PC, there's a good chance the PSU won't be powerful enough for a newer, faster card.

I've asked him what the psu is but he hasnt had a look yet so waiting to find out. I did say that he would possible need a new psu for a new graphics card too. I will have to find out the specs soon.
June 9, 2012 5:41:20 PM

He's had a look at the PSU but he says the only thing he can see on it is DCOP Watt 255 and On Watt 115., but we're not sure what this means.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2012 6:58:31 AM

I believe that means the maximum output it can deliver is 255W. That's not going to be enough. 6850 requires a minimum of 500W. I'd recommend something at least 550W and by a big company(Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, Antec), just to be sure. I can't really find one online right now but I'll post when I do.
!