Can't save my Power Options

I am setting a new PC (a Notebook, WXP FR P2) for someone else.

In WXP \Start \Settings \Control Panel \Power Options, I have
the default profil selected, say "Notebook". In order to not
alter the default, I leave unchanged the current power options
and their name, say "Notebook", and "Save as" under a new name,
say "Battery Cycle"; then I change the settings (e.g. time
before powering down monitor or HD under Power or Battery) and
click "Apply".

Then I can select back the previous profile (e.g. "Notebook")
and click "Apply"; then select again "Battery Cycle" and click
"Apply".

This is how it worked perfect. But now on a that new PC (WXP FR
SP2), it works like that until now, but if I click "OK" at that
stage, then come back through "Start \Settings \Control Panel
\Power Options", my new profile "Battery Cycle" is gone!

I remember having the same problem a few weeks ago on another
new PC, and finding the reason/solution, but today I am unable
to find it again.

Thanks a lot to the good guy who could help a featherbrain.

Paris, Sun 24 Apr 2005 01:18:20 +0400

I found:

In Registry \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\
Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies,
you have a number of keys, one for each Policy.

Each key has 4 entries: default, Description, Name, Value.
If any of the 4 is missing, delete that key, or (due to a bug)
the following keys will be ignored by Windows at loading.

Thanks to Scott who, reporting this in
« Power Options - Can't save changes »
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?query=Can%27t+save+Power+Scheme&dg=&cat=en-us-ms-winxp&lang=en&cr=US&pt=&catlist=B0DE109D-10E1-4C3C-BCC9-8EB7A22FC6A0&dglist=&ptlist=&exp=&sloc=en-us
made me fix my problem.

Paris, Sun 24 Apr 2005 18:37:25 +0200