New Gaming Build

Trying to put together a decent gaming computer for under $900. This is what I put together at pcpartpicker.com

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/xox

Please give me any advice you have about the different components I chose:)

Thanks!
46 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. Kopeland said:
    Trying to put together a decent gaming computer for under $900. This is what I put together at pcpartpicker.com

    http://pcpartpicker.com/b/xox

    Please give me any advice you have about the different components I chose:)

    Thanks!

    if your not going to switch to an ib cpu then see if a x68 mb is cheaper for you. also look at this months and in a few days next months combo deals at micro center...there on page 20 or so in there flyers. they were giving people 50 bucks off a cpu with mb combo.
  2. take out the 670 and put in a 7950 because a 670 in a $900 build is insane you would spend not enough money on the other parts and btw do you have a microcenter near you if not then the cpu will be about $40 more
    mobo:asrock extreme4 z77
    cpu:same
    heatsink:same
    you put the 750gb HDD when they're is no such thing either 500gb or 1tb
    case:same
    just get better parts instead of a good cpu and gpu because that psu could fry both
  3. devilofdeaths said:
    take out the 670 and put in a 7950 because a 670 in a $900 build is insane you would spend not enough money on the other parts and btw do you have a microcenter near you if not then the cpu will be about $40 more
    mobo:asrock extreme4 z77
    cpu:same
    heatsink:same
    you put the 750gb HDD when they're is no such thing either 500gb or 1tb
    case:same
    just get better parts instead of a good cpu and gpu because that psu could fry both

    Wrong. There is.
    http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=Cta6ffcsUUMKIIYb36AHskIEgof2GrwLxmpanQqHWgoKWAQgFEAEgtlQoBVCm_MPv_v____8BYMmGgIDkpMAToAHijbP_A8gBB6oEIE_QGARDIcMtJo8zV-mzV3evOzsmBcR4SCaDzqXkMW0OgAWQTsAFBaAGJg&sig=AOD64_3VQRO313iO09Y5i7rYlUaRVA6wRg&ctype=5&ved=0CGsQww8&adurl=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx%3FItem%3DN82E16822148702%26nm_mc%3DKNC-GoogleAdwords%26cm_mmc%3DKNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA&rct=j&q=seagate+750gb+barracuda"

    His build is just fine with a GTX 670...
  4. Nothing in his budget is cheap.
  5. devilofdeaths said:
    i never said that it was a bad build i said that he is spending almost half his money on a gpu and usually that not a good choice because that means cheap parts(besides the cpu)

    *sigh* Need I explain the "basics"? For a gaming rig, the video card IS WHERE YOU WANT TO GO THE HEAVIEST.

    Its a good build, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. With the exception of maybe the relatively low capacity hard drive, which is easily corrected by adding additional drives when the storage is needed.
  6. nekulturny said:
    *sigh* Need I explain the "basics"? For a gaming rig, the video card IS WHERE YOU WANT TO GO THE HEAVIEST.

    Its a good build, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. With the exception of maybe the relatively low capacity hard drive, which is easily corrected by adding additional drives when the storage is needed.

    yes i know that the gpu is the one where you want to spend most of your money but a $900 build with a $400 gpu is insane it would be to lopsided he/she did good in including the card but spending almost half your budget on a card is insane and idiotic
  7. No, it is not. Have you not heard us say it is a balanced build? It is not idiotic and you have someone experienced (nekel) telling you that..
  8. azeem40 said:
    No, it is not. Have you not heard us say it is a balanced build? It is not idiotic and you have someone experienced (nekel) telling you that..


    do you think the psu I chose is going to be enough to power the gtx 670?
  9. smorizio said:
    if your not going to switch to an ib cpu then see if a x68 mb is cheaper for you. also look at this months and in a few days next months combo deals at micro center...there on page 20 or so in there flyers. they were giving people 50 bucks off a cpu with mb combo.


    I don't have a microcenter nearby or I could definitely save some money there. Also, I guess I don't really know what an ib cpu is. Could you explain?:)
  10. Kopeland said:
    do you think the psu I chose is going to be enough to power the gtx 670?

    the 700w is not that good and a 670 needs a 550w psu atleast and the 600w version of the ModXStream is a better build quality than the 700w version
  11. if you dont have a microcenter nearby than you cant buy from them unless you go and pick it up because microcenter is a in-store pickup only
  12. Actually, Antec NEO ECO 520W can run a 670.
  13. really huh well a 520w psu is kinda on edge of left over power
  14. Not really.

    http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5818/46562.png
    Uses 317W at full load on a very demanding game. 520W is PLENTY.
  15. that's just the gpu right
  16. No, it is with a much more power consuming CPU and motherboard. Here is the test system they used:

    Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.3GHz
    Motherboard: EVGA X79 SLI
    Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.​2.​3.​1022
    Power Supply: Antec True Power Quattro 1200
    Hard Disk: Samsung 470 (256GB)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1867 4 x 4GB (8-10-9-26)
    Case: Thermaltake Spedo Advance
    Monitor: Samsung 305T
    Asus PA246Q
    Video Cards: AMD Radeon HD 5870
    AMD Radeon HD 6950
    AMD Radeon HD 6970
    AMD Radeon HD 7870
    AMD Radeon HD 7950
    AMD Radeon HD 7970
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Video Drivers: NVIDIA ForceWare 301.24
    NVIDIA ForceWare 301.33
    NVIDIA ForceWare 301.34
    AMD Catalyst 12.4
    OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Read more at http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga/4#RV4xEVm7mprbZTeS.99

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga/4
  17. devilofdeaths said:
    yes i know that the gpu is the one where you want to spend most of your money but a $900 build with a $400 gpu is insane it would be to lopsided he/she did good in including the card but spending almost half your budget on a card is insane and idiotic


    For the sake of playing Devil's Advocate, HA!. It has to be sufficient to pair with a GTX 670 because there currently isn't a better performing CPU on the market for gaming than the 2500K/3570Ks. i7 aren't really any better, as HyperThreads are something the programming languages games are coded in are too primitive to even know what a HyperThread is much less how to use it.

    Now, I'll give the devil his dues (I really cant help myself with the lame jokes lol). I think the GTX 670 is a little much for just about any gamer build. But my opinion is merely formulated as an opinion regarding the spending of money, its not because the CPU isn't good enough to handle it or the system is unbalanced. If the OP wants it, more power to em.
  18. After reading some reviews on the MSI Z77A I see some people have had problems with it. Have any of you had any experience with this motherboard or know much about it? Also, if you have any suggestions of another motherboard around the same price that's just as good, I'd be happy to hear it:)

    I don't really plan on overclocking anything either, as that scares me. Should I swap out any of these parts if I don't plan on overclocking?

    Thanks
  19. ASRock Z77 Extreme4. There is a reason why it is recommended. :)
  20. awesome! thanks for the advice:)
  21. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1021001 $146.98 save: $18.00 - $25.00 Mail In Rebates FREE SHIPPING
    CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
    Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

    http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-300r-compact-pc-gaming-case.html/ <----- another look at that case with links to online reviews


    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4869/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_review/index.html <----- GTX 660 ti 2GB Review w/benchmarks (due for release August 16th) $250 - $300

    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Evga-GTX_660_Ti-GeForce-Kepler-gpu,16453.html <----- more on that card
  22. I'd wait for the video card to actually come out, I wouldn't take those benches as gospel. They even said on their introduction page @ Tweaktown, Nvidia didn't give them a reference card to bench, they're reporting benches based on un-cited sources.
  23. Yeah, I came across the tweaktown article yesterday. I want to put this computer together soon, but I also don't want to spend $400 on the gtx 670 if the 660 ti is nearly as good and $100 cheaper. It's worth waiting a few days for solid information to possibly save $100 or more.
  24. Kopeland said:
    Yeah, I came across the tweaktown article yesterday. I want to put this computer together soon, but I also don't want to spend $400 on the gtx 670 if the 660 ti is nearly as good and $100 cheaper. It's worth waiting a few days for solid information to possibly save $100 or more.

    I honestly don't believe those benches. If they are accurate, somebody is violating a non-disclosure agreement. That website claims they found em on the internet, far as I can tell they didn't say where they found em. For good reason I'm sure, cus like I said, whoever leaked them is in trouble.
  25. It won't be for a few weeks before solid information is received.
  26. nekulturny said:
    I'd wait for the video card to actually come out, I wouldn't take those benches as gospel. They even said on their introduction page @ Tweaktown, Nvidia didn't give them a reference card to bench, they're reporting benches based on un-cited sources.

    Tweaktown did that review. They state that right on the first page of that review. They did the same thing with the IB 3770K well before it was released. Nvidia has screwed them over a few times as they stated in that review but they received an engineers version of that card. Tweaktown also mentioned on there why it didn't do a full out review like temps and power consumption. I would think it would be worth the two week wait to see the benches of that card on sites such as here and Anandtech seeing how that card should fit in the $250 - $300 range. If it runs even with the 7950 then I would say that card will no doubt be a bargain seeing how the Nvidia 6xx cards have better temps and lower power consumption than their AMD counter parts (7xxx cards).
  27. azeem40 said:
    It won't be for a few weeks before solid information is received.

    Based on Kepler's performance so far, I'm putting my bullshit card down. lol

  28. Bullshit as in what?
  29. That those benches will be consistent with a more respectable website like Anadntech or Tom's. Nvidia doesn't give them cards for a good reason, if they're leaking stuff, and I were Nvidia I wouldn't give em even low-mid level cards after that.
  30. I would trust websites like HardOCP far before Tom's tbh.
  31. azeem40 said:
    I would trust websites like HardOCP far before Tom's tbh.

    I trust some of the article writers at Tom's, but Don Woligroski aka Cleeve, if he told me it was raining, I'd stick my head out the door. Unfortunately, hes the main man behind Tom's.
  32. This is my new parts list as it stands right now.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGpB

    I'm still debating on whether or not to go with the HAF 912 instead of the 922 to bring the price down some more. Have any of you worked with either and have some input?:) Also, I still might be waiting a while to see what the gtx 660 ti has to offer instead of getting the gtx 670 right now.

    Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me so far:)
  33. Kopeland said:
    This is my new parts list as it stands right now.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGpB

    I'm still debating on whether or not to go with the HAF 912 instead of the 922 to bring the price down some more. Have any of you worked with either and have some input?:) Also, I still might be waiting a while to see what the gtx 660 ti has to offer instead of getting the gtx 670 right now.

    Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me so far:)

    The 912 has crappy stock cooling seeing how it only comes with two 120mm fans...an intake and a exhaust. Plenty of room to add additonal fans but that adds up ($$).

    Look for a case with front 3.0 USB ports seeing how all these new 1155 boards come with the front 3.0 USB header or add this to that 922.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996037 $12.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Biostar CABLEUSB3.0 USB 3.0 Cable Bracket
  34. Why_Me said:
    The 912 has crappy stock cooling seeing how it only comes with two 120mm fans...an intake and a exhaust. Plenty of room to add additonal fans but that adds up ($$).

    Look for a case with front 3.0 USB ports seeing how all these new 1155 boards come with the front 3.0 USB header or add this to that 922.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811996037 $12.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Biostar CABLEUSB3.0 USB 3.0 Cable Bracket


    Some of the other cases I looked at had 3.0 USB. I guess I'm not really sure if I'd ever have use for the higher speed. I'm mainly going to be using this computer for gaming. Would there still be an advantage to having it?
  35. Kopeland said:
    Some of the other cases I looked at had 3.0 USB. I guess I'm not really sure if I'd ever have use for the higher speed. I'm mainly going to be using this computer for gaming. Would there still be an advantage to having it?

    Not atm and if and when you ever feel the need for front 3.0 USB then you can add that Biostar.
  36. So, I think I'm actually going to be purchasing the parts today and just wanted to run a couple things by you guys first. First of all, this is my current build list.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGpB

    Right now I have the EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition on my list, but I'm wondering if I should go with the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce since it seems to be the coolest running of the 670's. What are your opinions on this?

    Also, I switched to the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 because it was recommended for my build, but I've been reading some reviews where people say it seems to be really flimsy. Have any of you actually worked with the board?

    Last thing...do you think the RAM I chose will fit ok with the CM Hyper 212 EVO?
  37. Kopeland said:
    So, I think I'm actually going to be purchasing the parts today and just wanted to run a couple things by you guys first. First of all, this is my current build list.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dGpB

    Right now I have the EVGA GTX 670 FTW edition on my list, but I'm wondering if I should go with the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce since it seems to be the coolest running of the 670's. What are your opinions on this?

    Also, I switched to the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 because it was recommended for my build, but I've been reading some reviews where people say it seems to be really flimsy. Have any of you actually worked with the board?

    Last thing...do you think the RAM I chose will fit ok with the CM Hyper 212 EVO?

    Everything looks good but the psu. I would go with a 750w psu to give you some headroom for over clocking, etc...if you ever decide to add another one of those cards in the future.

    As far as that board being flimsy it's thinner than the usual ATX and it's smaller than your normal ATX board. It's how they manage to sell it for so cheap. It's the same with the Asus Z77 Lk and Gigabyte ud3x. Those boards are a bit smaller and thinner and don't always hit the front standoffs. But unless you plan on using your case for a soccer ball it shouldn't be a problem.

    With the RAM I would look at the G.Skill Ares version of that RAM...it's the same RAM as the Ripjaws but with the low profile heat spreaders. It comes in orange and blue heat sinks and retails for $43.99 @ newegg for a 2x4GB set. That way there's no guessing on the clearance.
  38. Why_Me said:
    Everything looks good but the psu. I would go with a 750w psu to give you some headroom for over clocking, etc...if you ever decide to add another one of those cards in the future.

    As far as that board being flimsy it's thinner than the usual ATX and it's smaller than your normal ATX board. It's how they manage to sell it for so cheap. It's the same with the Asus Z77 Lk and Gigabyte ud3x. Those boards are a bit smaller and thinner and don't always hit the front standoffs. But unless you plan on using your case for a soccer ball it shouldn't be a problem.

    With the RAM I would look at the G.Skill Ares version of that RAM...it's the same RAM as the Ripjaws but with the low profile heat spreaders. It comes in orange and blue heat sinks and retails for $43.99 @ newegg for a 2x4GB set. That way there's no guessing on the clearance.


    Awesome, I'll look into the psu and ram. Any idea which of the video cards I should go with?
  39. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dPZ3

    That is my final build. I just ordered the parts and can't wait to put this thing together:) Thanks to everyone who helped me put this list together.
  40. The Gigabyte GTX 670 puts air back into the case, where the case fans have to deal with it. I recommend the EVGA FTW.
  41. azeem40 said:
    The Gigabyte GTX 670 puts air back into the case, where the case fans have to deal with it. I recommend the EVGA FTW.


    I read a lot of reviews for the EVGA FTW that made me a little nervous about it. I normally like EVGA and haven't really had any problems with their parts, but after I read those reviews I decided to go with the Gigabyte. Also, I plan on keeping my case super cool to help with the heat it puts out.
  42. Kopeland said:
    I read a lot of reviews for the EVGA FTW that made me a little nervous about it. I normally like EVGA and haven't really had any problems with their parts, but after I read those reviews I decided to go with the Gigabyte. Also, I plan on keeping my case super cool to help with the heat it puts out.

    If that Gigabyte 670 seems a little flimsy after you get it mounted the EVGA back plate for the 680 fits that Gigabyte card just fine and goes for around $20 + free shipping @ newegg.
  43. What problems?
  44. azeem40 said:
    What problems?


    Sorry, was away from the computer for a while.

    It just scared me coming across quite a few "DOA" reviews (I know that can happen with any brand...I just saw quite a few on newegg for this card). I also saw a couple reviews where the card just overheated. I guess the main reason I went with the Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce is because it was able to beat out a GTX 680 ref card in multiple instances and manage to stay VERY cool. I feel like I can push enough air through my HAF 922 that the heat that comes off the card shouldn't be a problem. I hope.
  45. Ok, so after having major doubts about getting the Gigabyte Windforce instead of the EVGA FTW....I cancelled the Windforce and ordered the FTW instead. I really like knowing that EVGA is behind my product now, and years down the road if I decide to add another EVGA FTW I won't have to deal with another Windforce spewing heat into my case. 1 might not have been a problem, but I think 2 probably could be.

    Another thing I thought about after I ordered my parts (of course I think about these things after...) is that I might have a problem with the CM EVO possibly being too heavy for the ASRock Extreme4, since I heard that this motherboard is a little thinner than most. Maybe the EVO is super light, I don't know. Do you guys think this will be a problem at all?

    Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Computer Systems Product